Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo definitely...............

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ah yes, Hinshelwood. Make that SIX centre backs.

For a club with LIMITED resources, does using a large proportion of the wage budget on a position where we've got excessive cover make financial/footballing sense, when the REAL position that NEEDS strengthening is Midfield?

And if El-abd's best in midfield, then i'm an optimistic chinaman, you're an interesting contributor to this message board, and Tommy Fraser is as good as Kaka.

:shootself:

We have three recognised fit centre-backs at the club at present - one of whom appears to have continual niggles, another makeshift/part-time centre-back, and a long-term crocked one. That does NOT provide for good cover.

In the case of El-Abd and Virgo, both can play in a variety of positions. It makes sense to consider having those options in the squad.

Luckily, Micky Adams isn't so blinkered or narrow-minded as to think players have one position and that's it - especially when we have such limited resources. He might even consider that kind of flexibility a good idea.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can't see the point in having five central defenders to be honest.

Mickey HAS to sort the middle of midfield out, or we'll do NOTHING this season. Use the wages on that instead.

blimey , yeah i actually agree with you on this one

UNLESS we are bringing Virgs back in more of a striker form then this really isn't our major priority

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Its great news if true and OK he might not be any better than whats already at the Albion ................its what he stands for that matters Nobby Horton was not the best player we had but without him the team was never right.

Adam Virgo stands for what is good about the Albion he is local,he will give 100%,and the fans like him for that.

Would he be happy to come to us for a place on the bench though? I don't think he would. Both his "natural positions" are comfortably filled - right-back & centre-back. As a centre-forward, he's not going to displace Murray or Forster. I'm not even sure he's played up front since he left us. And we've got cover for the "utility" defence & midfield position on the bench in Adam El-Abd.

If we hadn't signed Hawkins, or re-signed El-Abd, or if Elphick or Lynch had moved on, then I would relish the chance of him coming back. But as it stands, I'm scratching my head to work out where he's going to fit in. The obvious move would be to drop Lynch, which would be harsh, or move him to left back, which hasn't been his strongest position.

Southover Street Seagull's point is a good one, but you've got to balance that with the realities of lower league football finance. He's going to be on a fair whack, could that be spent better elsewhere in the squad? I think it could.

Good point about the finances, but we have never over stretched ourselves in the past financially. So if this is true I expect we can afford it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
AV is on holiday in Puerto Banus on his best mates 40th sitting outside Sinatras as we speak and has just told a very good friend of mine!

No actual names for obvious reasons but I assure you its true.

i reckon someone, probably Vrgo, is winding you up. ;)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If you presume Elphick and Lynch to be first choice still, we have brought in Hawkins to take Butters' place as first reserve. That, in itself, is almost certainly enough cover, but even beyond that we have El Abd who can do a reasonable job at centre-half (which is his best position). To then even entertain the idea that spending money on a FIFTH centre-back (all of whom have no major injury problem) is ludicrous in my opinion. I'd say of the four we've already got, two are definitely good players in this league, and the others will, as a bare minimum, do a job.

Look at our midfield. I don't see a single talented player ready to step into the middle of our midfield come August 9th. We have Thomson (the best of a dire bunch), Fraser, and El Abd (god help us). If either of the latter two make more than a dozen starts this season we'll struggle - end of. We're so obviously short in this position, that I just feel ALL our resources should be put towards solving it, even if we have to look for cheaper players in other positions as a result. So, unless the albion have got a far bigger wage budget than I imagine, one which is able to incorporate Virgo AND two more midfielders, as great a player as he is he's a waste of money at the moment.

*All of the above is, of course, dependant on there being no outgoings.

Just about sums it up except I think El Abd gets a ridiculously tough time on here. He was awesome at centre half from Leeds at home until he got shoved into midfield. He must have been in our top three or four performers during that period. Who's next to come back - Paul Watson? Aidan Newhouse? Chippy?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If you presume Elphick and Lynch to be first choice still, we have brought in Hawkins to take Butters' place as first reserve. That, in itself, is almost certainly enough cover, but even beyond that we have El Abd who can do a reasonable job at centre-half (which is his best position). To then even entertain the idea that spending money on a FIFTH centre-back (all of whom have no major injury problem) is ludicrous in my opinion. I'd say of the four we've already got, two are definitely good players in this league, and the others will, as a bare minimum, do a job.

Look at our midfield. I don't see a single talented player ready to step into the middle of our midfield come August 9th. We have Thomson (the best of a dire bunch), Fraser, and El Abd (god help us). If either of the latter two make more than a dozen starts this season we'll struggle - end of. We're so obviously short in this position, that I just feel ALL our resources should be put towards solving it, even if we have to look for cheaper players in other positions as a result. So, unless the albion have got a far bigger wage budget than I imagine, one which is able to incorporate Virgo AND two more midfielders, as great a player as he is he's a waste of money at the moment.

*All of the above is, of course, dependant on there being no outgoings.

A rare moment. I agree entirely with Badger.

Jimmy Grimble

AV is on holiday in Puerto Banus on his best mates 40th sitting outside Sinatras as we speak and has just told a very good friend of mine!

No actual names for obvious reasons but I assure you its true.

That is true, as my dad is with him. But I just spoke to Adam on the phone and when I asked him if we was coming back, he replied: "I dont know yet, if I get a better offer elsewhere then its unlikely - you'll know by next friday"

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's only natual that he'll keep his options open for an offer at a higher league but he 's also a local lad who has given his all for Albion and would no doubt love to be here when we finally get to Falmer.

If available, he'd be a great signing. Some say he's not as good as the players we have but do you reckon any of those will go for £1.5m?

Also, with the transfer window, we have to be prepared incase any star players are sold on deadline day, leaving us with money but short on players.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
That is true, as my dad is with him. But I just spoke to Adam on the phone and when I asked him if we was coming back, he replied: "I dont know yet, if I get a better offer elsewhere then its unlikely - you'll know by next friday"

If your old mans name starts with 'S' i went to Tech with him! :dunce:

i've just double-cdhecked with my source and he confirmed what i've said earlier!!

Maybe a wind-up - but i am 99.9% sure i'm right!

Jimmy Grimble

If your old mans name starts with 'S' i went to Tech with him! :dunce:

i've just double-cdhecked with my source and he confirmed what i've said earlier!!

Maybe a wind-up - but i am 99.9% sure i'm right!

It does indeed, but I have no idea what tech is :lolol:

It may well be right. Adam probably doesn't have any offers open to him at the moment which would mean he's coming to us. However, I would imagine he's hanging on to see if any other offers come in within the next week or so, if he doesnt get any considerably better than what we're offering him, I would imagine he'll sign for us :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here