Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Was wondering if anybody else on here has an account on last.fm? Have it to keep track of any music I listen to on Spotify as I'm a sucker for statistics and charts.

Probably not useful unless most of your music listening is on electronic devices (only half of mine gets recorded) but if you're often listening via iTunes, Spotify etc then it's worth checking out.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheBleeder <- my profile for any of you who are on there, feel free to add me.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Thanks to some time off over Christmas, a new Sonos system, some well placed hints to Santa and the brilliant CD I received as part of the Secret Santa thread I have spent an enjoyable few days catching up on new music. Anyone who saw the listing for the CD I sent out will see I look backwards for good music as much or more as forwards. Nevertheless it's been an amazing few days when I haven't been taking my kids out or watching us draw with Reading.

The Real Estate album has been on reasonably regular rotation. Having initially loved Sun Kil Moon I've found the whole thing hard to get on with. One depressing song is fine by me but anything titled I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love has me reaching for the skip button. I also got the John Grant Live with the BBC Philharmonic album and BOY what a cracker that is. Best played with a nice red once the kids are asleep though I found myself cooking to it today. The War On Drugs still take Album of the Year for me though, I have to physically restrain myself from taking it out of the CD rack if I'm honest. No idea why as I hate all the music it is seemingly influenced by but it has a complexity not unlike a very good vintage wine. Hope there's going to be a 2015 thread so i can steal all your ideas again. Thanks fellas. :)

I made an effort with WOD but have given up as to these ears they are not the sum of their parts. I simply cannot get past the very obvious influences and would rather hear it first time around. Nice enough, good luck and all that but I don't quite get all the fuss. Its the kind of thing I imagine would be a Mojo reader's wet dream.... I may have had a tipple.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I made an effort with WOD but have given up as to these ears they are not the sum of their parts. I simply cannot get past the very obvious influences and would rather hear it first time around. Nice enough, good luck and all that but I don't quite get all the fuss. Its the kind of thing I imagine would be a Mojo reader's wet dream.... I may have had a tipple.

I also like that it's divisive! Merry Christmas to you, this is one thread that doesn't deserve a binfest :)

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I also like that it's divisive! Merry Christmas to you, this is one thread that doesn't deserve a binfest :)

Agreed & likewise. I'm going to stick it on now and give it another go (I like the Bob / Tom Petty bits........that's not a piss take, I really do).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I made an effort earlier in the year, and found it boring and derivative. Again, the influences were all I could hear.

I tried again recently, and despite myself, I have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. I got one of the last tickets for the Dome, and am really looking forward to it.

Weird. I never thought it would happen.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I made an effort earlier in the year, and found it boring and derivative. Again, the influences were all I could hear.

I tried again recently, and despite myself, I have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. I got one of the last tickets for the Dome, and am really looking forward to it.

Awwwww. Don't say that, I'll start second guessing myself and have to go along to decide in person...if I close my eyes maybe it will be Bob from 20 years ago (playing stuff he never played at the time)..hang on, that's beginning to sound like a decent (pre-death) tribute gig...tempting

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Awwwww. Don't say that, I'll start second guessing myself and have to go along to decide in person...if I close my eyes maybe it will be Bob from 20 years ago (playing stuff he never played at the time)..hang on, that's beginning to sound like a decent (pre-death) tribute gig...tempting

I'm going to the Dome gig - I decided that they'll fill that room with sound beautifully, it'll be the first time I've seen them since The Haunt on Slave Ambient, which was one of my favourite gigs of that year.

It's possible to simulataneously like an album and be a little bit repulsed by it, isn't it?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'm going to the Dome gig - I decided that they'll fill that room with sound beautifully, it'll be the first time I've seen them since The Haunt on Slave Ambient, which was one of my favourite gigs of that year.

It's possible to simulataneously like an album and be a little bit repulsed by it, isn't it?

Yes it is. In fact that's a decent thread in itself. I'm going to have a word with myself and may end up going but coinage does not normally allow such indulgences.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

And here's me thinking of flogging my Dome tickets because I'me feeling now what you were originally feeling and am not sure that seeing them live will be that 'exciting'

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Ha! I like that. It puts me in the clear too.

I really didn't expect to change my mind on this record...it kinda got under my skin. Long instrumental bits that I'd previously found annoying were suddenly just...right.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was not joining in here as it never occurred to me that I listened to many "new" records. When you think the last month alone has seen me buy Led Zep 1 and 2 plus a box set of Edgar Broughton I was not going to help.

However with an average of 10 albums a month some were bound to slip through. 22 in fact.

Thanks to this thread I decided to have another listen to Andy Stott and it is now going to replace Goat's Commune as my album of the year. Pink Floyd's Endless River had to be bought (as did the Slipknot contribution - the Gray Chapter, which grows and grows - finally getting to see them next month) but it is no great surprise with their magnificent career that it is rather dull. Eagulls is great but that name is really, really, troubling. Only other contender for me was Wayne Kramer's Lexington.

I normally like Aphex Twin but Syro ... where is that *shakes head* smiley?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was not joining in here as it never occurred to me that I listened to many "new" records. When you think the last month alone has seen me buy Led Zep 1 and 2 plus a box set of Edgar Broughton I was not going to help.

However with an average of 10 albums a month some were bound to slip through. 22 in fact.

Thanks to this thread I decided to have another listen to Andy Stott and it is now going to replace Goat's Commune as my album of the year. Pink Floyd's Endless River had to be bought (as did the Slipknot contribution - the Gray Chapter, which grows and grows - finally getting to see them next month) but it is no great surprise with their magnificent career that it is rather dull. Eagulls is great but that name is really, really, troubling. Only other contender for me was Wayne Kramer's Lexington.

I normally like Aphex Twin but Syro ... where is that *shakes head* smiley?
Damn. Just listened to Lexington again. Easily number 1.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There's a few metalheads here.... I'm sure you are aware, the Triptykon record is pretty special. It's Thomas Fischer - 'im out of Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and Appolyon Sun.

Sound like an update of this classic to my ears

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Been listening to the brilliantly tilted 'Content Nausea' by side project Parkay Quarts -a gift from The man with the White Beard. Recorded on a four track cassette it's a perfect antidote to the seasonal crap around at this time of year. Can't recommend if highly enough.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
FACT have compiled their albums of the decade so far (we are 6 weeks away from the half way point!) FACT lists tend to veer toward the lesser known stuff so there's normally some stuff you haven't heard to get stuck into.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/11/03/the-100-best-albums-of-the-decade-so-far/92/

Here's my top 10 (this was unbelievably tough - long list of about 60-70)

1. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
2. Emeralds - Does It Look Like Im Here
3. Actress - Spalzsh
4. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
5. Swans - To Be Kind
6. My Bloody Valentine -mbv
7. Women - Public Strain
8. Machinedrum - Room(s)
9. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
10. Peaking Lights - 936

Discuss.

:bounce: