Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looks like the Reds are feeling rather blue!!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
REAL supporters understand. Plastics not so much.

Just a thought.
They are the plastic population then.......95% wearing the red scarfs. Still, I'm sure the abstainers would love their team to be playing in front of 3000 hard core BLUEbirds at their previous shit heap.

Just a thought.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I feel sorry for Cardiff fans, their stadium has been taken over, huge Malaysian flags, lots of "Malaysia" advertising boards and the big screen constantly going red and showing "Malaysia" throughout the game whilst their Bluebird team is playing in red.

I wouldn't put up with that kind of thing at the Albion, it seems wrong.

BUT why the f*** did they all wear those red scarves, or at least a big majority of them. Have they given up the fight? Surely it was a great chance to show them what they thought by chucking them on the pitch etc. But I saw maybe ten of these chucked on the pitch, whilst most just sat there in silence proudly wearing their freebie scarves. Just struck me that because things have gone well on the pitch they aren't that bothered about the red shirts anymore.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sad. If identity doesn't matter, just support a club at the top.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sad. If identity doesn't matter, just support a club at the top.
The clubs identity isn't a shirt colour, the players or management. These things do change from time to time....its the fans that stay the same!

The fans are a clubs identity, always have been. The rest really doesn't matter.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The kit is red because red is seen as a lucky colour in Asia and would be more marketable to Asians, or in this particular example, Malaysia.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Get to the Premier League, and they'll be renamed as Cardiff Malaysia, or worse as Malaysia Cardiff ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The clubs identity isn't a shirt colour, the players or management. These things do change from time to time....its the fans that stay the same!

The fans are a clubs identity, always have been. The rest really doesn't matter.
I can only partly see that point of view. I accept it's not just a shirt colour, but Cardiff is to be a club for the Malaysian fans, and for the locals to be ignored. You say the fans are a clubs identity, well Cardiff will have more Malaysian fans that Welsh fans.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The kit is red because red is seen as a lucky colour in Asia and would be more marketable to Asians, or in this particular example, Malaysia.

Wouldn't they be better advised making the club more marketable to people from Wales, or to be more particular Cardiff?

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

to embellish this, "blue bird" in Hokkien (a malay/chinese dialect popular in singapore/malaysia) is slang for your knob, so effectively they are trying to market "the bell-ends" in Asia...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I can only partly see that point of view. I accept it's not just a shirt colour, but Cardiff is to be a club for the Malaysian fans, and for the locals to be ignored. You say the fans are a clubs identity, well Cardiff will have more Malaysian fans that Welsh fans.
Not at the stadium.....unless of course they do a Wimbledon and become Kuala Lumpur Redbirds or something.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've been reading up on Cardiff's plight and it's almost virtually identical to that which led Pompey down the swanney.

Massive transfer fees and debts built up by previous administrations prior to the Malaysians buying the club out a couple of years ago. Paying £5 for players like Michael Chopra and transfer fees & salaries in excess of £1million and stacking up debts of over £40 million (which I believe are still owed).

Cardiff changed their home colours to red and black as well as their badge from the 2012–13 season, in exchange for an investment plan from the Malaysian owners including a new training facility, stadium expansion and a transfer budget.[30] They went onto to having their best start to a league campaign ever, whilst also breaking the club record of 9 consecutive home wins, when they won their tenth home game against former manager Dave Jones' Sheffield Wednesday side.[31]

Cardiff's colour change coincided with a record-breaking spell of good form. Winning each of their first ten home league games for the first time in the club's history, Cardiff topped the Championship with a ten-point cushion after twenty-eight games of the season.

The Malaysians bought Cardiff out in 2010 and if I'm right, have said that they will bail the club out financially providing that they are rebranded to make them more commercially attractive back in Malaysia.

Ridsdale (surprise, surprise) & Sam Hammam (surprise, surprise) have riddled the club with debt and all for the sake of the Premier League.

Prior to the Malaysians taking over, it appeared very likely that winding up orders and administration was staring them in the face, just the same as they did with our friends from down the road in Hampshire.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010

think we found that out a few years ago:wave:

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
I expect Tan will use some of his Sky Money to install red seats after promotion. They were giving away fans red scarfs as well and I for one will be wearing my lucky red scarf on Saturday

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

But it is also about tradition and history - which all fans subscribe to. OK, nicknames, shirts etc change from time to time and this will always generate debate and challenges by those who have see some of these things as part of their club's history.
We are the Seagulls, and I doubt if any of us would be happy (as we werent when they tried to impose Dolphins on us) if some bright sponsor wanted to change us to Pigeons (whatever).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
But it is also about tradition and history - which all fans subscribe to. OK, nicknames, shirts etc change from time to time and this will always generate debate and challenges by those who have see some of these things as part of their club's history.
We are the Seagulls, and I doubt if any of us would be happy (as we werent when they tried to impose Dolphins on us) if some bright sponsor wanted to change us to Pigeons (whatever).
My friend is a Cardiff die hard, his attitude is that he'd rather be in L1 playing in front of 5000 than wear the red shirt.....he is willing to forgo the Stadium, the Craig Bellemys, the new training ground and upturn in fan base all for a shirt (that'll be changed back to blue as soon as Tan tires of them)....he's now stopped going to home games so he doesn't put money into the club.

I think he's an idiot.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
to embellish this, "blue bird" in Hokkien (a malay/chinese dialect popular in singapore/malaysia) is slang for your knob, so effectively they are trying to market "the bell-ends" in Asia...

Makes me more suspicious of Tan. If red is lucky and blue is "nob" why buy the nobs? Answer - because they're desperate for the cash.

Our Tony may be a poker player but he's a pro poker player and he knows how to weigh up risk. The situation at Cardiff is akin to going all in on a pair of 8s before the flop because you have to. Shit or bust.

I've also worked round much of Asia as well as having written in support of anti fascism / racism. Given that, I'm happy to say that if you trust a (South) East Asian businessman you're a mug.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My friend is a Cardiff die hard, his attitude is that he'd rather be in L1 playing in front of 5000 than wear the red shirt.....he is willing to forgo the Stadium, the Craig Bellemys, the new training ground and upturn in fan base all for a shirt (that'll be changed back to blue as soon as Tan tires of them)....he's now stopped going to home games so he doesn't put money into the club.

I think he's an idiot.

I think he's a good fan. And that all of this is likely to end in trouble for Cardiff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here