Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 18 Albion staff to lose jobs.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
This is the bit I struggle with. You see very average players with very nice life styles and flash cars, agents getting thousands for **** all and regular bods being laid off. Why don't we lay off some of crap in the first team squad as well?

This has also affected the players. El-hab was offered a 1 year contract on the same money....

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Awful news for the people losing their jobs, but I actually trust Barber. He's a good businessman who's trying to make the club successfull long-term.

Barber was brought in by Bloom to steady the ship. Has some difficult decisions to make, it's not a popularity contest.

Too many punters have short memories and forget just how close the Albion has been to oblivion in the past. The losses cannot be sustained. We are all feeling the squeeze created by the ambitions of the Chairman, the understandable expectations of the fans all while fighting to take control of our financial losses and realities of life within FFP. We all hope for a couple of decent player signings ahead of the new season but where is the money to come from?

If we cannot live within our means on 30k crowds and 25k STHs then goodness knows what life will be like for many Clubs less well heeled than us and probably even worse for those who are being artificially propped up by parachute payments who somehow are getting an unfair advantage.

Unfortunately we just missed the Premiership boat and all that dosh. Almost overnight we found ourselves in turmoil on and off the pitch. Just goes to show the margin between success and relative failure. But for the width of Speroni's crossbar we might have been reading different headlines about Gus announcing a raft of marquee signings ahead of a season in the Prem., instead it is redundancies.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
after seeing that list of employees was clear there were areas that could be trimmed.

Could save up to 500k so right move

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is really unfortunate that we moved into the Amex with a completely unprepared and inexperienced group of (in terms of managing size of an operation) people in charge of operations that seem to have let costs and expenditure spiral out of control. Although I understand we were meant to have a lot of Bloom's financial advisers and possible some high level Amex staff now on our board. I'm glad we have someone like Barber in charge now at an operations level.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Barber was brought in by Bloom to steady the ship. Has some difficult decisions to make, it's not a popularity contest.

Too many punters have short memories and forget just how close the Albion has been to oblivion in the past. The losses cannot be sustained. We are all feeling the squeeze created by the ambitions of the Chairman, the understandable expectations of the fans all while fighting to take control of our financial losses and realities of life within FFP. We all hope for a couple of decent player signings ahead of the new season but where is the money to come from?

If we cannot live within our means on 30k crowds and 25k STHs then goodness knows what life will be like for many Clubs less well heeled than us and probably even worse for those who are being artificially propped up by parachute payments who somehow are getting an unfair advantage.

Unfortunately we just missed the Premiership boat and all that dosh. Almost overnight we found ourselves in turmoil on and off the pitch. Just goes to show the margin between success and relative failure. But for the width of Speroni's crossbar we might have been reading different headlines about Gus announcing a raft of marquee signings ahead of a season in the Prem., instead it is redundancies.

Nicely summed up.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Sad, but inevitable. It's not just happening in football, but across all industries. People are bloody expensive and it's easy for large employers to acquire more of them than they really need. The occasional reality check is necessary, painful as that is for those caught in the firing line.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Sad to see anyone lose their jobs but I reckon your staff costs on matchdays must be huge. Driving to Amex for the first time 2 seasons ago, trying to find a parking space near the ground (yes, we all know now there aren't any, 30,000 stadium? Good planning? Different arguement I suppose) anyway, every corner you turn there were stewards there and this is miles away from the ground. These all have to be paid for. There must be 100's of them and that's not including those actually stewarding at the ground?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
has the hallmark of creating organisational efficiencies more than direct savings - expect a lot to be saved on stewarding next season

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Slightly off topic, but I like how there are a million stewards directing the steady flow of traffic into the car parks before the match (God knows how I'd find my way in otherwise) and just 2 (if we're lucky) directing the masses of cars out after the game.

Admittedly not what this thread is about but this, this, this and this!
makes my blood boil - a total waste of the club's money and hours of my time!

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Sad to see anyone lose their jobs but I reckon your staff costs on matchdays must be huge. Driving to Amex for the first time 2 seasons ago, trying to find a parking space near the ground (yes, we all know now there aren't any, 30,000 stadium? Good planning? Different arguement I suppose) anyway, every corner you turn there were stewards there and this is miles away from the ground. These all have to be paid for. There must be 100's of them and that's not including those actually stewarding at the ground?

I spoke to an ex-steward who said he was employed from 10:00am in the morning on a Saturday match day....who needs stewards at that time?
Hope the club are looking at this type of cream off.....
Can't find any after the match....

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill

The very reason the club has to waste money on these stewards is people like yourself ignoring the parking restrictions.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
What the hell are you doing on here. Some of you people up the road are obsessed with our club, if you like us so much get a season ticket.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What the hell are you doing on here. Some of you people up the road are obsessed with our club, if you like us so much get a season ticket.

Leave him alone, it is interesting to hear a different perspective and what he says is right, we all know that we have too many stewards outside the ground, it's been obvious from day one at the AMEX.

I would add to that there are way too many staff in 1901. I don't need someone to open the door for me and another person to say hello. Complete waste of money.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It is worth noting that the number of stewards particularly to control parking is required to be agreed as part of one of the planning conditions so the Club's hands are tied slightly to what the Council will agree is necessary in order to control movement around the Stadium.

Sussex By The Sea
Jul 21, 2011
Excuse me 1901 staff standing around, please can I get past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here