Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what [MENTION=1272]bhafc99[/MENTION] is saying, but I thought it was a light-hearted post, based on a couple of oft-used phrases by CH while he was in charge of the Albion, but with an East London, 'Cockerney boy' "Up the Apples and Pears"-type generalisation thrown in :shrug:

I don't think ANY Brighton fan is of any doubt of how much CH achieved at the club while he was there and how much we are indebted to him for a) getting the club to the PL and b) keeping us up for two seasons.

I know he was. Normally I would have ignored it but sometimes these comments bug me and sometimes I just let them ''whoosh'' over my head

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think he's more likely to be handed a job at an underachieving Championship club. Derby, or Boro. Somewhere like that.

Hughton has been offered several jobs in the Championship and has turned them down.

He's 60 years old and been there and done that - getting clubs into the PL, keeping them there on a shoestring, and getting dumped when it was not warranted (particularly the case at Newcastle). I doubt he wants to go through the process again - spending 3/4 years at a club, getting them promoted, keeping them in the PL as they build a squad - and then getting the boot just when he has built the foundation.

I cannot see him taking any job outside the PL - he will want to go into a place where there is an existing squad to work with, money available and an opportunity to get 2/3 to prove he can build up the club. The only exception would be the Ireland job - and that will likely only become available if Stephen Kenny makes a bags of it early on (and Kenny has a host of very promising young players coming through) - and I would give him the Irish job any day ahead of any other candidate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hughton has been offered several jobs in the Championship and has turned them down.

He's 60 years old and been there and done that - getting clubs into the PL, keeping them there on a shoestring, and getting dumped when it was not warranted (particularly the case at Newcastle). I doubt he wants to go through the process again - spending 3/4 years at a club, getting them promoted, keeping them in the PL as they build a squad - and then getting the boot just when he has built the foundation.

I cannot see him taking any job outside the PL - he will want to go into a place where there is an existing squad to work with, money available and an opportunity to get 2/3 to prove he can build up the club. The only exception would be the Ireland job - and that will likely only become available if Stephen Kenny makes a bags of it early on (and Kenny has a host of very promising young players coming through) - and I would give him the Irish job any day ahead of any other candidate.

Fancy that, CH's personal cheer leader turns up. His sacking by BHA was warranted, in my opinion, and I would respectfully suggest, in the opinion of many others. He won't get a job in the prem. As you have said, he has had offers from the championship but you mention none from the premier league. His recent legacy is the dour style we adopted last season and most clubs will look at that and say that we didn't save ourselves, Cardiff blew it.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know he was. Normally I would have ignored it but sometimes these comments bug me and sometimes I just let them ''whoosh'' over my head

I'd see it as a compliment, of sorts. The guy is still a legend in the eyes of the majority of Albion fans, so a little gentle piss-taking is partly a sign of respect, in a weird kinda way.

That's how I see it, when I occasionally do it. Certainly no offence intended to the man, or anyone else...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There can be no understating what CH achieved with us he was immense but other than a Watford, looking certs for relegation, I cannot think that many chairmen will be looking at him to take their club forward. In Watfords case it is a question of survival, which he could achieve. I think that he is more likely to go to an under achieving Championship side like Middlesbro or even Reading if their owners have ambition.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Fancy that, CH's personal cheer leader turns up. His sacking by BHA was warranted, in my opinion, and I would respectfully suggest, in the opinion of many others. He won't get a job in the prem. As you have said, he has had offers from the championship but you mention none from the premier league. His recent legacy is the dour style we adopted last season and most clubs will look at that and say that we didn't save ourselves, Cardiff blew it.

Only one PL job has come up since he was sacked, and that was filled by Jose Mourhino with 24 hours of the Spurs Manager being sacked. And JRG is correct. He has turned down many jobs since being sacked by Brighton and we are edging close to double figures now. Your opinion on Chris is your own and you are entitled to it but it is not shared by other Clubs when they come to looking for a new Manager.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Chris Hughtons face wouldn't fit TBH, given the previous wrinkled faced hobos they've had.
The creased face look started with Avram Grant, Fat Sam, Bilic, Moyes and now Pellegrini.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Fancy that, CH's personal cheer leader turns up. His sacking by BHA was warranted, in my opinion, and I would respectfully suggest, in the opinion of many others.
In your opinion - and just like you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. You don't sack a guy who has succeeded in keeping your club in the PL for two seasons on a shoestring. If things were the same by the end of September as they were towards then end of the season then there would be justification (and I am sure Hughton would recognise that fact)

He won't get a job in the prem. As you have said, he has had offers from the championship but you mention none from the premier league.
Two managers have been sacked in the PL since the start of the season - Garcia at Watford after they lost their first 3 games of the season and were in freefall He was replaced with a previous manager who had done a decent job while he was there - and Watford haven't improved much and will probably be relegated. The second team was Spurs - who hired Mourinho (big mistake) - and apparently he wasn't even first choice, Ancelotti was but was going to cost too much. Hughton was a coach / assistant manager at Spurs for 14 years under 11 different managers, including two stints as caretaker manager, only to get dumped as part of a complete cleanout when Jol was sacked - plenty of burnt bridges there - but Spurs are one of the teams in the PL that think you have to get the likes of the 'Special One' to win anything.

Several other opportunities will arise and Hughton will be in the frame - Everton and West Ham are the obvious ones at the moment (although Moyes is rumoured to be returning to Everton and you could see why). The other likely club looking for a manager in the near future is Newcastle - and that definitely won't happen with Hughton.

So - your claim does not stand up to scrutiny - it would be different if a half a dozen jobs had existed and he wasn't considered for any - by all accounts he was offered at least five jobs in the Championship and turned them down (WBA, Cardiff, Millwall, Sheff Wed, Stoke)

His recent legacy is the dour style we adopted last season and most clubs will look at that and say that we didn't save ourselves, Cardiff blew it.
His recent legacy is never having been relegated and getting two clubs promoted (and a third into the play-offs). The 'dour style' was directly the result of a lack of quality in the squad - and team owners are smart enough to realise this, noting that despite this fact he kept the club in the PL. At the end of the day the results don't lie - Brighton stayed up and Cardiff went down because of the results they got.

Hughton time in the PL is one of the longest of all managers - the average lifespan of the PL manager is 91 games (and Ferguson and Wenger skew that number completely) - Hughton has 155 games. Only 85 managers have managed 2 teams in the Pl (out of 220) - when it goes to 3 teams the number drops to 29 (and most of those are in the early years of the PL - very few in recent times).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Only one PL job has come up since he was sacked, and that was filled by Jose Mourhino with 24 hours of the Spurs Manager being sacked. And JRG is correct. He has turned down many jobs since being sacked by Brighton and we are edging close to double figures now. Your opinion on Chris is your own and you are entitled to it but it is not shared by other Clubs when they come to looking for a new Manager.

I never said he hadn't turned down any jobs but as JRG said, they were in the championship. Since his sacking Newcastle, Chelsea, Watford and Tottenham have changed managers!

My view of CH is that he is an honorable human being, served us extremely well but that it went pear shaped. I'm sure many others agree (although probably not you and JRG). He will remain a legend for the club but like some before him, eg Mullery, Adams and Gritt, to name a few, it doesn't stay rosey for ever.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think Premier League chairmen are stupid*, or at least overly influenced by media and the short term demands of their fans. I think it's more likely that Hughton eventually takes a decent Championship job, you know, Forest, Fulham, Bristol City, that sort of thing

*In case you're thinking of saying they are all billionaires so they can't be stupid, very few are self made.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In your opinion - and just like you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. You don't sack a guy who has succeeded in keeping your club in the PL for two seasons on a shoestring. If things were the same by the end of September as they were towards then end of the season then there would be justification (and I am sure Hughton would recognise that fact)

Two managers have been sacked in the PL since the start of the season - Garcia at Watford after they lost their first 3 games of the season and were in freefall He was replaced with a previous manager who had done a decent job while he was there - and Watford haven't improved much and will probably be relegated. The second team was Spurs - who hired Mourinho (big mistake) - and apparently he wasn't even first choice, Ancelotti was but was going to cost too much. Hughton was a coach / assistant manager at Spurs for 14 years under 11 different managers, including two stints as caretaker manager, only to get dumped as part of a complete cleanout when Jol was sacked - plenty of burnt bridges there - but Spurs are one of the teams in the PL that think you have to get the likes of the 'Special One' to win anything.

Several other opportunities will arise and Hughton will be in the frame - Everton and West Ham are the obvious ones at the moment (although Moyes is rumoured to be returning to Everton and you could see why). The other likely club looking for a manager in the near future is Newcastle - and that definitely won't happen with Hughton.Well that's your opinion, I don't think any PL club will employ him. The only exception to this would be if a team can see they are on their way down and think he might be a good fit to get them back up again.

So - your claim does not stand up to scrutiny - it would be different if a half a dozen jobs had existed and he wasn't considered for any - by all accounts he was offered at least five jobs in the Championship and turned them down (WBA, Cardiff, Millwall, Sheff Wed, Stoke)
How does my claim not stand up to scrutiny? He hasn't been offered any PL jobs or are you disputing that?

His recent legacy is never having been relegated and getting two clubs promoted (and a third into the play-offs). The 'dour style' was directly the result of a lack of quality in the squad - and team owners are smart enough to realise this, noting that despite this fact he kept the club in the PL. At the end of the day the results don't lie - Brighton stayed up and Cardiff went down because of the results they got.
You see it as that, I see it as the style of play, the predictable substitutions, the lack of plan B, He missed out on relegation with Norwich only because they sacked him. He got very lucky last season with Cardiff failing to capitalise on some good wins at the end of the season. However, I agree the stats show he has not been relegated but that is only part of the story

Hughton time in the PL is one of the longest of all managers - the average lifespan of the PL manager is 91 games (and Ferguson and Wenger skew that number completely) - Hughton has 155 games. Only 85 managers have managed 2 teams in the Pl (out of 220) - when it goes to 3 teams the number drops to 29 (and most of those are in the early years of the PL - very few in recent times).
Not sure that is relevant. Pulis has managed in the prem for more games. Would you want him as manager?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I never said he hadn't turned down any jobs but as JRG said, they were in the championship. Since his sacking Newcastle, Chelsea, Watford and Tottenham have changed managers!
Do you seriously expect Hughton to remotely consider the Newcastle job given the way he was treated by Ashley when he was sacked and the sh*t-show that passes for a club up there?

As for Chelsea - they didn't sack their manager - he left to take over Juve - and the club hired Lampard to appease the fans after a revolving door at manager (Lampard is their 7th manager in 10 years).

This season two clubs have sacked their manager - and I have gone through that above.

My view of CH is that he is an honorable human being, served us extremely well but that it went pear shaped. I'm sure many others agree (although probably not you and JRG).
If you call maintaining PL status things going 'pear-shaped' then fair enough - I would suggest 'pear-shaped' would be getting relegated. The guy took the club from the bottom of the Championship to two seasons in the PL - he deserved an opportunity to see what he could have done this season with £60-70million for players and a couple of the kids coming through.

He will remain a legend for the club but like some before him, eg Mullery, Adams and Gritt, to name a few, it doesn't stay rosey for ever.
The only thing that a manager cannot control is when he is going to be sacked - most of the time it is deserved - occasionally it is not.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Not sure that is relevant. Pulis has managed in the prem for more games. Would you want him as manager?

So has Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez, - what is the point you are trying to make?

I am pointing out that Hughton is well up the list of PL managers in terms of longevity - and given the nature of the PL longevity is success.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think Premier League chairmen are stupid*, or at least overly influenced by media and the short term demands of their fans. I think it's more likely that Hughton eventually takes a decent Championship job, you know, Forest, Fulham, Bristol City, that sort of thing

*In case you're thinking of saying they are all billionaires so they can't be stupid, very few are self made.

I agree with you - and not alone are they stupid - most are assholes as well.

Hughton may take a Championship job at some point - but he would be looking for certain guarantees about what the approach of the club was and the money available. Hughton clearly thought he found that in Brighton - to the point that a couple of days before he was sacked he was in discussions with the ownership about transfer targets. Clearly the club had made moves for Potter while Hughton was still working his ass off - in my view they did not treat him particularly well.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This season two clubs have sacked their manager - and I have gone through that above.

You don't even need to Justify the Watford position - They have a ''Foreign Manager Policy'' and every Manager within the game knows about it.

No British Manager of any standing would ever go there now anyhow as the lifespan of a manager averages about 8 months there, in the last 10 years

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You don't even need to Justify the Watford position - They have a ''Foreign Manager Policy'' and every Manager within the game knows about it.

No British Manager of any standing would ever go there now anyhow as the lifespan of a manager averages about 8 months there, in the last 10 years

Hopefully that will end up costing them this season

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do you seriously expect Hughton to remotely consider the Newcastle job given the way he was treated by Ashley when he was sacked and the sh*t-show that passes for a club up there?

I never said he would take it (he wasn't considered anyway by all accounts), I was just pointing out that there have been 4 managerial changes since he was sacked, not 1 as someone else alluded to.

As for Chelsea - they didn't sack their manager - he left to take over Juve - and the club hired Lampard to appease the fans after a revolving door at manager (Lampard is their 7th manager in 10 years). Jumped or pushed, it's open to interpretation.

Never disputed that. However, there were still 4 managerial vacancies from the time he was sacked or are you disputing that?

If you call maintaining PL status things going 'pear-shaped' then fair enough - I would suggest 'pear-shaped' would be getting relegated. The guy took the club from the bottom of the Championship to two seasons in the PL - he deserved an opportunity to see what he could have done this season with £60-70million for players and a couple of the kids coming through.
I do, playing dire football is not what I pay to see. As for budgets, he had Locadia and Andone but never wanted to play them because he relied heavily on his tried and tested championship team. You obviously don't care what is served up in front of you as long as it's in the PL

The only thing that a manager cannot control is when he is going to be sacked - most of the time it is deserved - occasionally it is not.

I don't know who you are but it seems clear to me you are a Chris Hughton fan and not a Brighton one. You only joined after he came here and I believe you have previously admitted to being interested in all things Irish and CH was one of your very favourite players of all time. I'd be interested to see how many actual games you went to under his tenure?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The answer is No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

As for Chelsea - they didn't sack their manager - he left to take over Juve - and the club hired Lampard to appease the fans after a revolving door at manager (Lampard is their 7th manager in 10 years).

CH had plenty of chances to give youth a chance but chose not to. Some of the football he served up at the end of last season was some of the worst I have seen in over 40 years of watching he Albion. The only reason we weren’t relegated was Cardiff’s implosion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here