Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Music over the next three months.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Lots going on in the Brighton area up to the end of the year and I am always interested in peoples musical tastes. Anyone planning to see any live acts? So far I am watching Toy on 27th Oct Coalition, Savages 8th November at Ship Hotel, The Fall 4th Dec at Old Market Hove and the truly magnificent British Sea Power doing a Christmas Club night on Dec 14th at The Haunt. (I am also going to watch Madness on 1st Dec but that's to appease a mate- not really my thing but after some beer I guess it could be enjoyable)

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Father John Misty at The Blind Tiger November 30th and Soil/Fozzy/Breed 77 at the Concorde beginning of December I think....although not in Brighton I will be off to see Tame Impala at the Brixton academy October 30th.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Dont know much Tame Impala but the reviews of latest offering are very good- going to have a listen some point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have tickets for Django Django at The Old Market, Rufus Wainright at The Dome and The 2 Bears at Coalition the same night and Sparks also at The Dome. I'm thinking of going to see The Dot which is Mike Skinner's new project with that, now bald, fella from The Music. I'm really liking The XX's new album but missed out on tickets so I will try and see if I can work/sort something out for this.

I'm currently listening to Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti's new long player; nice for a Sunday afternoon.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sunday 14th the one and only Wilko Johnson is at the Komedia. The following week Joanne Shaw Taylor is at the Haunt. Two gooduns for the Blues fans.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have tickets for Django Django at The Old Market, Rufus Wainright at The Dome and The 2 Bears at Coalition the same night and Sparks also at The Dome. I'm thinking of going to see The Dot which is Mike Skinner's new project with that, now bald, fella from The Music. I'm really liking The XX's new album but missed out on tickets so I will try and see if I can work/sort something out for this.

I'm currently listening to Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti's new long player; nice for a Sunday afternoon.

Missed out on Django Django as I did when they played Great Escape. A friend of mine keeps asking me to go along to Sparks but not sure I could name more than one of their songs and that's the well known one!
How are you getting on with the demise of Rounder? Was in the area yesterday and feels such a loss still.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Missed out on Django Django as I did when they played Great Escape. A friend of mine keeps asking me to go along to Sparks but not sure I could name more than one of their songs and that's the well known one!
How are you getting on with the demise of Rounder? Was in the area yesterday and feels such a loss still.

Good question. I was away for the the summer so it's demise has only impacted on me, in a buying sense, this past few weeks. I joined their mailing list and whilst it's very good and informative it shows their primary love is Americana tinged offerings. That said they had the new Ricarda Villalobos long player. They don't seem to have the new 2 Bears mixCD though. What I liked about Rounder is Steve and Johnny had similar tastes to me and I trusted their judgement and recommendations; I'm a little lost without them and I'm not sure Resident can fill the gap to be honest. Maybe I have had it too good and I need to re-adjust and dig around myself instead of having it handed on a plate by Rounder. I don't want to do Resident a disservice though as when I was in there last Sat they were very helpful and found everything on my list for me. I probably need to figure out which member of their staff is most aligned with my tastes and develop a relationship. I will prob pop down later as I want the new Flying Lotus and Brian Eno albums and The XX vinyl edition of Coexist looks too good to sit in the shop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

They were great at TGE. I knew nothing about them at the time but was very impressed.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Again, not Brighton, but Grizzly Bear are playing the Brixton Academy on the 22nd, that new album of theirs is t'riffic. Gutted not to be going to Django Django.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Again, not Brighton, but Grizzly Bear are playing the Brixton Academy on the 22nd, that new album of theirs is t'riffic. Gutted not to be going to Django Django.

I bought Grizzly Bear during my Resident splurge. Looking foward to listening to it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That XX vinyl is really attracting me too, though I bought the cd.

Catching Azealia Banks this week at Concorde and have lined up Nine Black Alps at Green Door Store in a couple of weeks.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Good question. I was away for the the summer so it's demise has only impacted on me, in a buying sense, this past few weeks. I joined their mailing list and whilst it's very good and informative it shows their primary love is Americana tinged offerings. That said they had the new Ricarda Villalobos long player. They don't seem to have the new 2 Bears mixCD though. What I liked about Rounder is Steve and Johnny had similar tastes to me and I trusted their judgement and recommendations; I'm a little lost without them and I'm not sure Resident can fill the gap to be honest. Maybe I have had it too good and I need to re-adjust and dig around myself instead of having it handed on a plate by Rounder. I don't want to do Resident a disservice though as when I was in there last Sat they were very helpful and found everything on my list for me. I probably need to figure out which member of their staff is most aligned with my tastes and develop a relationship. I will prob pop down later as I want the new Flying Lotus and Brian Eno albums and The XX vinyl edition of Coexist looks too good to sit in the shop.

I can see that Rounder going has has a real effect on you. Not been so bad for me but I did buy many tickets from them. They were in fact huge fans and champions of British Sea Power selling their early stuff and attending many of the Seapower club nights. I like Resident because they like the sort of stuff I do but they seem to cover most genres looking in store and on the website. They have expanded their vinyl section which is a good thing and sell tickets for live stuff.
Not sure if this is the 2 Bears mix you are after but this looks good.
various artists - 2 bears 1 love - resident

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The irrisistable Tim Rogers at the Fly by Night in Freo this Friday coming, Black Keys at Joondalup Areana next month then a walk down memory lane with Primal Scream at The Astor (maybe 700 capacity, hell yeah) in December and Weezer at the new surreal Perth Arena in Januray playing a greatest hist set followed by the Blue Album - that's all for now in little old Perth.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Last night - Ultraista at The Haunt
10 Oct - Bo Ningen - GDS
13 Oct - Micachu - Coalition
20 Oct - Acid Mothers Temple - Blind Tiger
26 Oct - Cold Pumas - Westhill Hall
29 Oct - Djano Django - Old Market
30 Oct - 80's Matchbox B LIne Disaster - Concorde
4 Nov - Alt J - Concorde
6 Nov - Spiritualized - Corn Exchange
10 Nov - Lotus Plaza - Electrowerkz
15 Nov - Swans - Koko
16 Nov - f***ed Up - Coalition
23 Nov - Machinedrum
4 Dec- The Fall - Old Market
14 December - Krankenhaus - Haunt

On another note the last 2 Friday's at the Green Door Store have been spectacular (Negative Pegasus album launch last week & Echo Lake/Blanck Mass this week) TOTALLY FREE!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Grizzly Bear is great.

I recommend Toy as a good debut album

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Last night - Ultraista at The Haunt
10 Oct - Bo Ningen - GDS
13 Oct - Micachu - Coalition
20 Oct - Acid Mothers Temple - Blind Tiger
26 Oct - Cold Pumas - Westhill Hall
29 Oct - Djano Django - Old Market
30 Oct - 80's Matchbox B LIne Disaster - Concorde
4 Nov - Alt J - Concorde
6 Nov - Spiritualized - Corn Exchange
10 Nov - Lotus Plaza - Electrowerkz
15 Nov - Swans - Koko
16 Nov - f***ed Up - Coalition
23 Nov - Machinedrum
4 Dec- The Fall - Old Market
14 December - Krankenhaus - Haunt

On another note the last 2 Friday's at the Green Door Store have been spectacular (Negative Pegasus album launch last week & Echo Lake/Blanck Mass this week) TOTALLY FREE!

Good stuff there. I am considering f***ed Up. I think I saw Negative Pegasus as they supported Future of The Left in June at Haunt- arrived as they were finishing though.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I bought Grizzly Bear during my Resident splurge. Looking foward to listening to it.

The one thing I will say, is give the album time. Their first album proper (with all current members), Yellow House is massively critically acclaimed, but the hardest to really get into. The second, Veckatimest was a lot more commercial, Shields is somewhere inbetween.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here