tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My current pile of upcoming tickets although some are next year

Frank Turner - Coren exchange
Florence and the machine - The O2
Jake Bugg - Dome
Biffy Clyro - The O2

Fingers crossed on Friday I'll be adding Stone Roses - finsbury park to that list.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Joan Armatrading at the Dome
Beth Orton at George's Church, Kemptown
The XX at wherever it is (Concorde or Dome)
Wozza has come up trumps with a ticket for Civil Wars at the Dome next week
Saint Saviour at the Hope

I'm passing on St Etienne. I saw them earlier this year at the Palladium, they came across as self-satisfied with nothing left to say.

After a random night, I ended up at the Green Door a few weeks back and saw a Brighton band, the Valentines. The Green Door is a great venue with a traditional feel to it and much easier for everyone to see the band than, say, the Haunt or the Albert. I think it is turning into my favourite live venue in Brighton. The band came across as a bit up their own arses but I think for the music and image they are aspiring to it will be the perfect attitude for them. I'd love to see them get mainstream success and enjoy the inevitable excesses that go with it. I enjoyed their performance a lot, they've got some great tunes (borrowing heavily from the Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Blur) and only cost me £2 to get in. There was a good mix of people too. The crowd that go to the Haunt are up their own arses.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The XX at wherever it is (Concorde or Dome)
Wozza has come up trumps with a ticket for Civil Wars at the Dome next week
Saint Saviour at the Hope

I'm passing on St Etienne. I saw them earlier this year at the Palladium, they came across as self-satisfied with nothing left to say.

After a random night, I ended up at the Green Door a few weeks back and saw a Brighton band, the Valentines. The Green Door is a great venue with a traditional feel to it and much easier for everyone to see the band than, say, the Haunt or the Albert. I think it is turning into my favourite live venue in Brighton. The band came across as a bit up their own arses but I think for the music and image they are aspiring to it will be the perfect attitude for them. I'd love to see them get mainstream success and enjoy the inevitable excesses that go with it. I enjoyed their performance a lot, they've got some great tunes (borrowing heavily from the Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Blur) and only cost me £2 to get in. There was a good mix of people too. The crowd that go to the Haunt are up their own arses.

Have to agree with you about The Green Door Store- fantastic venue and because the bands tend to play the length of the room they are easy to see. As for the Haunt- it is a very awkward funnel shape and that is its main problem. Difficult to see anything unless you are at the very front- which is where I tend to be. The other problem it has is no draught beer. Dont think you can slag off the crowd though as they have no choice as to where a band they want to see play. As for other venues in Brighton we are lucky to have such a range- I am looking forward to seeing Savages at the revamped ballroom in The Ship Hotel in November.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dont think you can slag off the crowd though as they have no choice as to where a band they want to see play

Yeah. I was being a bit harsh. It just seems that the Haunt has a lot more ironic moustache-types. Although it might have something to do with being forced into very close proximity with everyone else and you notice the person next to you more.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Speaking of the haunt going to see the walking papers on the 8/11 got XIV eye a ticket for his bday coz im nice like that :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im sure the Valentines supported reverend and the makers the other day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just 2 for the forseable:

Gong at the Concorde II on Thursday
Motorhead at Portsmouth Guildhall on the 14th.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh and going with Buzzer to see Beth Ortonm. Hoping to get to Saint Saviour as well.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Mark Gardener solo at the Green Door tom (thurs) - playing Ride songs, even though it may be on a 12 string acoustic rather than earbleedingly loud - unmissable! Will be there on me todd tho as can't buy a gig-going friend midweek nowadays, shamefully.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It was a 'concert' wasn't it? I enjoyed it, although it took a while to 'tune in'. Those Scandinavians are barking. Also John Grant (support act) has one of the best voices I've ever heard.

John Grant brought me to tears live with this one a couple of years back. Lyrically outstanding, so glad he seems to have ridded himself of the demons that plagued him during his time with The Czars.

John Grant - Queen Of Denmark - YouTube

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone catch the 80's matchbox show @ The Concorde this week? The original line up reformed and it was their first Brighton gig (as this line up) since 2005. Absolutely ferocious.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Ha ha! I'm mates with The Valentines and you are dead right. Originally from Jersey. Always fun.

Dunno if Beth Orton is worth the extortionate ticket price she always seems to command these days. I saw St Etienne in Boston the other day, but not the actual gig.

Green Door is amazing. The Haunt is only bad because of its ridiculous prices for canned beer. It is Still 1985 on a Satdi is easily Brighton's best weekly night at the moment, even if you are sane/loathe mainstream 80s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Haunt is only bad because of its ridiculous prices for canned beer.

This. I really despise their rigorous aggressive bag searches as well. I'm 44 years of f***ing age and not into smuggling a bottle of vodka in these days but that said I have no issue with people doing this given their prices and lousy door attitude. It puts a negative slant on your night before you have even entered the venue.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
This. I really despise their rigorous aggressive bag searches as well. I'm 44 years of f***ing age and not into smuggling a bottle of vodka in these days but that said I have no issue with people doing this given their prices and lousy door attitude. It puts a negative slant on your night before you have even entered the venue.

That's exactly what I did last night! I don't like doing it as I would always rather support the venue at the bar, but it seems miserly not to have one cheap shot and one cheap beer at the bar, especially when everyone's skint anyway.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed with the place. £5.10 for a glass of paintstripper posing as red wine and £4 for a can of Red Stripe. And those twats on the door.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Visited the recently restored Paganini Ballroom last night at the Ship Hotel to watch Savages. If anyone has the opportunity to watch a live act there I would strongly recommend it just for the location itself. The acoustics were spot on which is always a concern with somewhere that is not purpose built and it was easy to see the bands. First up were Pins an all girl group who are similar in many ways to Savages. Not seem them before-think they have done a few support slots around the country. Pretty good though.
This was the fourth time I have seen Savages and this was them at their very best. Confidence has clearly grown and I am starting to get familiar with tracks played. Audience were on good behaviour too- no talking and so polite that it was not until three quarters through the set that anyone noticed/mentioned that the band were playing in semi darkness without lighting. Not that this distracted in any way from an enjoyable set.
Only criticism is a limited range of drinks on sale at the temporary bar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed with the place. £5.10 for a glass of paintstripper posing as red wine and £4 for a can of Red Stripe. And those twats on the door.

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm 44 and I really object to being searched all over for booze; I do not believe for one minute it is for drugs or weapons etc.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I remember the good old days of Panda Pops. These bottles were small and plastic and could be stuck down your sock fairly comfortably. Used to empty half the coke out and top up with whiskey. No bouncer ever knew. Now I drink sensibly and happy to have passed on this tip to my own kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here