Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 18 Albion staff to lose jobs.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I understand that and I remember at the time on here there was a little thing below your username as to whether you wanted Falmer or not. I had 'yes' under mine. Little did I know the grief there would be surrounding driving to a match there! Anyway, it's not a problem for me now I suppose. :smile:

Slightly OT but since you brought it up, the struggle we had to firstly locate a suitable a site in an affluent area bordered by the Sea and an AONB was huge and essentially it was Falmer or slowly die at Withdean

Then the battle to secure planning after two public enquires, is well documented in the history of this club.

Given this unique situation, one of the trade offs for what we have now is the no parking restrictions. I appreciate its not ideal particularly for away fans but given we have 3 park and ride sites (only one of which is regulary full) and several car parks, one of which is available to away fans, several local buses and a train station practically on site, I would say that the club have done everything they possibly could, don't you?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't think the stewards would be club employees, they're presumably just temps doing shift work. If the club doesn't want them they can just stop giving them shifts, no issue there. It the club comes out and says "we're getting rid of 18 people" then that would mean salaried employees with pensions and everything, i.e. at a far higher level than stewards.

Also it's worth saying regarding player wages, the thing that drives this cost up is competition among other clubs, so I expect it will take a few years (one the timescale of a typical contract length) for the FFP to actually have a negative effect on the player wages. The first club of 20 that starts playing hardball with agents will suffer badly in the transfer market. It will be a very slow process.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Why don't they sack the hoards of stewards delegating into bennets field on a match day, must pass at least 5 directing around about 100 metres

I've thought for a while now that we have too many stewards at the stadium and surrounding area.
Can anyone tell me why there is the need for two stewards to ask supporters not to walk over the footbridge across the A27 outside the Swan? This is a public right of way! Why are there up to four stewards at times loitering around the Farm Store at the junction of Park Street and Falmer Road seemingly doing nothing?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Any details on the actual jobs?

According to the Argus the club are looking for voluntary redundancies (at least to start with). If true, then, unlike Mothers' do 'ave 'em, you can't say "I'm looking for voluneers - you, you and you".... about the most you can do is say, for example, "we're looking for 2 out of accounts, 3 out of marketing", or whatever...

Then you have to assess the volunteers (if any) and decide what you're going to do...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I told you this last week.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We have been saying for ages that the AMEX is overstaffed. Ken Brown ****ed up big time in the early stages. You used to drive to the AMEX on a non match day and be greeted by 20 stewards. No stadium in the country has that. Barber realised this early on and got rid of a lot of that meet and greet crap on a non match day, he is now obviously dealing with some of the slush that is less visible to us. Just hope he doesn't cull the ticket staff because they are credit to the club with the way they smooth the ticket purchasing process.

I very much agree with the last part of this post. The Albion Ticket Office for me, receive an awful lot of unjustified flak. In nearly thirty years of watching the Club, and having had literally hundreds of dealings with them, they have always acted in a very professional manner, and in ninety odd percent of cases I have obtained exactly what I wanted. I very much hope that their number isn't reduced in this cost cutting process.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have been told by someone who job was on the line but now is safe, that the ticket office is going to be dealt with a call centre away from the ground.

Other jobs that are going are people who work in the club shop and reduced hours expected for part timers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here