Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Match made in heaven, she's a vastly underrated artist and though she may go down in the annals of history as a one hit wonder, What a hit it was!

She had a few hits: Buffalo Stance, Man Child and 7 Seconds. But yeah, match made in heaven. It's an astonishingly good album; sparse but catchy. Don't know anything about Rocket Number 9 but will be investigating.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
She had a few hits: Buffalo Stance, Man Child and 7 Seconds. But yeah, match made in heaven. It's an astonishingly good album; sparse but catchy. Don't know anything about Rocket Number 9 but will be investigating.

Fair point, I was of course referring to the masterful Buffalo Stance. Pop music's just about caught up with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair point, I was of course referring to the masterful Buffalo Stance. Pop music's just about caught up with it.

A random Tubthumper pop-fact: I once bought a bed from a shop where Neneh Cherry had bought a bed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bloody hell!

Is there a plaque there now, marking this marvellous coincidence?

Not quite. There was a list of celebrity bed buyers up on the wall though; I recall Elvis Costello was on it. It was that Guardianista Warren Evans place in Camden. They also have a branch in Brighton I believe. I think she lived in or near Camden in the mid-90s as I saw her around town.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not quite. There was a list of celebrity bed buyers up on the wall though; I recall Elvis Costello was on it. It was that Guardianista Warren Evans place in Camden. They also have a branch in Brighton I believe. I think she lived in or near Camden in the mid-90s as I saw her around town.

Celebrity bed buyers, love it.

Was Richard Fairbrass on the list? :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Celebrity bed buyers, love it.

Was Richard Fairbrass on the list? :wink:

Ha. I reckon he is, and was mistakenly added just after I departed the shop.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh and if you like your jazz free and you aren't put off by a long song, this is the best thing I've heard in quite a while, I might be wrong but I think it's recorded live as well.

I like this, although it appears to be in three phases, of which the first is noticeably better.
Would love to see them live.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Sure is. I hear the Hope gig is being upgraded for anyone that missed out on tickets.

Boooooooooooo. PET HATE. RIP memorable intimate gigs for bands that are on the up.

That said I'm tempted now to buy tickets after hearing this. A female Leonard Cohen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3xElewqWw
[yt]FB3xElewqWw[/yt]

I was umming and arrring in Resident to buy it the other day but settled for some presales.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Boooooooooooo. PET HATE. RIP memorable intimate gigs for bands that are on the up.

That said I'm tempted now to buy tickets after hearing this. A female Leonard Cohen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3xElewqWw
[yt]FB3xElewqWw[/yt]

I was umming and arrring in Resident to buy it the other day but settled for some presales.

It's funny how my views on the subject differ depending on whether I have the ticket or not. A bit like the FA Cup Semi being at Wembley eh?

Get one - Be Nothing, the promoters are one of the very,very good guys (and girl.) They deserve to make a bit on this one if they want, they bring some super stuff to Brighton and have filled the void left by One Inch Badge going big time.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's funny how my views on the subject differ depending on whether I have the ticket or not. A bit like the FA Cup Semi being at Wembley eh?

Get one - Be Nothing, the promoters are one of the very,very good guys (and girl.) They deserve to make a bit on this one if they want, they bring some super stuff to Brighton and have filled the void left by One Inch Badge going big time.

Eh??
EDIT: Sorry, misread it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Come on - you can't fail to have noticed it's become far more money oriented over the last couple of years. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to run it as a business and make money but Be Nothing have taken a few more of the risky, "for the love of it gigs" in the last 2 years or so.

Have a look at the bands OIB are putting on now compared to when it was the 4 original guys involved 2 or 3 years ago. They're even doing bands at the Centre now....

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Come on - you can't fail to have noticed it's become far more money oriented over the last couple of years. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to run it as a business and make money but Be Nothing have taken a few more of the risky, "for the love of it gigs" in the last 2 years or so.

Have a look at the bands OIB are putting on now compared to when it was the 4 original guys involved 2 or 3 years ago. They're even doing bands at the Centre now....

You're too fast James!
I misread it as One Inch Badge going, big time. I thought you were suggesting they'd stopped trading. But it's true, between them and LOUT there are a lot of bland events about, with a few brilliant gigs inbetween. OIB's Olafur Arnalds at the All Saints last year was stunning, but I heard Anna Calvi at the church a few months later didn't have a bar (which I believe is due to no licence, and this will continue - beware, folks).
I'll check out the Be Nothing listings.

Tickets bought by the way. It's payday. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here