Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
Augustines - Augustines. Pretty good although they do seem to have upped the 'big sound' for this (Ala The Hold Steady etc) In my opinion not quite up there with their first 'Rise Ye Sunken Ships' which was a brilliant album. Dark and low key. Definitely worth checking out though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bought the Sun Kil Moon and Marissa Naddler albums last weekend, bit of an overdose on forlorn acoustic music.

The Sun Kil Moon album is excellent but don't go into it expecting amazing melodies, its just a couple of cool riffs with depressing spoken word ramblings over the top. Still a good album though and the lyrics are interesting enough that you can forgive the tone.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nothing particuarly groundbreaking but I'm really enjoying the Eagulls album, it's a sort of shoegaze/post hardcore hybrid along the lines of Metz or The Men.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Nothing particuarly groundbreaking but I'm really enjoying the Eagulls album, it's a sort of shoegaze/post hardcore hybrid along the lines of Metz or The Men.

I quite enjoyed their short support set for Parquet Courts and will have to listen to the album.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bought the Sun Kil Moon and Marissa Naddler albums last weekend, bit of an overdose on forlorn acoustic music.

The Sun Kil Moon album is excellent but don't go into it expecting amazing melodies, its just a couple of cool riffs with depressing spoken word ramblings over the top. Still a good album though and the lyrics are interesting enough that you can forgive the tone.

loving the Sun Kil Moon LP

this however is an early contender for record of the year for me........... and I've only listened to the first 5 songs ............. 6th one is playing at Pevenseagull towers as I type .......... glorious http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773496/first-listen-beck-morning-phase?ft=1&f=1039

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Augustines - Augustines. Pretty good although they do seem to have upped the 'big sound' for this (Ala The Hold Steady etc) In my opinion not quite up there with their first 'Rise Ye Sunken Ships' which was a brilliant album. Dark and low key. Definitely worth checking out though.

Really liking this one at the moment, been listeniing solidly for the past few days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couple of things. I got talking to a guy last night and it turns out he is Daniel from Esben and The Witch. Really nice chap and turns out we have shared enthusiasm for music and craft beer and his lady lives in Berlin. Must admit I lost touch with his band but they appeared on SHC's radio show the other week and my chat has re-stoked my interest. As SHC mentioned they are crowd-funding a new album with Steve Albini. Good luck to them and here is the link to help them make it happen

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/esbenandthewitch

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Apologies if mentioned on a previous page but the Dum Dum Girls new CD is really jolly good...

i quite like this album, need to give it a few more plays. Same with the September Girls album - if you like one, you may well like the other. Cheatahs - I quite like in very small doses. Kevin Shields is speaking to lawyers. Eagulls - not bad, possibly a grower.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Couple of things. I got talking to a guy last night and it turns out he is Daniel from Esben and The Witch. Really nice chap and turns out we have shared enthusiasm for music and craft beer and his lady lives in Berlin. Must admit I lost touch with his band but they appeared on SHC's radio show the other week and my chat has re-stoked my interest. As SHC mentioned they are crowd-funding a new album with Steve Albini. Good luck to them and here is the link to help them make it happen

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/esbenandthewitch

He works at the Evening Star now n'all. EATW's new song is the best thing they've done, I reckon

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/news?p=77759

In addition, having never been impressed by them live previously they blew my face off at Sticky Mike's at the tail end of last year. They've found their feet as a band I reckon. I said nice things about them below.

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/listing/?p=66440

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm enjoying this at the moment, have read good reviews;

To me, it sounds like The Knife and My Bloody Valentine stuck in an ELECTRONIC taxi together (from the FUTURE).

that is quite possibly the best piece of new music I have heard in a decade or more THANK YOU

really pissed off Hot Chip having a fight with Curve

Last edited:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

Really enjoyed the new album, never heard of them before, will give 'Rise Ye Sunken Ships ' a listen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The new Neneh Cherry album with Four-tet and RocketNumber9 is damn fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here