Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Quite impressed by East India youth. Kept me listening this afternoon despite the fact that the oasis back catalogue has appeared on spotify so it must be good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Following on from the successful 2013 thread ( here - http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ust-have-albums-of-2013&highlight=albums+2013) we are about to start seeing the 2014 releases. Some that I'm particuarly looking forward to in the next couple of weeks are

Actress - Ghettoville
Mogwai - Rave Tapes
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Wig Out at Jagbags
East India Youth - Total Stife Forever ( A VERY early album of the year candidate if the singles are anything to go by.)

Heard a bit of that East India Youth in Resident the other day, and it sounded great. The guy behind the counter said that it was varied stylistically, with moments when there's Panda Bear-esque vocals. That put me off a bit, but he insisted it wasn't meant to. Will hopefully check them out at GDS and will probably buy the album, but spent £90 in there today, which is all because of you. Listening to Master by Teeth of the Sea at the moment, which sounds great on a first listen.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Led Zeppelin remasters, Deluxe edition of the River, The Beatles American albums, Nils Lofgren early albums.....

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
On another post, you're speaking about music alongside film. That Mogwai Les Revanants is an amazing soundtrack, and listening to it is extremely evocative of what was one of the best TV series of last year.

Loved it. Looking forward to getting stuck into the new Mogwai as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
New Mew and Interpol this year are my most anticipated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Others of interest on their way

Bombay Bicycle Club
Royal Blood
The Glitch Mob

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
New Mew and Interpol this year are my most anticipated.

I gave up on Mew when they released The Glass-Handed Kites, but I'm wondering if I was maybe a little hasty. Interpol owe us a decent album. Can they come back, or are they devalued currency, like The Strokes? I've got the last Strokes album, but never played it. It's funny how things change - releasing consistently decent albums is one huge task, staying the right side of being fashionable/unfashionable is another. And we think that footballers have short careers...

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Cant wait to hear more from Royal Blood, What I have heard so far (three songs I tihnk) is excellent, really looking forward to hearing more

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Glass-Handed Kites was a mixed bag, but had a triumvirate of BRILLIANT songs in the middle (Apocalypso - Special - The Zookeeper's Boy). Apocalypso is still one of my favourite indie rock songs of past 10-15 years. INSANELY inventive guitar work.

[yt]1DssjaqFZB0[/yt]

I'm a MASSIVE fan of Interpol, so probably don't have a good perspective on them, if that makes sense. I enjoyed the most recent Strokes album quite a lot, but it is a bit over-familiar at times.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cant wait to hear more from Royal Blood, What I have heard so far (three songs I tihnk) is excellent, really looking forward to hearing more

Come up to WSU and ask the drummer to play you some off his mobile phone.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm a MASSIVE fan of Interpol, so probably don't have a good perspective on them, if that makes sense. I enjoyed the most recent Strokes album quite a lot, but it is a bit over-familiar at times.

As much as I like Interpol, I think our chances of having another TOTBL masterpiece left with Carlos Dengler. I'd so love to be wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As much as I like Interpol, I think our chances of having another TOTBL masterpiece left with Carlos Dengler. I'd so love to be wrong.

Possibly. Thing is it was the touring he hated, and he played (incredibly well as per) on the most recent album. I like to think they might convince him into the studio to record the newest album then have someone other poor ******* try to tour his basslines. They're a 3 piece officially now.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Amazing how many BSP fans say that of Open Season. It must be the very definition of slow grower in album terms.

There are some good tracks on Open Season but it won't ever overtake The Decline. I think all five studio albums have their strengths but its as a live band that BSP are at their best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here