Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looks like the Reds are feeling rather blue!!!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We made more of a protest on their behalf than they managed. Supine. Club after club seem to lack the foresight or backbone to make real and effective protest when things take a dodgy turn. I hope our history means that we are more vigilant than others.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Hilarious - they are 5 points clear at the top of the league with top flight football beckoning for the first time in nearly a century

They'll bottle it, they always do.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But things do change. When did the Albion become the Seagulls - they certainly weren't in the late 60's, when I first went to the Goldstone. I don't think they wore stripes the, either. Isn't it more about everything happening at once and because of the new owners coming in.... which is probably what you are saying anyway!
Yes it was! The change of shirt color in itself is a relatively minor thing. As has been pointed out we originally played in green, and two others I know of: Don Revie changed Leeds' colors from gold and blue (I think it was) to all-white to copy Real Madrid, and also Newcastle Utd for a while played in RED and white stripes! And of course the 'seagulls' nickname change came from the fans. Change in itself isn't bad, but in this instance an entire club's culture has been junked to try and make the club more attractive to foreign fans. However as someone else pointed out: that's football in 2013 for you. Doesn't mean us old-timers have to like it though!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I thought our original colour was green?

No, that was Brighton United. The first BHA kit was an all light blue number, followed a couple of years later with an all dark blue number.

1904 The blue and white stripes came in.
1948 We went to blue shirts with white sleeves.
1951 Back to stripes.
1964 - 1970 blue shirts with white sleeves.
1970-71 all white
1971 back to the stripes
1974-75 all white
1975 back to the stripes
1980 - 1986 all Blue
1987 back to the stripes
1993 dodgy pinstripes
1997 dodgy uneven width stripes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We made more of a protest on their behalf than they managed. Supine. Club after club seem to lack the foresight or backbone to make real and effective protest when things take a dodgy turn. I hope our history means that we are more vigilant than others.
I hope our history means people would be too scared to try.

Tony's not going to walk away without reassurances, but the people after that could be a whole other story.

Fingers crossed that's in generations time, and not EPL 'quick buck chancers', which seems to be where ALL of the problems lay.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, that was Brighton United. The first BHA kit was an all light blue number, followed a couple of years later with an all dark blue number.
As you are very much the old shirt guru I shall probably have to end up bowing to your experience, but according to my "Brighton and Hove Albion kits through the ages" print (which I've got on the wall) from 1901 to 1903 we played in what looks like a light green almost jockey colors. Could be a bad copy I suppose!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

1951 Back to stripes.
1970-71 all white
1971 back to the stripes
1974-75 all white
1975 back to the stripes
1980 - 1986 all Blue
1987 back to the stripes
1993 dodgy pinstripes

I bow to your superior knowledge.
Brighton Hove Albion - Historical Football Kits

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

1951 Back to stripes.
1970-71 all white
1971 back to the stripes
1974-75 all white
1975 back to the stripes
1980 - 1986 all Blue
1987 back to the stripes
1993 dodgy pinstripes

How do you know what colours they were?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But things do change. When did the Albion become the Seagulls? - they certainly weren't in the late 60's, when I first went to the Goldstone. I don't think they wore stripes thne, either. Isn't it more about everything happening at once and because of the new owners coming in.... which is probably what you are saying anyway!

Of course things change, but you're comparing apples with oranges here.

The change to the Seagulls was very much an indigenous thing, with no outside influences. This change from blue to red, along with the Malaysian influence being brought to bear on Cardiff City and its supporters is one massive marketing wheeze.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Poor choice of words. I only noticed because of where I was standing, directly opposite one.

With regards to these Cardiff comments.

Have they been there all season?
Are they just a response to a lose, in a less than convincing run?
Are they because of the freebees and how they were recieved?

As I understand it...

Before the season the new owners said they would change to red. There was an uproar, they back-tracked and said no way would they change the club's identity and they would stay the bluebirds. At the same time they stoked fears about debt and they would have to explore other ideas. They then seemed to get one of the supporters clubs onside and a week later announced they would actually be in red after all, and the badge was changed to feature a large dragon and small bluebird. There appears to have been a divide and conquer plan, under the slogan 'red or dead' (Hammam is still owed 25million, there was a winding-up order before the cup final, so they were certainly in financial difficulty), one message board ended up in favour and one against. About 500-1000 fans, no one knows the real number, cancelled their season tickets and have been boycotting ever since. Attempts at protests didn't get much support. Many fans still wore blue to the games as a silent protest.

Last night was to be a 'True Blue night by the pro-blue fans,. The owners countered this by handing out free red scarves. They are handing out a free STH for next season to one fan per home game who is pictured wearing the red scarf. As was obvious most people wore the scarves. Nearly all the people who were part of the 4-5k loyal fans during Cardiff's recent period in Leagues 1 and 2 are pretty horrified by it all. It seems that this has stoked everything up all over again and many people who previously tolerated the change - reluctant reds they're being called - are having second thoughts. This is possibly a trial balloon for a larger rebrand.

The Bluebirds are no longer mentioned over the tannoy like they used to, some prominent 'Blue' protesters have been physically threatened, the flags last night just said Cardiff, not Cardiff City and the trademark on the name Cardiff City has been allowed to lapse, suggesting that they will soon be the Cardiff Dragons or worse.

Meanwhile the owner hasn't given money to the club or paid off debt, instead he has lent £85 million on which he can claim (and is being paid) 7% interest. He is also part of the extremely corrupt Malaysian ruling party. Hammam's debt still hasn't been paid off. Clearly the Pompey threat is hanging over the club if they don't go up, and probably still if they do.

There's not much there that doesn't suck, apart from being top of the championship. Would you sell our soul for a shot at the promised land?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I understand it...

Before the season the new owners said they would change to red. There was an uproar, they back-tracked and said no way would they change the club's identity and they would stay the bluebirds. At the same time they stoked fears about debt and they would have to explore other ideas. They then seemed to get one of the supporters clubs onside and a week later announced they would actually be in red after all, and the badge was changed to feature a large dragon and small bluebird. There appears to have been a divide and conquer plan, under the slogan 'red or dead' (Hammam is still owed 25million, there was a winding-up order before the cup final, so they were certainly in financial difficulty), one message board ended up in favour and one against. About 500-1000 fans, no one knows the real number, cancelled their season tickets and have been boycotting ever since. Attempts at protests didn't get much support. Many fans still wore blue to the games as a silent protest.

Yes I do remember that.
I just couldn't work out if it had carried on, or they 'sold their souls for top of the table.

Last night was to be a 'True Blue night by the pro-blue fans,. The owners countered this by handing out free red scarves. They are handing out a free STH for next season to one fan per home game who is pictured wearing the red scarf. As was obvious most people wore the scarves. Nearly all the people who were part of the 4-5k loyal fans during Cardiff's recent period in Leagues 1 and 2 are pretty horrified by it all. It seems that this has stoked everything up all over again and many people who previously tolerated the change - reluctant reds they're being called - are having second thoughts. This is possibly a trial balloon for a larger rebrand.
As I thought, so many people were happily wearing red I guess the blue 'half' would have been seriously pee'ed off.

The Bluebirds are no longer mentioned over the tannoy like they used to, some prominent 'Blue' protesters have been physically threatened, the flags last night just said Cardiff, not Cardiff City and the trademark on the name Cardiff City has been allowed to lapse, suggesting that they will soon be the Cardiff Dragons or worse.

Meanwhile the owner hasn't given money to the club or paid off debt, instead he has lent £85 million on which he can claim (and is being paid) 7% interest. He is also part of the extremely corrupt Malaysian ruling party. Hammam's debt still hasn't been paid off. Clearly the Pompey threat is hanging over the club if they don't go up, and probably still if they do.

There's not much there that doesn't suck, apart from being top of the championship. Would you sell our soul for a shot at the promised land?
Doesn't look good for ALL I guess the reds aren't seeing it that way.

Thanks for the reply.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Clearly you are the type of guy who is happy to prostitute his club for money. I actually feel for the guys, as they have lost ALL of their identity. I did not go to the match, but watching it online, I was shocked how soalless their new ground was compared to Ninnian Park and the atmosphere they created there.

Why on earth should we feel sorry for Cardiff and then on the same token, castigate Portmouth and their fans?

Cardiff fans were over the moon when the Malaysians took over and promised then the Premier League. They moved into a new stadium and got rid of the hell hole that was Ninian Park.

You are right about one thing, they DID create an atmosphere...Mostly due to the fact that half of their racist, homophobic fans who spent most weeks at Ninian Park trying to start a fight with away fans.

I do wonder whether you've EVER been to Cardiff in those old days? It was a complete dump and the likes of which that followed them at that point were a poor example of a single celled amoeba.

So before you judge me, as a fellow Brighton fan (Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean & Falmer) for over 30 years, check YOUR facts before you post them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
As you are very much the old shirt guru I shall probably have to end up bowing to your experience, but according to my "Brighton and Hove Albion kits through the ages" print (which I've got on the wall) from 1901 to 1903 we played in what looks like a light green almost jockey colors. Could be a bad copy I suppose!

Might be a bit of that, oh, and that I am colour blind, pale greeny-blue it is then! :hilton:

That site is one of my points of reference when someone adds a photo to my site where the season is not added. I also use CLASSIC KITS and True Colours Football Kits . It should also be noted, that those sites also use mine for reference on occasion too :wink:

How do you know what colours they were?

See point 1, perhaps I didn't :jester:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
They are only top if the league as they changed to red, everyone knows red is a lucky colour

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Looks like [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] might have inadvertantly annoyed some of them!

Cardiff City Forum - Brighton Fan View

Nice to know that they have no knowledge of how Archer was ousted.

Oh well...Up the Swans!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] might have inadvertantly annoyed some of them!

Cardiff City Forum - Brighton Fan View

Nice to know that they have no knowledge of how Archer was ousted.

Oh well...Up the Swans!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here