Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo definitely...............

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
It does indeed, but I have no idea what tech is :lolol:

It may well be right. Adam probably doesn't have any offers open to him at the moment which would mean he's coming to us. However, I would imagine he's hanging on to see if any other offers come in within the next week or so, if he doesnt get any considerably better than what we're offering him, I would imagine he'll sign for us :)

Have Celtic definitely released him then? If not, I think he's got another year with them on decent wages. I don't think he would be under any pressure to sign for us just yet. Especially if we're nowhere near matching his Celtic pay packet.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
[]

This could be an answer, but I can't really see either Whing or Lynch in that sort of attacking full-back role - neither of them can cross for starters. And his other signing, Macleod, is an out and out winger as far as I know.

I though McCleod could also play as a wing back , I'm sure that was mentioned. I might be wrong on that. Lynch may be ok as well as he is rapid ...bit risky though.

Maybe Adams does have this formation in his head as an alternative. I remember he used to mix it up a bit in games before.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I though McCleod could also play as a wing back , I'm sure that was mentioned. I might be wrong on that. Lynch may be ok as well as he is rapid ...bit risky though.

Maybe Adams does have this formation in his head as an alternative. I remember he used to mix it up a bit in games before.

True. I remember at one point he had Cullip, Crosby and Carr as a 'no-nonsense' central defensive trio, with Jamie Campbell and Paul Watson as wing backs. A combination of Elphick, Virgo and Hawkins would be in the same sort of mould. A decent threat at corners too!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you presume Elphick and Lynch to be first choice still, we have brought in Hawkins to take Butters' place as first reserve. That, in itself, is almost certainly enough cover, but even beyond that we have El Abd who can do a reasonable job at centre-half (which is his best position). To then even entertain the idea that spending money on a FIFTH centre-back (all of whom have no major injury problem) is ludicrous in my opinion. I'd say of the four we've already got, two are definitely good players in this league, and the others will, as a bare minimum, do a job.

Look at our midfield. I don't see a single talented player ready to step into the middle of our midfield come August 9th. We have Thomson (the best of a dire bunch), Fraser, and El Abd (god help us). If either of the latter two make more than a dozen starts this season we'll struggle - end of. We're so obviously short in this position, that I just feel ALL our resources should be put towards solving it, even if we have to look for cheaper players in other positions as a result. So, unless the albion have got a far bigger wage budget than I imagine, one which is able to incorporate Virgo AND two more midfielders, as great a player as he is he's a waste of money at the moment.

*All of the above is, of course, dependant on there being no outgoings.

I don't disagree, but just because we haven't signed a midfielder doesn't mean we shouldn't have cover at centre-back.

One person covering centre-back (Hawkins) is not enough, especially as El-Abd may well have to start in midfield - for me his best position, although I see you disagree. Fair enough.

Cover at centre-back is a priority - it's just that a decent ball-playing centre midfield player is even more urgent. As long as we start the season with these new acquisitions in place, it doesn't matter what order we acquire them in.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Have Celtic definitely released him then? If not, I think he's got another year with them on decent wages. I don't think he would be under any pressure to sign for us just yet. Especially if we're nowhere near matching his Celtic pay packet.

Septic have paid up 70% of the outstanding year on his contract and he is now a free agent.

Btw Virgs said to another poster something along the lines of 'wait until next Friday' - this is coz they are trying to keep it under wraps and he will be formally revealed in the press next Friday!!

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
What I love about that clip is when everyone runs on the pitch one of the stewards is jumping up and down going mental, whilst another runs on the pitch trying to stop people. :D

That video is amazing I was one of the first people on the pitch with a certain Munkfish and I can see myself jumping up and down going mad! I will never for get that moment and that is why Virgo is LEGEND

What I love about that clip is when everyone runs on the pitch one of the stewards is jumping up and down going mental, whilst another runs on the pitch trying to stop people. :D

Erm... hate to throw a spanner in that works, but how do you know that the person jumping up and down in delight is a steward? I have seen one regular South Stand fan wearing a hi-viz jacket (without 'steward' emblazoned on it, of course). Maybe a construction or council worker coming straight from work to the match?
There are others who wear dayglo tops, and that clip was from the days of the shell suit trend wasn't it?

I only ever see stewards applauding at somewhat appropriate times, our lot normally keep decorum - regardless of the fact that several are Albion fans too (and proud to be working for the club).

Whereabouts is this steward going mental? I can't see it!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Attachments

• Steward.JPG
    Steward.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 191

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here