Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
"Take my pants off, use my socks.
Smell my socks, eat my face off. "

What a great start. This is clearly best release 2014 so far.

I'm very wary of writing Liars off before giving it a good listen but everything pre Mess on a Mission doesn't do it for me. I think Liars are a bit better than a steady 4/4. 2nd half of the record much more like it. Looking at the general reception I appear to be a fairly lone dissenting voice though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm very wary of writing Liars off before giving it a good listen but everything pre Mess on a Mission doesn't do it for me. I think Liars are a bit better than a steady 4/4. 2nd half of the record much more like it. Looking at the general reception I appear to be a fairly lone dissenting voice though.

Seen a few reviews and most were positive- one even hinting that Liars are taking the piss with this release. Another saying its typical of a mute release from 80s 90s-paying homage to early Depeche Mode/ Georgio Morodor which I kind of get. I am listening to it for what it is at the moment and enjoying it hugely. Still regret not seeing them last Summer!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Seen a few reviews and most were positive- one even hinting that Liars are taking the piss with this release. Another saying its typical of a mute release from 80s 90s-paying homage to early Depeche Mode/ Georgio Morodor which I kind of get. I am listening to it for what it is at the moment and enjoying it hugely. Still regret not seeing them last Summer!

Undoubtedly this stuff worked well live. I'll definitely be seeing them again when they come. That's the problem for me, the influences aren't things I particularly like. Purely personal I reckon, you can't like 'em all, especially with a band like Liars. Still one of my favourite bands out there right now.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
For anyone who ever dreamed of a Yo La Tengo song morphing into Tracy by Mogwai, the dream has become reality: track 4 on the My Sad Captains album. Enjoying it so far - for fans of YLT and the first Engineers album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Took a punt on the Broken Bells After the Disco long player. Pretty good.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Undoubtedly this stuff worked well live. I'll definitely be seeing them again when they come. That's the problem for me, the influences aren't things I particularly like. Purely personal I reckon, you can't like 'em all, especially with a band like Liars. Still one of my favourite bands out there right now.

The gig at the GDS last year (I think) was rather good.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The War on Drugs: very pleasant. Nice expansive stadium rock guitar sounds, some lovely passages. Not trying to sound mean, but if you cross Kurt Vile with Dire Straits and put it in a blender with Neon Bible (without the female vocals) - OK, this is getting hard to imagine now - it would sound like this. Reflective and slightly downbeat, but nice on a sunny day with a cool drink and a deckchair.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A few pints of bitter, a big pack of Kettle chips, an indie quiz and Bob's your uncle. Room for one more??

I don't usually go for smilies but this calls for double blush! Hope the chips are the strong vinegar ones.
:blush::blush:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The War on Drugs: very pleasant. Nice expansive stadium rock guitar sounds, some lovely passages. Not trying to sound mean, but if you cross Kurt Vile with Dire Straits and put it in a blender with Neon Bible (without the female vocals) - OK, this is getting hard to imagine now - it would sound like this. Reflective and slightly downbeat, but nice on a sunny day with a cool drink and a deckchair.

And add a big dollop of Springsteen. I was just saying to someone it will be a great summer album.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
And add a big dollop of Springsteen. I was just saying to someone it will be a great summer album.

TBH, i was going to say "Add some Springsteen, plus a few drops of Bon Iver", but my description was already getting a bit complicated. Definitely a good outdoor/in the car album, suitable for festivals with decent sound systems and weather. I think I'm done now - can't believe NME never got back to me about that reviewer role.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sky Ferreira: well, some run-of-the-mill stuff here, but also some pop/rock gems. "Boys" is a brilliant cross between Common People, Sleigh Bells' classic Crown On The Ground and Chapterhouse's Breather. Great, great song. "Everything Is Embarrassing", if you haven't already heard it, is a must-hear - more laid back, but a classic piece of piano-led downbeat pop. "You're Not The One" is also pretty good chewy pop with a mangled early 80s Altered Images guitar sound amidst the beats. A nice bit of variety for my iPod.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So, we're nearly a quarter of the way through 2014. I'm somehow listening to classical and soundtracks and have barely bought anything that involves a guitar. Apart from War on Drugs who I've never taken to, what's the album of the year so far, people?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
AA.jpg

IMHO The Augustines album.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Finally pulled my finger out and listened to The War On Drugs album, my god. Requires some patience, but I can tell I'm going to be listening to it many, many times. You can tell it took them two years to put together.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The finest male singer alive today.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Polar Bear's new one is a lot sparser and darker than their earlier offerings; it's like a crossover of drum and bass with avant-garde jazz
Liars' new one is a glorious Mess, but a bit erratic
Looks like I'll have to go out and buy the War on Drugs given the effusive praise it's getting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here