Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 18 Albion staff to lose jobs.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Well they have already got rid of the two directors ...

At least one was a resignation though.
Re club shop, I think it is overstaffed at times and could probably operate on a part time staff basis, plus an increase in on-line purchasing.
As we are now a money making operation, AITC will have to be totally self financing and absolutely any costs incurred re hiring facilities, like the Amex, will, I suspect, have to be paid for by them.
We have already seen city college effectively thrown out of the Amex because of the rent. So much for the level of support that he stadium is providing for education etc after all the carrots being dangled when AITC and City College flags were being waived to get planning permission in the first place.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How about the fact that people are paying an excessive amount to sit in the 1901 so perhaps they're more inclined to behave, rather than be ejected and have their ticket removed for a period of games?

Clearly there are not the same issues regarding standing for example.

They are required to have a certain number of stewards per head at games, so I don't suppose thy have a lot of choice.

Besides. It's not all about sorting out disputes & making people sit down. I bet they spend half of their time answering questions from people about where the toilets are and whether they can take their drinks to their seats.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They are required to have a certain number of stewards per head at games, so I don't suppose thy have a lot of choice.

Besides. It's not all about sorting out disputes & making people sit down. I bet they spend half of their time answering questions from people about where the toilets are and whether they can take their drinks to their seats.

That's what the lounge hosts are for (manned on lounge exit areas). I'm not talking about total removal just cutting down the number. You are correct in terms of the numbers though. I wrote to Paul Barber about this as mentioned above and he feels it usually takes about 3-5 years to settle down and sort itself out.

Just wish they had some in Bennetts Field when everyone is departing, inevitably there will be a disagreement (if there hasn't been already).....

Bruno

Jul 2, 2012
They aren't "lounge hosts" in 1901, they are stewards. Just because they don't have hi viz jackets on doesn't mean they aren't stewards.

Talk to them - you will find that most of them are Albion fans.

I saw an incident in 1901 at the Arsenal game where 2 STHs were shouting at each other because one had sworn excessively in front of his kids. The stewards were in there straight away, got the two guys out, spoke to them calmly at the back of the stand and sorted it out with the minimum of fuss. Neither of the stewards were wearing hi viz.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They aren't "lounge hosts" in 1901, they are stewards. Just because they don't have hi viz jackets on doesn't mean they aren't stewards.

Talk to them - you will find that most of them are Albion fans.

I saw an incident in 1901 at the Arsenal game where 2 STHs were shouting at each other because one had sworn excessively in front of his kids. The stewards were in there straight away, got the two guys out, spoke to them calmly at the back of the stand and sorted it out with the minimum of fuss. Neither of the stewards were wearing hi viz.

Fair enough, but my point remains there are too many in 1901.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
The future of football

Making these people redundant won't make a significant dent in our operating losses because as we all know the biggest expense is player wages, fuelled by agents.

Clubs will have to recognise this sooner or later and begin to live within their means, which will mean smaller squads and less big wage earners, unless they have directors/chairmen/benefactors who are prepared to foot the salaries that 'average' players consider that they are worth.

Big squads and excessive salaries don't guarantee success and anybody who doubts this only needs to look at the gutless performance of Wolverhampton who suffered consecutive relegations despite parachute payments to sustain the greed of so-called professional sportsmen.

Unfortunately while monolithic organisations like Sky continue to pump money into the Premiership this will continue and lead to the demise of many of the smaller clubs.

Evolution or survival of the fittest?

Direct Dave

Oct 26, 2011
I know a steward at the ground and at the last game of the season, 12:30pm ko, he arrived at 6-630am and said he would not be leaving until around 6-7pm. He is on approx. £10 an hour, the agency will add on prbably 20%, so £12 hour x 12 = £144 for one steward. As many have pointed out, there are hundreds of stewards so that is a lot of money on a match day.

I'm not sure if the steward you know, maybe making their job sound a little better than it actually is.
I also know a steward at the club, she informs me, normal matches will see NO extra agency stewards supplied. Agency stewards would only be used for busy games, ie the Palace game. She is pretty sure additional agency stewards can be paid up to £10 per hour and will normally work for approximately 4 - 5 hours.
The steward I know said she works for approximately 6 hours match days and is paid just over £40 per game. She informs me that this is pretty much standard for most club employed stewards who work part time on matchdays.
She also informs me that not only does she love working at the club on matchdays, helping to keep the day to run smoothly for everyone, but the little extra income is a real help.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
This week its the turn of AITC to find out who goes and who stays ,all the areas that dont make a profit will be cut ,also found out that Mr Hebberds services are no longer needed as he is not employed directly by the club.The current saftey officer will now take over his brief.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This week its the turn of AITC to find out who goes and who stays ,all the areas that dont make a profit will be cut ,also found out that Mr Hebberds services are no longer needed as he is not employed directly by the club.The current saftey officer will now take over his brief.

My understanding is the AITC is unaffected by the redundancies as its a charity organisation and therefore not part of the clubs finances /. FFP requirements.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

If Mr Hebberd is not employed directly by the club how will him leaving be a saving?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

That's tremendous news!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here