Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Have posted on this thread previously and try not to get too involved because I think it is potentially so massive.

On this subject, I e-mailed BBC Radio Sussex in the spring, long in advance of the opening of the Amex, as I felt they would be able to co-ordinate things for us. The reply ................................is still awaited !

I personally think that we should sing the original words (but shortened as to be agreed with the club) and I believe it does not make sense for anything other than 'When you go from Sussex' . There are so many 'original' lyrics / words but, remember, this was created/adopted as an inspirational song/march for our heroes of the first world war.

BBC, given their connections and resources could also have resolved the 'key' issue which will need to be addressed.

Bu---r whether or not you originate from Sussex, it is a mighty fine tune/song/march which can only ever be associated with Sussex, The Albion and SCCC.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Nonsense.

Whaddyer mean nonsense? How can you shout 'hooray' or 'yay' or whatever you shout when the team appears, whilst singing a marching song at the same time? I'd love to see it!

SPonthewing

Oct 23, 2005
Sarf Coast
FANTASTIC

I was in Barcelona for three years in the late 80s and they put the words to Barca Barca up on the screen as half the crowd didnt know them and didnt speak catalan. They do now.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
FANTASTIC

I was in Barcelona for three years in the late 80s and they put the words to Barca Barca up on the screen as half the crowd didnt know them and didnt speak catalan. They do now.
WOW! That is inspiring. We are the Barcelona of the UK, so if it's good enough for them...?

Mayo03

Aug 10, 2011
Great idea!!

My late Grandad learnt the words, when he was in the army during WWII, and was stationed with some Sussex Reg (he was in the Sherwood Foresters) so we sung it togeher - nice touch remembering those who sang it before us!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great idea!!

My late Grandad learnt the words, when he was in the army during WWII, and was stationed with some Sussex Reg (he was in the Sherwood Foresters) so we sung it togeher - nice touch remembering those who sang it before us!
That sums it up very well. Ok so GOSBTS is played by a brass band and not some DJ mixing a load of electronic bleeps 'n' beats together. The lyrics imply we're all farmers and not IT consultants or marketing executives - and of course it uses the word 'gay' in its original context. None of that matters. When we're singing it we've got the continuity with those that went before us, the same words, the same tune, the same instrumentation, the same arrangement. If those WW1 soldiers came back now they might be a bit taken aback with some of the 21st century, but once that opening brass fanfare rang out they'd be at one with us.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I believe it does not make sense for anything other than 'When you go from Sussex'. There are so many 'original' lyrics / words but, remember, this was created/adopted as an inspirational song/march for our heroes of the first world war.

I can see you point on the 'from' & I guess there are different versions. All I can say is I have a copy of the sheet music which I was given many moons ago, price 2/- & very yellow edges but not dated. The words in it are ' When you go to Sussex'. Interestingly on the inside cover it says 'copyright, 1907 by Chas: Sheard & Co in the USA' It was published/printed in England by 'Herman Darewski Music Publishing & Co. Incorporating Chas. Sheard & Co.' Don’t know if that would help to date it or authenticate the correct words.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I can see you point on the 'from' & I guess there are different versions. All I can say is I have a copy of the sheet music which I was given many moons ago, price 2/- & very yellow edges but not dated. The words in it are ' When you go to Sussex'. Interestingly on the inside cover it says 'copyright, 1907 by Chas: Sheard & Co in the USA' It was published/printed in England by 'Herman Darewski Music Publishing & Co. Incorporating Chas. Sheard & Co.' Don’t know if that would help to date it or authenticate the correct words.
Loving the detail here... while we are waiting for a response from the club then it doesn't do any harm... :)

I am a firm advocate of "when you go to Sussex, whoever you may be... tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea"" for the reasons explained by Gilliver's Travels.

For me, this is all about the context of the original song. This plaintive request from those poor young blokes, facing a hideous death far from their home and family, is just about as inspiringly emotive as it gets... "stand or fall" should be our club's rallying cry and fully understood by this and every future generation of Albion fans.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Sussex By the Sea - The Sussex County's Unofficial Anthem.

Suppose we will never get agreement on this but Sussex History quotes 'from'

Best

Last edited:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Loving the detail here... while we are waiting for a response from the club then it doesn't do any harm... :)

I am a firm advocate of "when you go to Sussex, whoever you may be... tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea"" for the reasons explained by Gilliver's Travels.

For me, this is all about the context of the original song. This plaintive request from those poor young blokes, facing a hideous death far from their home and family, is just about as inspiringly emotive as it gets... "stand or fall" should be our club's rallying cry and fully understood by this and every future generation of Albion fans.

Moshe, you are quite right, that would have been the original context & we should all remember that & honour those young men.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

This is a pretty persuasive argument... I am definitely being swayed toward the 'TO' camp!

This should be explained somehow to fans in general, so that the significance of the words is clear - it should add to the interest/motivation in singing it properly.

And... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Moshe! :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sussex By the Sea - The Sussex County's Unofficial Anthem.

Best
Interesting! That version makes the least sense of all...!!!

I can understand "from" and "wherever", as a challenge to "to" and "whoever", but really don't like "from" and "whoever"...

I've just realised part of my liking for the sentiment "please, whoever you are, go back to Sussex and tell them what we are doing out here - because we probably won't get the chance to..." comes from the famous memorial inscription and Remembrance day verse:

"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This should be explained somehow to fans in general, so that the significance of the words is clear - it should add to the interest/motivation in singing it properly.
In the the longer-term, it should be compulsory for every school in Sussex to receive a regular visit from the Albion for the delivery of a special "Sussex By The Sea" educational session...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Sussex By the Sea - The Sussex County's Unofficial Anthem.[/url]
Best
I have no axe to grind on this, and seek only authenticity. I have the 1907 sheet music mentioned by fly high, and it is worded exactly as he says. That 'Sussex History' website is simply one man's recollection, without any quoted source.

But I feel strongly that we really should be true to Ward-Higgs' original wording. So if anyone has a version that's both authenticated and earlier, please let us all know!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I would love to get this moving, getting the whole crowd singing together would be fabulous.

Ideal would be to sound something like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZp_PwWgrUI
Yes, a bit like that :) and there are lots of other examples around where similar songs are sung... the thing about most of these club songs is that they are (in NSC parlance) "a bit shit"... in the hands of a passionate crowd, however, and with years of tradition, they take on an emotive value...

SBTS done properly would knock the spots off anything else out there in my completely unbiased opinion. Seriously, what are the contenders for any club song that has remotely equivalent intrinsic meaning and value...?

"You'll Never Walk Alone" is obviously special, notably post-Heysel and -Hillsborough, but at the end of the day is still a pop song. We have, sitting under our noses, the opportunity to be right on top of this tree.

Nothing back from the club yet. Going straight to TB's personal e-mail address was always ambitious and I'll give it a few more days as he could possibly be the key.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yes, a bit like that :) and there are lots of other examples around where similar songs are sung... the thing about most of these club songs is that they are (in NSC parlance) "a bit shit"... in the hands of a passionate crowd, however, and with years of tradition, they take on an emotive value...

SBTS done properly would knock the spots off anything else out there in my completely unbiased opinion. Seriously, what are the contenders for any club song that has remotely equivalent intrinsic meaning and value...?

"You'll Never Walk Alone" is obviously special, notably post-Heysel and -Hillsborough, but at the end of the day is still a pop song. We have, sitting under our noses, the opportunity to be right on top of this tree.

Nothing back from the club yet. Going straight to TB's personal e-mail address was always ambitious and I'll give it a few more days as he could possibly be the key.

Martin Perry's work email is public knowledge, maybe drop him a line?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here