Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
@Moshe Gariani it might be worth making contact with @ted hitchcock ... he seems like a man with his finger on the technical pulse in the BHA Production Department !

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ideo-Screens&p=4539310&viewfull=1#post4539310
thanks [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION]... I have looked at that thread but not since Ted posted. Seems like he is part of the production team who would be involved in screening the SBTS presentation - I'll drop him a pm and see whether he has made anything of the discussions on here so far.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks for the comments - another purist view with which I am increasingly sympathetic. I'm struggling to see beyond the merits of 1. "Now is the time" 2. "For we're the men" 3. "Sussex, Sussex" and then cut the music/words and let the hoi polloi do what they want with the football version - hopefully it will be a well paced rendition of what are long-standing and traditional lines for Albion fans...

A Sussex based singer could work but they often seem to do more harm than good as they can't resist poncing around with the tune in some way.
Exactly. Like that opera singer who RUINED the opening day ceremony at The Amex.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
for those of us born and bred in sussex
and now living wherever we may be ...
it seems correct to sing
AND IF YOU COME FROM SUSSEX ...
!!!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I love this and definitely think it should be part of the pre-match build-up. Even if we can't get the presentation up on the screens, it would be worth playing this (lower key) version and having the lyrics printed in programs.

But the best solution would be to play this.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Let's hope the club takes it on board, it would be relatively cheap to produce and the results would be cracking.

I managed to render and encode that bad boy on an ancient PC! Although I think my PC has now given up the ghost. Running a two pass encode took over 5 hours to run off a 1m 51 second clip! Time to get an imac with AE and FCP please.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks very much to Brovion and Moshe Gariani for those responses. The cover of the 1907 score bears the heading: "Military marching song" with the explanatory note "Military authorities desire that singing on the march should be encouraged, and for that purpose this song is adapted."

It would seem that most of that marching would have been done a long way from Sussex. (At the time, the Royal Sussex Regiment had units deployed in India.) As MG suggests, anyone hearing the anthem was being urged to go and tell the people of Sussex that that the county's soldiers had done them proud. This was especially poignant between 1914 and 1918, when many of Sussex's finest sang the song for the last time before going wearily and resignedly to their deaths.

Nearly a century later, the Amex provides a unique opportunity for thousands of Albion fans to express that same pride in their county. Given that history, it's hard to understand why anyone would want to 'modernise' those words.

Very much this.

There can't be many other clubs who have an anthem that has been in use (mostly) for over a century. Keep it as is.
Also, it must finish BEFORE the team takes to the pitch - you can't sing and cheer the team out at the same time.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So the poll results are pretty clear then. I haven't read the whole thread, have the club been contacted about this yet?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Let's hope the club takes it on board, it would be relatively cheap to produce and the results would be cracking.

I managed to render and encode that bad boy on an ancient PC! Although I think my PC has now given up the ghost. Running a two pass encode took over 5 hours to run off a 1m 51 second clip! Time to get an imac with AE and FCP please.
Love the techie detail [MENTION=307]Biscuit[/MENTION] - means absolutely nothing to me (apart from the 5 hours bit) :lolol: No doubt that you have made the key contribution here - without your skills we would just be talking about this, rather than potentially getting somewhere.

Nothing back yet from TB or [MENTION=14499]ted hitchcock[/MENTION]. I do know that the club have been negative about a similar previous request so I am prepared for disappointment - but, equally, this is a bit different and has momentum behind it from a large number of fans.

We will obviously know in due course and soon enough. Plan B (to contact others at the club) can wait for a few more days.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Very much this.

There can't be many other clubs who have an anthem that has been in use (mostly) for over a century. Keep it as is.
Also, it must finish BEFORE the team takes to the pitch - you can't sing and cheer the team out at the same time.
Thanks for the comments. Another vote for tradition and making the fullest link back to the origin of the song.

I'm interested in the idea of it finishing BEFORE the team takes to the pitch... no-one else has mentioned that possibility

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Didn't everyone here go mental about having the lyrics on the screen when the club did it a while ago and how rubbish it is and how it should never be done? Or did I imagine that?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Didn't everyone here go mental about having the lyrics on the screen when the club did it a while ago and how rubbish it is and how it should never be done? Or did I imagine that?

I am pretty sure they didn't put up the words to SBTS... I do recall some 'Seagulls' type things being flashed up, and rightly mocked. But this is completely different.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Obviously still not everyone's cup of tea (currently 11.57% voting against) but seems to have general support.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Flashing up the words "Seagulls, Seagulls" on the screen when we get a corner is completely different. It is cringey and American, as if we were at some kind of Baseball game.

This would be different, and the ideal scenario is that after a while they don't need to put the words on the screen anyway. Same as Liverpool with YNWA.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oh ok, I was under the impression it was GOSBTS that they'd put up, not american sports style crowd instructions. LET'S GO DE-FENSE *clap clap clap clap* etc

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oh ok, I was under the impression it was GOSBTS that they'd put up, not american sports style crowd instructions. LET'S GO DE-FENSE *clap clap clap clap* etc

It was really cringey, they put up "Seagulls, Seagulls", "Sea Sea Seasiders" and then "Come on Albion"- quite when we've ever sung that I'm not sure.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I am absolutely 100% behind this campaign.

I totally support using the 'STAND OR FALL' option first... and then the "GOING UP etc.." in the chorus.

On the TO/FROM debate... whatever the original words... given that we are singing this IN Sussex... is it not more meaningful to sing "and when you go FROM Sussex, wherever you may be..." ? (However, I certainly don't feel strongly enough to be worried about whatever option gets used!!)

or
" and when you come to Sussex,
Whoever you may be..............

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Very much this.

Nonsense.

bha blue&white army

Nov 4, 2011
You say that, but the last few games there's been an awkward music while the music has been on, but the players have all been lead by Greer towards the North Stand, at which points everyone stops singing and starts cheering/applauding.

It's easier said than done to think the lyrics on the screen will make any difference. Plus, to a lot of people (not myself) think the words sound stupid. Then there's the next challenge of getting it sung during a game, which is unlikely as it's hard enough singing it at the moment without play interrupting. Think this is a bigger challenge than people realise.

And he's still moaning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here