Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
After many hours of technically skilled work by [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] (and great contributions of images from the NSC photographers) we have a prototype AV presentation to offer to the club for consideration.

I have sent it direct to Tony Bloom along with the e-petition and am hopeful of a positive response.

Surely it is a "no-brainer" that 20,000 belting this out at The AMEX before each home game would be a good thing? It wouldn't interfere with the current approach to The Fanzone crank-up but would just massively enhance the "Sussex by the Sea" walk-out...

Please add comments to this thread - any considered opinions will be very welcome.

[yt]K43TzRz16xI[/yt]

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Excellent, but the version we now play has just one verse and one chorus - I don't agree with the abridged version but if it were any longer they'd be no time to cram all the team "walk-on's" in before kick off.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
great work moshe and biscuit ,,,
i have been singing along and i love it!
it will work ...

you asked for feedback so here is mine ...I would like to have a football clip if possible
eg "we´re going up" (decisive goal going in , in 1979 or 2011 or similar"
... or some other football action to do with promotion and ... arent there better pictures of the "cup" than the one on the bus, ... on the pitch at withdean?
and do we need soldiers at the beginning and the end ...
i like the sussex regiment at the beginning but what about a massive crowd picture or similar to finish off with !
as i said great work...and will be very happy to see it in this originbal condition on the screens at withdean!

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
ken ... ... maybe someone just needs to press the play button earlier ... teams then walk out after the first 30 secs

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I am all in favour of 'Sussex By The Sea' as the team comes out but, sorry, I cannot agree the words as they are inappropriate etc.

Having said that, would be better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Excellent, but the version we now play has just one verse and one chorus - I don't agree with the abridged version but if it were any longer they'd be no time to cram all the team "walk-on's" in before kick off.

This. There's too many people in the ground who don't know 'our' words, let alone the real ones. The song is too long unfortunately for your average football crowd to be able to sing all the way through. Nice video though.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks Ken and Loco..!

Ken - not sure that is a problem... it doesn't really matter what the players are doing - they can be walking out, shaking hands, running off to do their final warm-ups, whacking a few shots over the bar, etc etc while we sing away...

Loco - I am sure there are lots of possible improvements to the images... the inclusion of video clips is also probably possible without interfering with the words (especially if at a point where everyone knows the words anyway) but there is a consideration of keeping everyone in time together... if you want to see how averagely badly it can go then look at Youtube videos of the Tottenham and Doncaster pre-matches...!

I am hopeful the club will go for it but obviously they might well not... if they do, then I think they will want to make their own version which would be likely to cover various types of improvements...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
super job
hope to be there soon to hear it and join in.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This. There's too many people in the ground who don't know 'our' words, let alone the real ones. The song is too long unfortunately for your average football crowd to be able to sing all the way through. Nice video though.
As replied to Ken, length is not an issue re. what the players are doing but I do completely acknowledge that this version pushes at the limits of what football crowds are capable of... however, there are plenty of examples of popular crowd songs that last as long, and much longer, than one minute 45 seconds... sitting watching it on the computer for the 20th time even I find it requires a bit of persistence but once a fortnight on matchday is surely different?

People would also soon learn the words - they are not hard to learn - and then I could see this being sung during games, especially away.

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Thanks Ken and Loco..!

Ken - not sure that is a problem... it doesn't really matter what the players are doing - they can be walking out, shaking hands, running off to do their final warm-ups, whacking a few shots over the bar, etc etc while we sing away...

You say that, but the last few games there's been an awkward music while the music has been on, but the players have all been lead by Greer towards the North Stand, at which points everyone stops singing and starts cheering/applauding.

It's easier said than done to think the lyrics on the screen will make any difference. Plus, to a lot of people (not myself) think the words sound stupid. Then there's the next challenge of getting it sung during a game, which is unlikely as it's hard enough singing it at the moment without play interrupting. Think this is a bigger challenge than people realise.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Great work!

I tripped over the 'good old Sussex by the sea' first time around as I prefer 'Sussex, Sussex by the sea' but I'll just have to lump it because I will back this 100%.

I have already started fantasising about 20000 of us all singing this together. Please make it happen.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Great work!

I tripped over the 'good old Sussex by the sea' first time around as I prefer 'Sussex, Sussex by the sea' but I'll just have to lump it because I will back this 100%.

I have already started fantasising about 20000 of us all singing this together. Please make it happen.
Cheers - great post. I have huge sympathy with "Sussex, Sussex, by the sea" and also "Stand or fall" at the end of the chorus and would love to have it like that but I just think that is too big a stretch as 99% will launch into the "football version"...!

I know that a more purist approach, involving the singing of all the proper words, has already been rejected by the club earlier this year so I wanted to avoid repeating that experience.

Glad you will back it. On the one hand you have RR'sHaircut's legitimate reservations and on the other you have people saying it would definitely be magic - the jury is out.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You say that, but the last few games there's been an awkward music while the music has been on, but the players have all been lead by Greer towards the North Stand, at which points everyone stops singing and starts cheering/applauding.

It's easier said than done to think the lyrics on the screen will make any difference. Plus, to a lot of people (not myself) think the words sound stupid. Then there's the next challenge of getting it sung during a game, which is unlikely as it's hard enough singing it at the moment without play interrupting. Think this is a bigger challenge than people realise.
Thanks for these constructive comments - I didn't realise that about Greer and the clapping... maybe a good answer to that problem would be to start it up while the players gather in the tunnel and then to reach the crescendo as the players appear? At the moment there often seems to be a hiatus and lull in the atmosphere at this point anyway...?

I think the people who think the words are "stupid" need educating (!) and the likes of Tony Bloom and the club obviously backing it might go some way to doing that...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The words are out of date now, that's my only objection. But it's not really an objection because it's Sussex By The Sea, it's our song. We should be belting that out before every match, and I would sing every word if that video came on screen tomorrow.

Gus is giving us an identity on the pitch, we need to work on it off the pitch, and for me, this is a good start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports