Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
This.

You can't just change the words because you fancy it. The words are the words. You CAN however, rearrange the song a little if needed. Which I think it is.

I'd also like it if at the end there were some thumping drums to get a Brighton chant going. Good way to end.

Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum BRIGHTON!

Are You Mad?:angry::angry::angry:

Keep Drums out of Football grounds!.:wrong:

Streuth, might as well go to Fratton Park and nick their effing bell

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
how the feck can the proper words be "inappropriate" ????????

Absolutely.

It is our ANTHEM-it's not some X Factor karaoke singer's first over-hyped single. If the young kids don't like it-tough. They'll get used to it and should eventually understand that this piece of music is OURS.

Excellent work guys.

This needs to be happening.

To all of you who think the word 'gay' is inappropriate, that isn't our problem-no original words should be changed. Ever.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This.

You can't just change the words because you fancy it. The words are the words. You CAN however, rearrange the song a little if needed. Which I think it is.

I'd also like it if at the end there were some thumping drums to get a Brighton chant going. Good way to end.

NO F***ING DRUMS AT THE AMEX.

EVER!

(Except when there's a marching band performing Sussex By The Sea on the pitch).

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Absolutely.

It is our ANTHEM-it's not some X Factor karaoke singer's first over-hyped single. If the young kids don't like it-tough. They'll get used to it and should eventually understand that this piece of music is OURS.

Excellent work guys.

This needs to be happening.

To all of you who think the word 'gay' is inappropriate, that isn't our problem-no original words should be changed. Ever.

:bowdown:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Are You Mad?:angry::angry::angry:

Keep Drums out of Football grounds!.:wrong:

Streuth, might as well go to Fratton Park and nick their effing bell

NO F***ING DRUMS AT THE AMEX.

EVER!

(Except when there's a marching band performing Sussex By The Sea on the pitch).

I just meant nine bangs at the end of the video which would get the chant going. If you're going to have karaoke at the football you can hardly moan about 9 loud bangs being cringey.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That video is fantastic. And for any people uncomfortable with singing the word 'gay', three points:

1 Sussex by the Sea is a traditional football song, with traditional words. Anyone want to sing new words to 'Abide with me' while were at it?

2 If the real words were good enough to be sung by countless thousands of rough, tough squaddies from the Royal Sussex Regiment, that'll do for me.

3 Since when did we give a stuff about what opposition fans think? This is our unique song. Time to man up.

Bang on

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think that "you can tell them all, we stand or fall" is better than "we're going up and we'll win the cup"..

That is of course my unqualified opinion.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I think that "you can tell them all, we stand or fall" is better than "we're going up and we'll win the cup"..

That is of course my unqualified opinion.

Agree whole heartedly. Words HAVE to be kept as they were written. I'm not particularly religious yet still sing 'god save our holy queen'

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Now I follow! My mistake but the god bit still stands :D

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Bad news I'm afraid. The first response from the club about this has been a very brief, very negative, and dismissive e-mail from Ken Brown (Managing Director). He only used a couple of lines but did manage to mention the previous negative feedback from fans about "words on the screens" - so he obviously hasn't understood at all well the unique character of this proposal. Furthermore, he made no reference to the petition or to the quality of the presentation - all in all (as an Australian cricketer would say) it is "a little disappointing"...

What next? It is completely understandable that the senior management team at the club have got more important issues to deal with at the moment and are extremely busy - it is hard to see past this. In light of this, I replied to Ken Brown asking him if the matter can possibly be delegated and re-visited by someone else at the club - someone who might have a little bit more time to consider the proposal and to discuss it, at least to the point of explaining the decision making process.

So it's wait and see again now then, but not looking good. :(

Beachbum71

Beachbum71
Apr 15, 2011
Shoreham beach
Bad news I'm afraid. The first response from the club about this has been a very brief, very negative, and dismissive e-mail from Ken Brown (Managing Director). He only used a couple of lines but did manage to mention the previous negative feedback from fans about "words on the screens" - so he obviously hasn't understood at all well the unique character of this proposal. Furthermore, he made no reference to the petition or to the quality of the presentation - all in all (as an Australian cricketer would say) it is "a little disappointing"...

Perhaps thr club will reconsider and I shall keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for you efforts, top drawer.
What next? It is completely understandable that the senior management team at the club have got more important issues to deal with at the moment and are extremely busy - it is hard to see past this. In light of this, I replied to Ken Brown asking him if the matter can possibly be delegated and re-visited by someone else at the club - someone who might have a little bit more time to consider the proposal and to discuss it, at least to the point of explaining the decision making process.

So it's wait and see again now then, but not looking good. :(

That's a shame. I think it's a great idea and a long way from displaying "SEAGULLS" when we are awarded a corner (Naff). Fingers crossed that they reconsider. Thanks for you fine effort. Top drawer.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bad news I'm afraid. The first response from the club about this has been a very brief, very negative, and dismissive e-mail from Ken Brown (Managing Director). He only used a couple of lines but did manage to mention the previous negative feedback from fans about "words on the screens" - so he obviously hasn't understood at all well the unique character of this proposal

Brown completely misunderstanding things again then and showing how out of touch with the fans he is. Maybe we should get an opera singer instead.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
A real shame and a set back, But we must keep on with this. GOSBTS is not a poor 'Seagulls, Seagulls' when we have a corner, It is our anthem and it must be worth a least one try. If the reaction is negative scrap it, But we all know it wont be.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I really would love to know what Brown understands or even knows about the heritage of BHAFC as he sits in 1st class on the train going to away games no doubt on club expenses.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I really would love to know what Brown understands or even knows about the heritage of BHAFC as he sits in 1st class on the train going to away games no doubt on club expenses.

You have an issue with him going to away games on expenses? That is a seriously strange thing to say. Do you think he wants to trek all the way up to Middlesbrough on a Saturday a couple of weeks before Christmas to watch the club he doesn't even support? I very much doubt it, but it's his job, why the hell should he be expected to pay to do it out of his own pocket?

But I agree with the first part of your post. Him responding by saying they had negative feedback when they put words on the screen before is just basically saying he didn't read the email or the petition and didn't bother to watch the presentation. Which is pretty lame in my book.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Him responding by saying they had negative feedback when they put words on the screen before is just basically saying he didn't read the email or the petition and didn't bother to watch the presentation. Which is pretty lame in my book.
I agree with this. It can be excused within the context of all the excellent work that continues to go into making The AMEX so amazing and for which, presumably, Mr Brown has prime responsibility.

I think that the SBTS AV Presentation still has legs and massive potential, but it needs to be picked up on by someone at the club who has more time to look at it properly, and who is more persuaded by the groundswell of Albion fan opinion and tradition. Hopefully this will happen at some point - it is obviously naive to expect anything to happen quickly so we will need to consider this campaign as unfolding over a longer timeframe.

I also agree with Drumstick, and I think this can be the main thrust of the campaign now, that it should at least be given a try. If it doesn't work very well then they don't need to do it again, but it could be very, very good so why not try it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here