Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be happy enough with something like this on the big screens...?

• Yes

Votes: 181 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 12.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Really liked it. The on screen words may need some tweaking to improve their visibility and that of the follow. Second putting in a bit more football. Most people near me have a go at GOSBTS and expect they would welcome a longer sing song with words.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I remember taking my father to Upton Park to see Bright0on. Hes a West Ham fan and hadnt been there for fifty years and when they started singing 'Blowing Bubbles' he has tears rolling down his face.

If this happens that will be me when I finally get to the Amex.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Good work, needs shortening I think and/or needs the full version to be played say Half hour before kick off on the big screens and screens in the concourses. Also needs some more football pics of FA cup and promotion days also of Albion in early days would be good. Maybe the club can help with the production as the montage is good. Also I think the words need to be a little bigger so can be seen from wsu.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I personally think that is brilliant. Like some others I might have some minor quibbles at some of the words ("Sussex, Sussex by the sea", and "And when you go/come from Sussex"), but I'll swallow those and give the project my wholehearted support.

Our anthem. *sniff*

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This. Can't we scrap the lines about the cup and replace with "You can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the sea" ? "Going up to win the cup" is alright for the speeded up version.
Actually if you look at the words for the 'cup' bit "Going up and we'll win the cup." (Hooray, it finally makes sense at last!). However I agree with you inasmuch as ideally we should use the original words throughout; if we've altered one bit to make it more 'relevant' then people will ask for other bits to be made 'relevant' as well, and then we'll NEVER agree on the words.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The quality of the video is great, no issues there. Just can't seeing it working before a game when the club are already struggling to use the big screens as it is, especially when the timing on here would have to be perfect. Possibly in the future but I think it would be a failure if tried now.

Also think you'll struggle to get everyone singing as it is targeted at "men" and I don't think many people will be overly keen on singing about reaping and sowing etc.

And for those reasons, it's a no from me. Sorry

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Like some others I might have some minor quibbles at some of the words ("Sussex, Sussex by the sea", and "And when you go/come from Sussex"), but I'll swallow those and give the project my wholehearted support.

Our anthem. *sniff*
The original, 1907-published score that I have most definitely has "And when you go to Sussex..." .

If you have anything to contradict that, please PM me - this is important!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The original, 1907-published score that I have most definitely has "And when you go to Sussex..." .

I have thought about this quite a lot and have concluded that the exhortation is from soldiers serving overseas that "whoever" is being addressed should go "to" Sussex and tell the people there that ultimate sacrifices are being made on behalf of, and for the continued prosperity of, their beloved "Sussex by the Sea"...

it feels a plaintive request as though the men might be anticipating not having the chance to go back themselves...

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

No, sorry, nothing to contradict it, just the way I've sung it in the past! However as I said I'm more than happy to switch to the proper 1907 words; we've already seen on this thread people saying things like "I don't want to sing about reaping and sowing as no one does that any more", and again as I said before if you say "ok we'll modernise the words" you'll NEVER get agreement! In the same spirit I'm happy to let "going up and we'll win the cup" get replaced by the original "tell them all that we stand or fall" couplet, despite the fact I've been running a campaign for the last decade to get "and we'll win the cup" back into the lyrics!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Thanks very much to Brovion and Moshe Gariani for those responses. The cover of the 1907 score bears the heading: "Military marching song" with the explanatory note "Military authorities desire that singing on the march should be encouraged, and for that purpose this song is adapted."

It would seem that most of that marching would have been done a long way from Sussex. (At the time, the Royal Sussex Regiment had units deployed in India.) As MG suggests, anyone hearing the anthem was being urged to go and tell the people of Sussex that that the county's soldiers had done them proud. This was especially poignant between 1914 and 1918, when many of Sussex's finest sang the song for the last time before going wearily and resignedly to their deaths.

Nearly a century later, the Amex provides a unique opportunity for thousands of Albion fans to express that same pride in their county. Given that history, it's hard to understand why anyone would want to 'modernise' those words.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It would seem that most of that marching would have been done a long way from Sussex. (At the time, the Royal Sussex Regiment had units deployed in India.) [...] anyone hearing the anthem was being urged to go and tell the people of Sussex that that the county's soldiers had done them proud. This was especially poignant between 1914 and 1918, when many of Sussex's finest sang the song for the last time before going wearily and resignedly to their deaths.

Nearly a century later, the Amex provides a unique opportunity for thousands of Albion fans to express that same pride in their county.

It is a shame to feel like we might be "preaching to the choir" on this thread now but that is perfectly expressed. Mainly for the above reason it will be desperately disappointing if this most recent revival campaign ends in failure (nothing back from TB yet :( but I guess that isn't surprising and a few more days should be allowed to pass before any thought of Plan B...).

FWIW, I am now convinced of the value in using the original verse for at least the first time round as suggested by [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION] earlier. This would of course result in some initial confusion but with it presented in 10 foot high letters at every home match I'm sure people would soon get the hang of it...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am absolutely 100% behind this campaign.

I totally support using the 'STAND OR FALL' option first... and then the "GOING UP etc.." in the chorus.

On the TO/FROM debate... whatever the original words... given that we are singing this IN Sussex... is it not more meaningful to sing "and when you go FROM Sussex, wherever you may be..." ? (However, I certainly don't feel strongly enough to be worried about whatever option gets used!!)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
On the TO/FROM debate... whatever the original words... given that we are singing this IN Sussex... is it not more meaningful to sing "and when you go FROM Sussex, wherever you may be..." ?
:lolol: typically provocative from the Titanic... utter nonsense of course

Maybe the second chorus could be the final unaccompanied bit that seems to be employed effectively in the singing of football club anthems elsewhere...?

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
<fanfare intro>

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be GAY
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea.​

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea
We plough and sow and reap and mow
And useful men we are we
And when you go FROM Sussex
WHEREVER you may be
You can tell them all that we STAND or FALL
For Sussex by the sea​

(music ends)​

ALL TOGETHER NOW...​

Good old Sussex by the sea
Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
for Sussex by the Sea!​

<cheers, blubbing, etc...>

or do you want a traditional chorus, sung at a sensible speed, with the band playing... before the 'All together now' etc...​

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
<fanfare intro>

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea.​

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea
We plough and sow and reap and mow
And useful men we are we
And when you go from Sussex
Wherever you may be
You can tell them all that we STAND or FALL
For Sussex by the sea​

(music ends)​

ALL TOGETHER NOW...​

Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup
for Sussex by the Sea!​

<cheers, blubbing, etc...>​
it is certainly an option... :)

Having seen that written down I definitely prefer "to" and "whoever"...

I also love the "Sussex, Sussex by the sea" chorus and don't see any need to leave it out for the sake of saving 20 seconds... If this ever comes to fruition (and I acknowledge it's a big "if") then I don't think anyone will think it is "going on too long"...

I am in two minds about the merits of "can" v. "may"... without checking I assume that "may" is the purist's choice - I think I prefer "can"...

"(music ends)" followed by "ALL TOGETHER NOW" has clear potential - not sure about pros and cons...!

Oh the joys of the chat forum (only an hour and a half til home time...) :)

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Excellent stuff except for the end.

one suggetsion - Cut the "We're going up and we'll win the cup" because it makes no sense in the context of the song. let the fans sinig it if they want to but it makes no sense just being tagged onto the end of the proper words.....

Could have a proper singer (must be one based in Brighton ffs) to sing it in the centre circle as the teams come out?

the images are EXCELLENT

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
how the feck can the proper words be "inappropriate" ????????

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Excellent stuff except for the end.

one suggetsion - Cut the "We're going up and we'll win the cup" because it makes no sense in the context of the song. let the fans sing it if they want to but it makes no sense just being tagged onto the end of the proper words.....

Could have a proper singer (must be one based in Brighton ffs) to sing it in the centre circle as the teams come out?

the images are EXCELLENT
Thanks for the comments - another purist view with which I am increasingly sympathetic. I'm struggling to see beyond the merits of 1. "Now is the time" 2. "For we're the men" 3. "Sussex, Sussex" and then cut the music/words and let the hoi polloi do what they want with the football version - hopefully it will be a well paced rendition of what are long-standing and traditional lines for Albion fans...

A Sussex based singer could work but they often seem to do more harm than good as they can't resist poncing around with the tune in some way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports