Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Chris had to go. End of. However, for most of his tenure, he was fantastic... that last 6 months tho'... appalling results and appalling performances.

There is no way Chris will get anything other than a near-relegation Prem club job. I just cannot see West Ham being interested... Chris' ethos totally opposed to theirs, and they think they are a big club...

Did he not work for the Dildo brothers once before at Brum ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I did have a chuckle at Albion fans being referred to as THEM on an Albion forum :smile:

As an aside, pleased to see you still posting on here, I really enjoy your take on all things Albion and CH :thumbsup:

LOL - I enjoy the folk on this forum for the most part. A lot of really intelligent and engaging people. Not just the football but on other subjects. It's one of the best football forums I have seen.

When I used the term '' them '' - It wasn't referencing everyone on here it was only pertaining to the few had posts above that which which were already, starting to throw the ''negativity around about West Ham's fans being opposed to his potential appointment. There isn't even a job available at West Ham ATM.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Chris had to go. End of. However, for most of his tenure, he was fantastic... that last 6 months tho'... appalling results and appalling performances.

There is no way Chris will get anything other than a near-relegation Prem club job. I just cannot see West Ham being interested... Chris' ethos totally opposed to theirs, and they think they are a big club...

To be fair, what we didn't know, and still don't know with Hughton, was whether it was his or the players fault for the poor run of form. It may have been both of course.

Our problem last season was the decision making and quality in the final third because we made enough chances to avoid losses and draws. Unfortunately we are still having exactly the same problem this season, even with a different style, so we have to question the quality of the players rather than Hughton as they are struggling to play Potter's football too.

West Ham were tipped for a top half finish and on paper they have a stronger squad of players than we have, and it could be safe to say that with better players it is easier to manage a team and get results.

I would love to see Hughton get the West Ham job just to see if he was limited by the squad he had here because it seems like Potter is too and needs a few transfer windows himself for the transition.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
To be fair, what we didn't know, and still don't know with Hughton, was whether it was his or the players fault for the poor run of form. It may have been both of course.

Our problem last season was the decision making and quality in the final third because we made enough chances to avoid losses and draws. Unfortunately we are still having exactly the same problem this season, even with a different style, so we have to question the quality of the players rather than Hughton as they are struggling to play Potter's football too.

West Ham were tipped for a top half finish and on paper they have a stronger squad of players than we have, and it could be safe to say that with better players it is easier to manage a team and get results.

I would love to see Hughton get the West Ham job just to see if he was limited by the squad he had here because it seems like Potter is too and needs a few transfer windows himself for the transition.

It can take 3-4 years to build up a squad capable of competing in the PL - expecting miracles in the first couple of seasons is daft - the objective is and should be just to survive. Even then, unless you are spending at least £100million a year on players you are racing just to stand still. There is always the odd exception - Leicester for example - but they have spent over £100million every year for the past 4 years (including getting Evans for £3.5million) along with already having Schemichel and Vardy and having Chilwell, Barnes and Choudhury coming though the youth team - and being very good at signing the right players.

I think people would be surprised with what Hughton could do with this West Ham squad - it is comparable with what he had at Newcastle - and would be surprised with the football they would play once he got the defence sorted.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't see Chris wanting to go to WH, proper toxic club

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It can take 3-4 years to build up a squad capable of competing in the PL - expecting miracles in the first couple of seasons is daft - the objective is and should be just to survive. Even then, unless you are spending at least £100million a year on players you are racing just to stand still. There is always the odd exception - Leicester for example - but they have spent over £100million every year for the past 4 years (including getting Evans for £3.5million) along with already having Schemichel and Vardy and having Chilwell, Barnes and Choudhury coming though the youth team - and being very good at signing the right players.

I think people would be surprised with what Hughton could do with this West Ham squad - it is comparable with what he had at Newcastle - and would be surprised with the football they would play once he got the defence sorted.

It would certainly be very interesting. I hope he’s offered it and takes it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

First buy would have to be a keeper - they are properly fooked as long as Roberto is playing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
First buy would have to be a keeper - they are properly fooked as long as Roberto is playing.

Wouldn't be surprised - if Hughton took over at West Ham - to see Caoimhín Kelleher coming in on loan from Liverpool - another possibility would be Rob Elliot from Newcastle.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

First thing I have really disagreed with you on.

I am not too sure that the West Ham Squad is so great. I haven't really watched them enough to know how good their players actually are but it seems that there might be a few issues with the ''application'' of some of their squad. Yes I would be positive he could sort that but there would be a few you would need to take out of the squad completely to bring ''harmony'' to the ranks and time wouldn't be on his side at a Club like West Ham.

That said - There isn't a job there yet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ricky Forrest [MENTION=18269]RICK[/MENTION]whufc
·
7m
Replying to [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tHamMatters
Absolutely sport on if we hire Houghton I will be absolutely fuming, I’d rather keep Pellegrini shows absolutely no ambition from the club if that’s the case.
Brighton sacked him...and got better!

From Twitter - glad to see the wrong spelling is already underway too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
ricky forrest [mention=18269]rick[/mention]whufc
·
7m
replying to [mention=3791]wes[/mention]thammatters
absolutely sport on if we hire houghton i will be absolutely fuming, i’d rather keep pellegrini shows absolutely no ambition from the club if that’s the case.

from twitter - glad to see the wrong spelling is already underway too.

:D.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ricky Forrest [MENTION=18269]RICK[/MENTION]whufc
·
7m
Replying to [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tHamMatters
Absolutely sport on if we hire Houghton I will be absolutely fuming, I’d rather keep Pellegrini shows absolutely no ambition from the club if that’s the case.

From Twitter - glad to see the wrong spelling is already underway too.

Nice to see the perceived wisdom that we “got too arrogant and deserved to go down after sacking the lovely man Hughton” gubbins has turned around at least.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't even argue with them on this one Buddy

Newcastle fans didn't want him initially either and he won them over by winning the Championship - He came up to PL and Battered Villa 6-1 : Then he battered Sunderland 5-0 and still got sacked. Newcastle haven't beaten Sunderland once since Chris left and that is one of the biggest bones of contention up in the North East with all the Newcastle Managers who have followed Chris - So whether West Ham fans want Chris or not, it is not up to them. And to be honest there isn't even a job available at West Ham as things stand currently.

There are some on here who support Chris and others will never see our point of view because they don't have the same close connections as we do and that is absolutely fine.

I really don't give a damn about your 'close' connections with CH but I would respectfully suggest that it is those 'close' connections that blinker your view of what was happening. My judgement is based on what I see on the pitch. We were dire for most of last season and Bloom had to make a judgement call as to whether it was likely to improve or if we were going to continue spiralling down and end up back in the championship. I think Bloom made the right call, as tough as it was for Hughton to take (as well as his friends on here and in the national media!!).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Agreed. Chris is a great man, but assuming Potter keeps us up (and all signs are pointing to that right now) it’s hard to argue that Tony made the right call in making the change.

Slightly baffled anyone could see it differently tbh.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Agreed. Chris is a great man, but assuming Potter keeps us up (and all signs are pointing to that right now) it’s hard to argue that Tony made the right call in making the change.

Slightly baffled anyone could see it differently tbh.

Potter has to keep Brighton up for two seasons before it could be argued that Bloom made the right choice - the second season is always the most difficult season for a manager in the PL (assuming their are not relegated after the first one).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Potter has to keep Brighton up for two seasons before it could be argued that Bloom made the right choice - the second season is always the most difficult season for a manager in the PL (assuming their are not relegated after the first one).

You genuinely don’t see the improvements Potter has made since taking over? The progressive football style, the kids coming through (Connolly and Alzate)? None of that?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not sure I agree with your analysis. We had the fewest amount of shots on target (108) in the Premier League last season and were second bottom on total shots (371). We also missed 23 big chances, the least amount of any club. That might be good if it meant we had taken all the other big chances but again, apart from the bottom three, we scored the least goals suggesting there weren't many big chances in the first place!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here