Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I really don't give a damn about your 'close' connections with CH but I would respectfully suggest that it is those 'close' connections that blinker your view of what was happening. My judgement is based on what I see on the pitch. We were dire for most of last season and Bloom had to make a judgement call as to whether it was likely to improve or if we were going to continue spiralling down and end up back in the championship. I think Bloom made the right call, as tough as it was for Hughton to take (as well as his friends on here and in the national media!!).

Bloom certainly had a big decision to make ...... one that a lot of us would almost certainly have delayed for a while. Through loyalty ? Doesn’t matter.. The debate will be open till March/April..... we’ll all decide then for sure.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Potter has to keep Brighton up for two seasons before it could be argued that Bloom made the right choice - the second season is always the most difficult season for a manager in the PL (assuming their are not relegated after the first one).

Absolute bolleaux. You cannot in any way make that assertion. For a start, the division is again stronger. Secondly, players have come in and left our club. Thirdly, did you watch the absolutely dire football we played for about half of last season? Most importantly, why are you failing to consider the downward trend in results under your beloved Chris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You genuinely don’t see the improvements Potter has made since taking over? The progressive football style, the kids coming through (Connolly and Alzate)? None of that?

He/she is blinkered beyond belief

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Of course there is improvement - and a couple of the kids have come through - we have still to see the long-term impact of Potter. But as I have argued before, there likely would also have been improvements and the kids coming through if Hughton was still here.

Getting three players who each cost more than any player signed by Hughton, plus having a couple of the kids mature - will improve the squad no matter what way you look at it.

Hughton failed to give youth a chance. That is yet another reason he got sacked. There is zero evidence he would have been brave enough to play AC or SA.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A simplistic approach - and something that the likes of twitter amplifies.

Hughton did what he could with the squad at his disposal - and he kept Brighton in the PL.

Hughton is highly regarded in footballing circles - he has a proven pedigree - and clubs, knowing how difficult it is to get a club promoted and then keep them in the PL for two seasons, understand his achievements.

So where are all his PL job offers then? Oh dear...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He has done that twice already (and got a third to the play-offs in his only season with them) - and then consolidated both clubs in the PL - only to be sacked.

I am sure we will - the problem is that there is an assumption that continues to be perpetrated, that if he was still manager, his team this year (with 5 new players in the squad) would have played the same as last season - instead of like when Brighton were in the Championship or when he was at Newcastle. It is a false assumption.

He had 4 PL windows to improve the squad with roughly the same budget that was spent this summer. Don’t talk nonsense.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will never happen. You need to be more balanced in your view of what job Chris can get. Any PL suitor would amaze me TBH.

I imagine you’re right and I’m not suggesting he’d get it, just that it would be interesting to see how he approached games once he got the defence sorted. Personally think he gave too much respect to every other team we played in the PL. even when we won it was based around everyone behind the ball once we were in front in 9 out 10 games. We are being told by JRG and to a lesser degree NooBHA that he would play differently if he had the players Potter now has. I don’t think he would which is why I think it’d be interesting to see what he’d do at WHU who have better players than us.

I wish him all the best in his search for a PL job too, why wouldn’t I?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm a massive fan of CH and find it difficult to understand why any brighton fan would have any kind of axe to grind against him.

I also disagree with posters who seem to think he can only play defensive football.
Seemingly forgetting our promotion season. We did not go up because of our dour defensive football.
I'm told he was also playing attacking football with Newcastle in the Prem.

I do how ever agree that the last 6 months with us will count against him should the West Ham job come up.
I believe it will have tainted his reputation with clubs with aspirations other than lets just stay up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm a massive fan of CH and find it difficult to understand why any brighton fan would have any kind of axe to grind against him.

I also disagree with posters who seem to think he can only play defensive football.
Seemingly forgetting our promotion season. We did not go up because of our dour defensive football.
I'm told he was also playing attacking football with Newcastle in the Prem.

All of this. Our Championship seasons under Hughton were an absolute joy, and in my top few Albion seasons ever.

I do how ever agree that the last 6 months with us will count against him should the West Ham job come up.

I believe it will have tainted his reputation with clubs with aspirations other than lets just stay up.

I don't know if that is the case or not.

He should certainly be on the short list of progressive Championship sides looking to get out of the division in the right direction, but I'm. not sure I see him as Big Sam mk II, coming in to rescue sides that look destined for the drop.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
El Pivote
@elpivoteftbl
·
9h
Replying to
@owenparkes123
Seen someone mention Chris Hughton somewhere do me a favour Brighton players couldnt wait to get that boring arse out the club

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I were CH I'd crawl over broken glass to get the West Ham job.

The Hammers are the easiest club, in world football, to become a living legend.
All you need to do is:-

- Be an architect.
- Be a civil engineer.
- Transform The London Stadium into Upton Park.
- Only play 'The West Ham Way'.
- Have some idea what the f**k that even means.
- Then win the World Cup.

After that you'll have an easy 6 months before the fans are demanding your sacking.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The last few home games of last season v Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton teams that were around us fighting for survival and we have 5 shots on target in total. We only won one of those against Huddersfield who were already down, made Bournemouth look like Barcelona, Cardiff and Southampton like top 6 side. I don't believe he kept us up, it was Palace beating Cardiff that sent them down instead of us.

Sorry but going into those games with an attitude of don't concede is the reason I believe he deserves to be sacked.
Yep have a listen to TB’s podcast he wanted to sack him after Bmouth but felt the Cardiff game was to close.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep have a listen to TB’s podcast he wanted to sack him after Bmouth

So did I but TB is a hard nosed businessman who didn’t want a caretaker manager and harsh though it seemed straight after the CIty game, he got it spot on.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Errr... the manager is ultimately responsible. He correctly got the chop. Get over it.

