Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I agree with you - and not alone are they stupid - most are assholes as well.

Hughton may take a Championship job at some point - but he would be looking for certain guarantees about what the approach of the club was and the money available. Hughton clearly thought he found that in Brighton - to the point that a couple of days before he was sacked he was in discussions with the ownership about transfer targets. Clearly the club had made moves for Potter while Hughton was still working his ass off - in my view they did not treat him particularly well.

That's your opinion, but mine would be you're talking out of your ass :thumbsup:
Chris Hughton will always be revered as an Albion legend, despite the dire football we were playing towards the end of his tenure.
Things had to change, which they did.
This is small fry in comparison to Poch leaving Spuds, are you that naive to think Levy didn't already have Mourinho in mind to take over???

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's your opinion, but mine would be you're talking out of your ass :thumbsup:
Chris Hughton will always be revered as an Albion legend, despite the dire football we were playing towards the end of his tenure.
This is small fry in comparison to Poch leaving Spuds, are you that naive to think Levy didn't already have Mourinho in mind to take over???

Well put.

Reality sometimes goes over people's heads!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This in large, red, capital letters. Very sensible post.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The 'attacking football' of West Ham is more from the period of the 1970s - and really hasn't existed since Trevor Brooking retired in 1984 - it has been more aspirational than reality for a long time.

Once again - this is an oft repeated mistaken assumption about Hughton - his teams play to the strength of the players at his disposal. The West Ham squad is more talented than the Brighton squad of last season - and while his first job would be to fix a defence that has conceded 9 goals in the last 3 games - he would have a lot to work with at West Ham.

Hughton has connections with West Ham so it does make sense. Benitez is also being mentioned - but he is being paid £12million a year in China and West Ham would have to buy out the contract.

Possibly - but I doubt it would be £20mil.

alright chris....... and thanks for what you've done.......

you bellend

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
CA5FDDD6-EE54-4F72-99E0-91D14BE40966.jpeg

If Chris Hughton gets the job, he'll have all the locals pointing at his suit in confusion, as to what this new type of smart clothing is to hit the east end.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Only one PL job has come up since he was sacked, and that was filled by Jose Mourhino with 24 hours of the Spurs Manager being sacked. And JRG is correct. He has turned down many jobs since being sacked by Brighton and we are edging close to double figures now. Your opinion on Chris is your own and you are entitled to it but it is not shared by other Clubs when they come to looking for a new Manager.

the only way our chris will manage a prem team again is if he gets them promoted

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
In your opinion - and just like you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. You don't sack a guy who has succeeded in keeping your club in the PL for two seasons on a shoestring. If things were the same by the end of September as they were towards then end of the season then there would be justification (and I am sure Hughton would recognise that fact)

Two managers have been sacked in the PL since the start of the season - Garcia at Watford after they lost their first 3 games of the season and were in freefall He was replaced with a previous manager who had done a decent job while he was there - and Watford haven't improved much and will probably be relegated. The second team was Spurs - who hired Mourinho (big mistake) - and apparently he wasn't even first choice, Ancelotti was but was going to cost too much. Hughton was a coach / assistant manager at Spurs for 14 years under 11 different managers, including two stints as caretaker manager, only to get dumped as part of a complete cleanout when Jol was sacked - plenty of burnt bridges there - but Spurs are one of the teams in the PL that think you have to get the likes of the 'Special One' to win anything.

Several other opportunities will arise and Hughton will be in the frame - Everton and West Ham are the obvious ones at the moment (although Moyes is rumoured to be returning to Everton and you could see why). The other likely club looking for a manager in the near future is Newcastle - and that definitely won't happen with Hughton.

So - your claim does not stand up to scrutiny - it would be different if a half a dozen jobs had existed and he wasn't considered for any - by all accounts he was offered at least five jobs in the Championship and turned them down (WBA, Cardiff, Millwall, Sheff Wed, Stoke)

His recent legacy is never having been relegated and getting two clubs promoted (and a third into the play-offs). The 'dour style' was directly the result of a lack of quality in the squad - and team owners are smart enough to realise this, noting that despite this fact he kept the club in the PL. At the end of the day the results don't lie - Brighton stayed up and Cardiff went down because of the results they got.

Hughton time in the PL is one of the longest of all managers - the average lifespan of the PL manager is 91 games (and Ferguson and Wenger skew that number completely) - Hughton has 155 games. Only 85 managers have managed 2 teams in the Pl (out of 220) - when it goes to 3 teams the number drops to 29 (and most of those are in the early years of the PL - very few in recent times).

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

you couldn't be more selective with you stats if you tried? ...........

could you chris?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Do you seriously expect Hughton to remotely consider the Newcastle job given the way he was treated by Ashley when he was sacked and the sh*t-show that passes for a club up there?

As for Chelsea - they didn't sack their manager - he left to take over Juve - and the club hired Lampard to appease the fans after a revolving door at manager (Lampard is their 7th manager in 10 years).

This season two clubs have sacked their manager - and I have gone through that above.

If you call maintaining PL status things going 'pear-shaped' then fair enough - I would suggest 'pear-shaped' would be getting relegated. The guy took the club from the bottom of the Championship to two seasons in the PL - he deserved an opportunity to see what he could have done this season with £60-70million for players and a couple of the kids coming through.

The only thing that a manager cannot control is when he is going to be sacked - most of the time it is deserved - occasionally it is not.

why?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Chris Hughton is a legend. A very classy man and manager, a real gent.

But things were unravelling here last season. You did get the sense that Chris was slightly out of ideas towards the end.

Although I’d be delighted for him personally if he got the West Ham job, I really think their fans would have a real problem with his style of football. It would get nasty.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I agree with you - and not alone are they stupid - most are assholes as well.

Hughton may take a Championship job at some point - but he would be looking for certain guarantees about what the approach of the club was and the money available. Hughton clearly thought he found that in Brighton - to the point that a couple of days before he was sacked he was in discussions with the ownership about transfer targets. Clearly the club had made moves for Potter while Hughton was still working his ass off - in my view they did not treat him particularly well.

:ffsparr::ffsparr::ffsparr:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what [MENTION=1272]bhafc99[/MENTION] is saying, but I thought it was a light-hearted post, based on a couple of oft-used phrases by CH while he was in charge of the Albion, but with an East London, 'Cockerney boy' "Up the Apples and Pears"-type generalisation thrown in :shrug:

I don't think ANY Brighton fan is of any doubt of how much CH achieved at the club while he was there and how much we are indebted to him for a) getting the club to the PL and b) keeping us up for two seasons.

You're completely right. Thanks for the support. :thumbsup:

I was taken aback when people had a go at me; I was just taking CH's much-loved "These are a good team" phrase and suggesting that adding a bit of West 'Am cockney geezer effing and jeffing would help him fit in with the set-up there.

Not having a go at what Hughton did for the Albion at all. :shrug:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looking on Twitter, the West Ham fans don’t seem very pleased about Hughton, they seem to want Allegri or Benítez as a short term stop gap.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You're completely right. Thanks for the support. :thumbsup:

I was taken aback when people had a go at me; I was just taking CH's much-loved "These are a good team" phrase and suggesting that adding a bit of West 'Am cockney geezer effing and jeffing would help him fit in with the set-up there.

Not having a go at what Hughton did for the Albion at all. :shrug:

No worries. I thought that was the case and can't believe more people didn't twig. I guess sometimes it's difficult to convey a message over social media though...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Chris had to go. End of. However, for most of his tenure, he was fantastic... that last 6 months tho'... appalling results and appalling performances.

There is no way Chris will get anything other than a near-relegation Prem club job. I just cannot see West Ham being interested... Chris' ethos totally opposed to theirs, and they think they are a big club...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
CH had plenty of chances to give youth a chance but chose not to. Some of the football he served up at the end of last season was some of the worst I have seen in over 40 years of watching he Albion. The only reason we weren’t relegated was Cardiff’s implosion.

Couldn't one say without Hughton's wise guidance the Albion would never have been in a position in the first place to outlast Cardiff even though they imploded. Why weren't Cardiff above the Albion before Cardiff imploded?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Looking on Twitter, the West Ham fans don’t seem very pleased about Hughton, they seem to want Allegri or Benítez as a short term stop gap.

Allegri will likely go to Arsenal - Benitez has a 3 year / £12million a year contract in China, he is going to cost a lot of money for West Ham to buy out the contract (and incidentally, in an interview last week he said his next 'project' would be at the end of the contract).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Allegri will likely go to Arsenal - Benitez has a 3 year / £12million a year contract in China, he is going to cost a lot of money for West Ham to buy out the contract (and incidentally, in an interview last week he said his next 'project' would be at the end of the contract).

Hughton would certainly be a cheap option for West Ham. But having had a sniff around what their fans are saying online, its fair to say that as an appointment, he'd be about as welcome as Prince Andrew at a slumber party.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I wouldn't even argue with them on this one Buddy

Newcastle fans didn't want him initially either and he won them over by winning the Championship - He came up to PL and Battered Villa 6-1 : Then he battered Sunderland 5-0 and still got sacked. Newcastle haven't beaten Sunderland once since Chris left and that is one of the biggest bones of contention up in the North East with all the Newcastle Managers who have followed Chris - So whether West Ham fans want Chris or not, it is not up to them. And to be honest there isn't even a job available at West Ham as things stand currently.

There are some on here who support Chris and others will never see our point of view because they don't have the same close connections as we do and that is absolutely fine.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't even argue with them on this one Buddy.

I did have a chuckle at Albion fans being referred to as THEM on an Albion forum :smile:

As an aside, pleased to see you still posting on here, I really enjoy your take on all things Albion and CH :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here