The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You're too fast! I misread it as One Inch Badge going, big time. I thought you were suggesting they'd stopped trading. But it's true, between them and LOUT there are a lot of bland events about, with a few brilliant gigs inbetween. OIB's Olafur Arnalds at the All Saints last year was stunning, but I heard Anna Calvi at the church a few months later didn't have a bar (which I believe is due to no licence, and this will continue - beware, folks).
I'll check out the Be Nothing listings.

Tickets bought by the way. It's payday. :)

Sorry about that.

Good work sir!

I'm far from saying OIB aren't putting on good stuff, they are. Brighton's live scene would be a far, far poorer place without them. They just aren't taking the same risks they were say 3 or 4 years ago and there seem to be a few more "money" gigs where I don't really believe that they actually like the band involved.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
You're too fast James!
I misread it as One Inch Badge going, big time. I thought you were suggesting they'd stopped trading. But it's true, between them and LOUT there are a lot of bland events about, with a few brilliant gigs inbetween. OIB's Olafur Arnalds at the All Saints last year was stunning, but I heard Anna Calvi at the church a few months later didn't have a bar (which I believe is due to no licence, and this will continue - beware, folks).
I'll check out the Be Nothing listings.

Tickets bought by the way. It's payday. :)

Funny that. I was working through the latest posts and thought too One Inch Badge had gone to pastures new. Thank god they have not. Hoping for some free OIB organised events as part of the alternative great escape amongst other things.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Lack of Afro album out today a fast forward to the summer

[YT]TqRxsw6jk-U[/YT]

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Eagulls' debut out today. Early frontrunner for me. Also enjoying new Beck, I Break Horses & St. Vincent.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I don't mind the St Vincent album, but it sounds just like an album by a Prince protegee (how do you do an e acute accent on an iPad?) from 1987. Nothing wrong with that - I'm sure I have a Wendy and Lisa single somewhere. Anyone else love Real Estate, or am I alone in my appreciation of jangly guitars and wistfulness?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Eagulls' debut out today. Early frontrunner for me. Also enjoying new Beck, I Break Horses & St. Vincent.

That Eagulls debut really hit the spot for me, I'm normally pretty impatient with generic stuff but I absolutely love it. Perfect mix of punk, post-punk and shoegaze and I really like his voice. It's got a world weary hopelessness about it, it kind of manages to be angry and emotionless at the same time.

Can't wait to see them live again.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't mind the St Vincent album, but it sounds just like an album by a Prince protegee (how do you do an e acute accent on an iPad?) from 1987. Nothing wrong with that - I'm sure I have a Wendy and Lisa single somewhere. Anyone else love Real Estate, or am I alone in my appreciation of jangly guitars and wistfulness?

Yeah I don't get the hype either is OK nothing more or less. I love Real Estate but havent had a chance to listen to their new one yet. Seeing them at the '11 Primevera in the sunshine was blissful.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
That Eagulls debut really hit the spot for me, I'm normally pretty impatient with generic stuff but I absolutely love it. Perfect mix of punk, post-punk and shoegaze and I really like his voice. It's got a world weary hopelessness about it, it kind of manages to be angry and emotionless at the same time.

Same for me, just about managed to catch them supporting Parquet Courts and was more than pleasantly surprised. I hadn't realised, but they played on Letterman a couple of weeks before that C2 gig; MENTAL!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

Haven't yet got to the stage where I can listen to the whole album in a single sitting - the evil iPod has conditioned me into only accepting an endless mixtape of diffuse artistes. I am trying to fight back.....

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Agree absolutely. I'm struggling with St Vincent. I'm sure it's great but it does seem a bit up its arse.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Bought the Sun Kil Moon and Marissa Naddler albums last weekend, bit of an overdose on forlorn acoustic music.

The Sun Kil Moon album is excellent but don't go into it expecting amazing melodies, its just a couple of cool riffs with depressing spoken word ramblings over the top. Still a good album though and the lyrics are interesting enough that you can forgive the tone.

The Sun Kil Moon album is just the latest of a slew of work from Mark Kozelek. He's been in the form of his life but has lately settled on reminiscing about his childhood and what he he has learned. It's uncomfortable at times, but brilliant. The Richard Ramirez song is amazing. And the song about his uncle. "My Uncle died in a fire on his birthday. Redneck that he was, burning trash in the yard". But if you really want to hear his best work, last year's album with Jimmy Lavalle is the one. Kozelek's disturbingly brutal and honest lyrics put to an electronic soundscape background. The latest album isn't his best musically, but as you say the lyrics take it up there.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I love Greenwood's TWBB suite and hadn't heard the Dessner pieces (not being a fan of The National), but first listen they're stunning. Very emotive.

I'll give it a listen. I always feel bad when I listen to The National as I feel I'm missing something - people love them, yet it just sounds turgid and almost totally devoid of life and excitement. It's funny how it's become a cliché to say they're "boring". I think it was Lloyd Cole who once sang "The reason it's a cliché is because it's true." My wife's a fan. Maybe I just need to turn the volume up to 11 and be blown away.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'll give it a listen. I always feel bad when I listen to The National as I feel I'm missing something - people love them, yet it just sounds turgid and almost totally devoid of life and excitement. It's funny how it's become a cliché to say they're "boring". I think it was Lloyd Cole who once sang "The reason it's a cliché is because it's true." My wife's a fan. Maybe I just need to turn the volume up to 11 and be blown away.

I have the same National feeling. It just sounds very, well, boring. If you're into a bit of classical though (I like a bit of Erased tapes artists, Clint Mansell, Johan Johannson etc), go for it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just got Wild Beasts album and looking forward to playing it on the drive home from work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The National are all about the LYRICS. His lyrics and delivery are phenomenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports