Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo definitely...............

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Exactly, good player, but well overhyped. I dont even see where he fits into the squad.
4th choice centre back or 3rd/4th choice striker maybe?

Overated at £1.5m yes, but surely still good enough to play for us?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Virgo did alright a division higher, after all,
He barely played there for us, in the Championship or in Division Two. You may well be right that Lynch and Elphick won't be first choice, if they were why would Adams need two more centrebacks (as well as El-Abd and Pearson)? But, imo, they SHOULD be.

I don't see what the comparison is between Watson and Whing, other than they are both full backs, they are hardly similar players. Whing at leftback sounds like a disaster.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm going to be CONTROVERSIAL here, and against the NSC CONCENSUS, question whether Lynch is actually a better centre half than Virgo.

QUOTE]

I said the same to one of my sons yesterday when he suggested we didnt need Virgo and my opinion is that POTENTIALLY Lynch is the better but he is young and still makes at least one terrible mistake per game that readers on here do not pick up on in the same manner as they would if the mistake was made by El Abd.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I'm going to be CONTROVERSIAL here, and against the NSC CONCENSUS, question whether Lynch is actually a better centre half than Virgo.

QUOTE]

I said the same to one of my sons yesterday when he suggested we didnt need Virgo and my opinion is that POTENTIALLY Lynch is the better but he is young and still makes at least one terrible mistake per game that readers on here do not pick up on in the same manner as they would if the mistake was made by El Abd.

people dont make a bigger deal of Lynchs mistakes than El Abd, because Lynch has the talent and class to back up those mistakes, and can often save us a match with quality defending.

El Abd again is a great utility back up player to have, where as Lynch has the ability to be 1st choice centre back. El Abd is not 1st choice or the best player in any position, but is good to have him in the 1st team set up. I feel this the same with Virgo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, that Whing at LB is a BAD idea. Pointless moving him from his established, effective position, except in emergencies.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So we've a LOAD of centre backs. Virgo can play RIGHT BACK and UP FRONT.

Are we all agreed then that AV is GARY HART's replacement?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agreed, that Whing at LB is a BAD idea. Pointless moving him from his established, effective position, except in emergencies.

I cannot see that it is such a bad idea as he played a number of games for Coventry at left back and also I wouldnt say that he is better than Virgo at right back. His distibution is appalling, the ball usually goes out of play on one side of the pitch or the other. I wonder whether MA has reservations about him as he has replaced him once already!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I cannot see that it is such a bad idea as he played a number of games for Coventry at left back and also I wouldnt say that he is better than Virgo at right back. His distibution is appalling, the ball usually goes out of play on one side of the pitch or the other. I wonder whether MA has reservations about him as he has replaced him once already!!

Terrible idea.

He has made the right back spot his own, so why move him?

Maybe I am going out on a limb here, but how about signing a left back? Ipswich has 2 fairly competent ones available for transfer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Hang on. So you have a RIGHT FOOTED player, whose distribution is 'appalling', and you are going to solve that, by moving him to a position where he will have to constantly use his LEFT foot?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hang on. So you have a RIGHT FOOTED player, whose distribution is 'appalling', and you are going to solve that, by moving him to a position where he will have to constantly use his LEFT foot?

Not so, by him playing at Left Back he would be coming inside of the opposition to kick with his right foot and would then make the ball at least stay on the field as opposed to keep going out of play as he would have more to aim at. Most of his clearances would go towards the centre circle and if they did 'curl' would still stay on the park. Plus he is better than we have , which is nothing or in that position El Abd.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So we've a LOAD of centre backs. Virgo can play RIGHT BACK and UP FRONT.

Are we all agreed then that AV is GARY HART's replacement?
Do you think he'd come back for that? I suppose if he had nothing else at all on the table, but still you'd have to guess he would be on decent money? I think if he does come back he will play most games next season, BensGrandad maybe right about him replacing Whing (as I think he did at Coventry, leading to us getting Whing in the first place), just not with Whing moving to leftback.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not so, by him playing at Left Back he would be coming inside of the opposition to kick with his right foot and would then make the ball at least stay on the field as opposed to keep going out of play as he would have more to aim at. Most of his clearances would go towards the centre circle and if they did 'curl' would still stay on the park. Plus he is better than we have , which is nothing or in that position El Abd.

You have never played full back, have you. The thought of having a full back who had to constantly cut inside the winger, just to be able to clear the ball, is a truly terrible plan.

He may be better than what we have, which is exactly why we should sign an actual [left footed] left back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You have never played full back, have you. The thought of having a full back who had to constantly cut inside the winger, just to be able to clear the ball, is a truly terrible plan.

QUOTE]

Try telling MA and Paul Watson that. Or going back to the 50s Roger Byrne of Man Utd who was Englands left back prior to the Munich disaster and couldnt even stand on his left foot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

QUOTE]

Try telling MA and Paul Watson that. Or going back to the 50s Roger Byrne of Man Utd who was Englands left back prior to the Munich disaster and couldnt even stand on his left foot.

Paul Watson could actually kick with his right though, and whilst I'm alittle young to comment on Byrne, I imagine you are exagerating a little.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
About as much as Whing can with his left and about as accurate. I think that we will have to agree to differ and await the final outcome to see who is right or not.

We'll agree to differ, but I AM right.

Even if MA does, indeed move Whing to left back, I'll still be right.

You and Micky will both be wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here