Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Has anyone heard the new Mogwai album yet?
Going to buy it this weekend and wondered what people thought of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They supported Sigur Ros last year and sounded pretty good. I couldn't get into to it as at the headliners insistence they played behind a semi translucent cloth meaning that you couldn't really see them.

Further insult to injury was added when the headliners used the cloth for some poncy light effects and then discarded it after 3 songs. Thanks a bunch lads.

I was there - Brighton Centre?

Sigur Ros have used that cloth drape thing for years. I think it works quite well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was there - Brighton Centre?

Sigur Ros have used that cloth drape thing for years. I think it works quite well.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it looked pretty good but at the expense of actually being able to see the support for only 3 songs seemed a bit off. IDK....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't get me wrong, I thought it looked pretty good but at the expense of actually being able to see the support for only 3 songs seemed a bit off. IDK....

Yeah - perhaps the support band enjoyed the mystique though? The singer is very attractive in a Scandinavian way.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah - perhaps the support band enjoyed the mystique though? The singer is very attractive in a Scandinavian way.

I seriously doubt it, otherwise they'd do it when they are headlining. Look, at the end of the day the headliners can do what they want, it's their gig and the support would be grateful for the kind of exposure that going out on tour gives them, regardless of any entirely unneccessary impediments.

I have a bit of an issue with Sigur Ros truth be told, at Bestival a couple of years back, they had a hissy fit because Stevie Wonder (who's he eh?) ruined their light show by bumping their set earlier by 45 minutes or so. I love the music, I just think there's some real nobbishness surrounding them. This thought was further enhanced by having their support playing behind what was in effect a screen.

I probably need to get out more....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I seriously doubt it, otherwise they'd do it when they are headlining. Look, at the end of the day the headliners can do what they want, it's their gig and the support would be grateful for the kind of exposure that going out on tour gives them, regardless of any entirely unneccessary impediments.

I have a bit of an issue with Sigur Ros truth be told, at Bestival a couple of years back, they had a hissy fit because Stevie Wonder (who's he eh?) ruined their light show by bumping their set earlier by 45 minutes or so. I love the music, I just think there's some real nobbishness surrounding them. This thought was further enhanced by having their support playing behind what was in effect a screen.

I probably need to get out more....

I understand what you're saying, and to us over here it does seem MASSIVELY pretentious. I think they genuinely do believe it's all pure art though, so something like their light show being affected by a change of time probably would annoy them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I understand what you're saying, and to us over here it does seem MASSIVELY pretentious. I think they genuinely do believe it's all pure art though, so something like their light show being affected by a change of time probably would annoy them.

Not sure Sigur Ros are good enough to be considered as art, whatever they believe to be the case. I've got (too?) many of their albums. They're just a bit one-dimensional, and have some ethereal moments, but there are plenty of other bands doing that kind of thing that would warrant the consideration of art -- Bowie in the 70s as your pic seems to suggest, or Radiohead as I seem to think you indicated on another thread. I could mention others, but it might entail a digression into what should qualify as art. NSC might not be the best place to do this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure Sigur Ros are good enough to be considered as art, whatever they believe to be the case. I've got (too?) many of their albums. They're just a bit one-dimensional, and have some ethereal moments, but there are plenty of other bands doing that kind of thing that would warrant the consideration of art -- Bowie in the 70s as your pic seems to suggest, or Radiohead as I seem to think you indicated on another thread. I could mention others, but it might entail a digression into what should qualify as art. NSC might not be the best place to do this.

NSC isn't the best place to do ANYTHING.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Bought my one and only new 2014 music product so far last Friday, High Hopes by Springsteen. Bit of a mixed bag, some gems and a few duds with an interesting electric version of Ballad of Tom Joad in which he shares vocals with Tom Morello, it's not a patch on RATM's seminal cover but good nonetheless. I wonder how much of it he'll play when I see him on Friday given it's a mist mash compilation of sorts? The e-Street Band will be featuring Steve Van Zandt, Nils Lofgren and Tom Morello - axe man frenzy!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know there was a fair bit of love for the Julianna Barwick record last year, Tara Jane O'Neil's - Where Shine New Lights bears some similarities for me, even if it isn't quite as enveloping or abstract.

It's a lovely, lovely record regardless.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oh and if you like your jazz free and you aren't put off by a long song, this is the best thing I've heard in quite a while, I might be wrong but I think it's recorded live as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My favourite release of the year so far- album due next Month.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I caught them playing an 80% new set at The Haunt last June and it was amazing. I'll stick my neck out and say without hearing it that this album will be in my top 10 of the year.

I played this on the show the other week as well!

I saw them at Ill Be Your Mirror in 2011 and their sound was very different. Less electronics more noise but in a good way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here