Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo definitely...............

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Captain ! FFS:rant:
I didn't have him down as Captain material last time he was here and can't see what's changed in him in the last 2/3 seasons.
Forster,Thomson,El-Abd & Elphick imo are far better candidates

I,d have him as captain without a doubt. A decent captain who leads by example, in the right position is what Albion have lacked since Culips days.

Forster............elder statesman.......does his best, but never like seeing a forward as captain.

Thomson............you are joking surely. Will have enough problems keeping himself in the side as it is, without added rersponsibility.

El-Abd...........great determination, but inconsistent and not high in ability.

Elphick.........definite future captain, but maybe still a little young, .........and how much longer will he be here...?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
IF true...may be good news...I wait for official notification.

However, should we not be acquisitioning players from the likes of Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc

After all, we are BRIGHTON!

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
he would be a good option on the bench due to his versatility. He's best at CB but we seem well covered there and surely we wouldnt sign him as a back up striker would we ?
The signing isn't one that would create alot of excitement but realistically teams up the top have have quality which can't get in the team so I reckon Adams would do this for the good of the squad

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
he would be a good option on the bench due to his versatility. He's best at CB but we seem well covered there and surely we wouldnt sign him as a back up striker would we ?
The signing isn't one that would create alot of excitement but realistically teams up the top have have quality which can't get in the team so I reckon Adams would do this for the good of the squad

Would he be happy to come to us for a place on the bench though? I don't think he would. Both his "natural positions" are comfortably filled - right-back & centre-back. As a centre-forward, he's not going to displace Murray or Forster. I'm not even sure he's played up front since he left us. And we've got cover for the "utility" defence & midfield position on the bench in Adam El-Abd.

If we hadn't signed Hawkins, or re-signed El-Abd, or if Elphick or Lynch had moved on, then I would relish the chance of him coming back. But as it stands, I'm scratching my head to work out where he's going to fit in. The obvious move would be to drop Lynch, which would be harsh, or move him to left back, which hasn't been his strongest position.

Southover Street Seagull's point is a good one, but you've got to balance that with the realities of lower league football finance. He's going to be on a fair whack, could that be spent better elsewhere in the squad? I think it could.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
as much he was a hero in the promotion and championship seasons we now have better players in his positions, really don't think it would be good for either party. For him a admission that he is only a top level league 1 or lower championship player and for a us another step looking back and a bit of waste of wages when they could be better spent elsewhere.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Don't get me wrong, he was a lovely guy, very passionate about the Albion and a 100% effort man.

If it's not costing us a bundle then fair do's, he might be useful to have around.

All I'm saying is, where does he fit in the current first team? He's only an emergency striker, lets be honest, and is certainly not going to displace Forster and Murray, while the central defence is sorted, as long as Lynch stays fit.

Virgo used to make me nervous as a full back, which only leaves a midfield role. His "whole-hearted" tackles might shake up a few opponents I suppose
:lolol:

That's working on the distorted presumption that what we have is good enough, or that he can't bring anything to the squad or team, or that he hasn't learned anything in his time at Celtic or Coventry.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Can't see the point in having five central defenders to be honest.

Mickey HAS to sort the middle of midfield out, or we'll do NOTHING this season. Use the wages on that instead.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Thankfully, Micky can - especially when one is a long-term crock.

What a load of bollocks.

Lynch has had a few niggly injuries, and the new bloke has had one injury. Hardly long-term crocks.

How would you be able to accomodate Elphick, Lynch, Hawkins, El-Abd AND Virgo?

You wouldn't, unless Lynch was played at left back (a DISASTER waiting to happen) while one of them played in the reserves (not something that any of the players are likely to stand for!) and the other sat on the bench week in week out.

Ridiculous, overstrength in depth, when you consider that we have NO reserve centre forwards that are any good, and that are central midfield is absolutely DIRE.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Adam Virgo would be a quality signing. People forget just how good he was at Championship level, in every position he played. Celtic didn't buy him for £1.5m because they though he was talentless did they? We are in League one for christs sake and he was one of our most influential players in our survival season in the Championship.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What a load of bollocks.

Lynch has had a few niggly injuries, and the new bloke has had one injury. Hardly long-term crocks.

How would you be able to accomodate Elphick, Lynch, Hawkins, El-Abd AND Virgo?

You wouldn't, unless Lynch was played at left back (a DISASTER waiting to happen) while one of them played in the reserves (not something that any of the players are likely to stand for!) and the other sat on the bench week in week out.

Ridiculous, overstrength in depth, when you consider that we have NO reserve centre forwards that are any good, and that are central midfield is absolutely DIRE.

:thud:

Firstly, the long-term crock is Hinshelwood.

The answer is you DON'T play Elphick, Lynch, Hawkins, El-Abd and Virgo. El-Abd's best place is in midfield, and you play two from the other four.

Acquiring other positional players is another matter entirely. Just because we need other players in other positions does not mean we don't go for another centre-back. Assuming we acquire Virgo, we are probably replete for that position.

So bollocks to your load of bollocks.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Adam Virgo would be a quality signing. People forget just how good he was at Championship level, in every position he played. Celtic didn't buy him for £1.5m because they though he was talentless did they? We are in League one for christs sake and he was one of our most influential players in our survival season in the Championship.

Nobody forgets how good he was at Championship level...as a makeshift forward.

Is there ANY evidence to suggest Adams would play him up front? Nope.

He's a defender, always has been, always will be.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
:thud:

Firstly, the long-term crock is Hinshelwood.

The answer is you DON'T play Elphick, Lynch, Hawkins, El-Abd and Virgo. El-Abd's best place is in midfield, and you play two from the other four.

Acquiring other positional players is another matter entirely. Just because we need other players in other positions does not mean we don't go for another centre-back. Assuming we acquire Virgo, we are probably replete for that position.

So bollocks to your load of bollocks.

Ah yes, Hinshelwood. Make that SIX centre backs.

For a club with LIMITED resources, does using a large proportion of the wage budget on a position where we've got excessive cover make financial/footballing sense, when the REAL position that NEEDS strengthening is Midfield?

And if El-abd's best in midfield, then i'm an optimistic chinaman, you're an interesting contributor to this message board, and Tommy Fraser is as good as Kaka.

:shootself:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here