Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Not sure he’s a West Ham style manager but given the players at this level, who knows. I wish him the best though and will be chuffed for him if he got a job that big.

I can only see Chris being a short term option for them - like they did with Moyes not too long a go. Essentially getting in a manager who knows the league, how to set teams up to avoid defeat, who will cost little money and that they can avoid having to give a large transfer kitty to. With the aim of seeing how things are at the end of the season when they can hopefully look to recruit the manager they want long term.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can only see Chris being a short term option for them - like they did with Moyes not too long a go. Essentially getting in a manager who knows the league, how to set teams up to avoid defeat, who will cost little money and that they can avoid having to give a large transfer kitty to. With the aim of seeing how things are at the end of the season when they can hopefully look to recruit the manager they want long term.

Could work for both in those circumstances? It will give CH the chance to prove he was badly treated by poor recruitment should he feel he was.

D

Deleted member 2719

The biggest mismatch of all time if they took Chris on.

The fans would be going mental after half a dozen matches.

They would spit him out in bubbles.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not sure he’s a West Ham style manager but given the players at this level, who knows. I wish him the best though and will be chuffed for him if he got a job that big.

Absolutely this. I know that the Ammers & Chris have a history, but is his dour defence based style of football what their fans want to see? I seriously doubt it.

I reckon that West Ham, along with Manchester United, and possibly Spurs, are the three teams who have been known for their attacking brand of football, for about as long as l can remember.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I was thinking CH to Hammers myself when saw their result yesterday - he grew up in that part of London - Gold will be a fan of his I expect

First signing CH would make for them in January would be Duffy for £20m would be my guess

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be brutally honest, I can't see club owners and chairmen in the Premier League ever giving Chris a chance.
I feel that the last half of last season has seriously damaged his reputation and no one wants to even think about playing that brand of football.
His stock in trade is to bring teams up from the lower leagues and then move on to a similar circumstance, not a bad career considering bonuses available.
Know your capabilities.

I don't think the Newcastle fans were complaining about the style of football when he was unfairly sacked. Could be that he will be more expansive if he feels the players are good enough against the opposition.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Except that in the period Jan to May Chris was abysmal last season. I think if West Ham appointed him now they'd be in a relegation dogfight for the rest of the season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was thinking CH to Hammers myself when saw their result yesterday - he grew up in that part of London - Gold will be a fan of his I expect

First signing CH would make for them in January would be Duffy for £20m would be my guess

I was watching Big Shane yesterday and thinking he is the epitome of a Chris Hughton player, big strong, tireless, and would run through a brick wall for the right sort of manager.

Easy to see though why he will never be the first name on a Graham Potter teamsheet, he is just not mobile or quick enough, and not happy with the ball at his feet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Slightly disrespectful. Considering. Where Brighton were when he became Manager to where they were when he left

Yes, agreed. Chris improved this club in every way in all of his term here with the exception of about the last six months.

The issue, though, is that a lot of that six month meltdown was due to paying too much respect to other sides. It's a measure of the man that he is respectful but that won't work with West Ham's entitled fans and Mark "teams like Brighton" Noble. And, the first thing he'll have to do is shore up that awful defence. It's what they need but not what their fans will want.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I reckon that West Ham, along with Manchester United, and possibly Spurs, are the three teams who have been known for their attacking brand of football, for about as long as l can remember.

The 'attacking football' of West Ham is more from the period of the 1970s - and really hasn't existed since Trevor Brooking retired in 1984 - it has been more aspirational than reality for a long time.

Absolutely this. I know that the Ammers & Chris have a history, but is his dour defence based style of football what their fans want to see? I seriously doubt it.
Once again - this is an oft repeated mistaken assumption about Hughton - his teams play to the strength of the players at his disposal. The West Ham squad is more talented than the Brighton squad of last season - and while his first job would be to fix a defence that has conceded 9 goals in the last 3 games - he would have a lot to work with at West Ham.

Hughton has connections with West Ham so it does make sense. Benitez is also being mentioned - but he is being paid £12million a year in China and West Ham would have to buy out the contract.

Possibly - but I doubt it would be £20mil.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I can't say I associate West Ham with an attacking brand of football. I associate their fans with demanding an attacking brand of football, no doubt, but their club? nah. They only seem to be successful when they appoint someone like Allardyce

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We played some fantastic football under Chris in the Championship in those two full seasons after he joined, so it would be unkind to label him as a purely negative defensive coach. But unfortunately, I think the fearful style of football he instilled in those latter 6 months has without a doubt blotted his copybook with regard to prospective employers now.

I can see him perhaps getting appointed as a firefighter at a PL club that is bang in trouble with half a season or less to go. One that needs the defence shoring up pronto, with a view to grinding a way back to safety. But he's not going to be viewed as a particularly progressive coach to appoint at this level for the long term, so I can't see him getting the gig at West Ham, even if they bin off Pellegrini soon.

I think he's more likely to be handed a job at an underachieving Championship club. Derby, or Boro. Somewhere like that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Slightly disrespectful. Considering. Where Brighton were when he became Manager to where they were when he left

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what [MENTION=1272]bhafc99[/MENTION] is saying, but I thought it was a light-hearted post, based on a couple of oft-used phrases by CH while he was in charge of the Albion, but with an East London, 'Cockerney boy' "Up the Apples and Pears"-type generalisation thrown in :shrug:

I don't think ANY Brighton fan is of any doubt of how much CH achieved at the club while he was there and how much we are indebted to him for a) getting the club to the PL and b) keeping us up for two seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here