What do you mean get over it? Calm down, I was surprised that he was sacked but wasn't shocked and welcomed a new style of football like Bournemouth.

Apart from that we had to find out if it was our squad that was poor or Hughton was poor, and it is interesting that our signings like Locadia and Andone went out on loan, Ali has not been used yet, and others like Bong being dropped from the squad and Schelotto not making the starting 11, demonstrates that we were punching above our weight because Potter hasn't shown himself to be impressed by them either.

Our problem last season was decision making in the final third, and this season we have the same problem with decision making in the final third and we are on roughly the same points as we were last season. I am sure that after a few transfer windows we will start to see the gain with Potter, but currently with the players Hughton and Potter have had to work with they are neck and neck at this stage of the season.

So we have two different managers having exactly the same problem, meaning that the quality of our players is the problem, not the managers, even though as you say Hughton carried the can.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
El Pivote
@elpivoteftbl
·
9h
Replying to
@owenparkes123
Seen someone mention Chris Hughton somewhere do me a favour Brighton players couldnt wait to get that boring arse out the club

Brighton players were all to happy to have him there when he turned them into Premier League footballers though.

Some peoples, (players and fans), memories can be so short.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton players were all to happy to have him there when he turned them into Premier League footballers though.

Some peoples, (players and fans), memories can be so short.

I can’t help thinking that CH lost the players and the fans over those disastrous three home games but got them back onside (well all except Murray :wink:) for the Spurs and Arsenal games. Who knows though :shrug:

I’m sure I saw a quote from Bruno around the time saying that CH needed to listen to the players.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The last few home games of last season v Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton teams that were around us fighting for survival and we have 5 shots on target in total. We only won one of those against Huddersfield who were already down, made Bournemouth look like Barcelona, Cardiff and Southampton like top 6 side. I don't believe he kept us up, it was Palace beating Cardiff that sent them down instead of us.

Sorry but going into those games with an attitude of don't concede is the reason I believe he deserves to be sacked.

Of course Hughton kept Brighton in the PL - the table doesn't lie - picking one game out of 380 games and suggesting that that one game determined the outcome of the season is nonsense.

Was the football dire - yes it was - was there a lack of goalscoring opportunities - yes their were - was the objective to stay in the PL - yes it was - did Hughton succeed - yes he did.

The Brighton squad last season was primed for relegation - it had the third lowest pay bill in the PL (Southampton who finished just above Brighton had 11 players on more money than the highest paid Brighton player). Hughton did a remarkable job keeping the club in the PL for two seasons and build a solid foundation that the club is now benefiting from.

Absolute bolleaux. You cannot in any way make that assertion. For a start, the division is again stronger. Secondly, players have come in and left our club. Thirdly, did you watch the absolutely dire football we played for about half of last season? Most importantly, why are you failing to consider the downward trend in results under your beloved Chris?
It is debatable whether the PL is stronger this season that last - Liverpool and Leicester certainly are - not so much the rest. Quite a few teams have gone backwards (which has benefited Brighton.) Even taking that it is a stronger division - I have repeatedly argued that you have to run to stand still in the PL.

You are correct that some players came in and some left - again - that happens every year - are you suggesting that the Brighton squad isn't as strong as last season?

In the summer transfer window Arsenal, Aston Villa, Everton, Leicester, Man C, Man U and West Ham spent more than Brighton - Wolves and Spurs spent roughly the same - the other 10 teams spent less than Brighton (some spent practically nothing e.g. Norwich, Liverpool and Palace).

Was there 'dire football' in the second half of last season - yes - was there a downward trend in results - yes - do you seriously think that if Hughton played a more expansive brand of football that the results would have been better?

For promoted teams that survive the first season, the second season is nearly always a nightmare - first season up teams don't know what to expect (Sheff Utd - although the wheels could still come off there) - second season teams know you, you squad is still a work in progress and very easily these teams slip into relegation trouble. In the last 6 seasons between 2013-2018 in the PL out of the 15 teams that were promoted - 9 were relegated in either their first or second season in the PL (Cardiff and Hull went up and down twice) - the 6 who survived are Leicester, Burnley (got relegated and promoted again), Bournemouth, Watford, Palace and Brighton - If Wolves survive this season (which they probably will) then they will make it 7 out of 18 clubs (with Norwich likely to go down and Villa struggling all season).

Hughton knew what was going on - he had been through this before at Norwich - he knew what was needed to survive (Norwich panicked and sacked him) - and he succeeded in the objective of keeping the club in the PL. Would he have liked to play a more expansive brand of football like Brighton played in the Championship - bet your a*se he would - as a player he was a very stylish footballer who played in that type of a team at Spurs with the likes of Hoddle, Ardiles, Ricky Villa, Perryman, Gareth Crooks, Mabbutt, Clive Allen, Nayim and Linekar. However, the squad last season (and the season before) were bottom three - and Hughton acted in a way to ensure that with the players at his disposal he kept the team in the PL.

What he would have done if he had remained Brighton manager this season we will never know - but with £70million to spend and a couple of kids coming through I suspect that you would not have seen the same defensive football as last season. And by the way - someone mentioned earlier that Brighton have conceded the same number of goals as at this stage last season - but despite the passing game of Potter, Brighton have only scored one more goal than last season (and 9 of the 15 scored came in 3 games).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can’t help thinking that CH lost the players and the fans over those disastrous three home games but got them back onside (well all except Murray :wink:) for the Spurs and Arsenal games. Who knows though :shrug:

I’m sure I saw a quote from Bruno around the time saying that CH needed to listen to the players.

I don't doubt what you say, and yes, the time was probably right for a change, but there are people on here, (you aren't one of them), who only look at last season, and conveniently disregard or forget, how good he was for our club over several seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here