Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 18 Albion staff to lose jobs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Genuine question. Would you be happy to have ambitions of (say) finishing 14th in this division next season, or pay a bit more and go for the play-offs?

Pay less and go for the play-offs.

PS lazy question and not really related to my posts in this thread.

Genuine question. Would you be happy to have ambitions of (say) finishing 14th in this division next season, or pay a bit more and go for the play-offs?

Catch 22.

We are losing circa 8 million quid a year so need to cut costs as this is unsustainable, the biggest earners at the club are the players.

To plug the losses we NEED to get to the Premiership, to get to the Premiership we need the players to get there, they cost more.

Glad it isn't me making the decisions.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Catch 22.

We are losing circa 8 million quid a year so need to cut costs as this is unsustainable, the biggest earners at the club are the players.

To plug the losses we NEED to get to the Premiership, to get to the Premiership we need the players to get there, they cost more.

I agree, and as shown before, getting rid of 50 stewards will make a 1.5% reduction in our losses, but not even get you one player on an average salary for this division (£350,000 a year).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Catch 22.

This. Assuming that TB is prepared to fund a loss next season of, say, £7m (and that's a wild guess), I'd be looking to cut as much admin cost back as I possibly could (probably by more than £1m if I'm honest) and get as much into players' wages (assuming that cost = quality, which we know isn't always the case) to try to get us up. We were really pretty close last season - 2 decent signings might just do it....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am getting fed up with all the increases here and there if this answers your question.

What increases here and there HT ?

Just over 21 nicker a game last season, a fair increase this one with the added travel cost which was not being adaquetly covered in the match ticket last campaign. Not sure where the here and there bit comes in. Grub and beer ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You said you were being bled dry and wanted to pay less.

Why you being so wierd? This is like talking to a pedantic child. I did allude to this but you suggested I wanted more job losses. The two are not the same. All I have done is say I feel uncomfortable with the current situation in relation to player's wages. Surely you can understand this?

I agree, and as shown before, getting rid of 50 stewards will make a 1.5% reduction in our losses, but not even get you one player on an average salary for this division (£350,000 a year).

I've been saying for years "Football will eat itself" and it really is. For how long will players keep demanding wages that their employers cannot afford before the clubs start going under, properly under that is not like Pompey, Saints, Palace and various others.

Soon there will be to many players asking too much money from too little clubs, they and their agents are the architects of the downfall of these institutions.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We have lost Bridge and (probably) Upson, so 2 decent signings on top of those two are probably needed.

On the plus side, we should have CMS and Hoskins back next season.

Yep. TBH, I'm still worried about a striker. Leo was great when he was good, but he did go missing a few games. CMS likewise, and I'm worried about how many games it will take for him to get match fit. I'd feel happier if we had a striker who we could rely for 20-25 goals - is that either Leo or CMS? I have my doubts. Also, a LB, ofc. Hmmm, maybe 3 decent signings then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What increases here and there HT ?

Just over 21 nicker a game last season, a fair increase this one with the added travel cost which was not being adaquetly covered in the match ticket last campaign. Not sure where the here and there bit comes in. Grub and beer ?

For me meals, drinks and kit sponsorship. For others there's the programme, ticket increases, membership scheme will affect some, charging for mascot seems a bit tight. I appreciate the kit sponsorship is not essential but the increase was still frustrating and quite high and I will be interested to see the increase this year . This is what I meant by here and there.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Yep. TBH, I'm still worried about a striker. Leo was great when he was good, but he did go missing a few games. CMS likewise, and I'm worried about how many games it will take for him to get match fit. I'd feel happier if we had a striker who we could rely for 20-25 goals - is that either Leo or CMS? I have my doubts. Also, a LB, ofc. Hmmm, maybe 3 decent signings then?

Think a new manager playing to their strengths will get the best out of them. Playing them on their own does not work. Ulloa got his goals when he had someone playing up front with him two wingers or Barnes. Gus then decides to play him on his own in the play offs don't think that makes him a bad player. Same goes for CMS give him balls where he can use his pace not with his back to goal. I would be quite happy to start with these two and see how it goes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Since they stopped The Hophead they don't get any of my hard earned other than the match ticket so I suppose I don't notice it that much. Spend my money in pubs like Craft that deserve it.:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Since they stopped The Hophead they don't get any of my hard earned other than the match ticket so I suppose I don't notice it that much. Spend my money in pubs like Craft that deserve it.:)

At the risk of sounding like an Uber Fan, which i'm not, I do make a point of spending some money at The Amex, Tony Deserves it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
At the risk of sounding like an Uber Fan, which i'm not, I do make a point of spending some money at The Amex, Tony Deserves it.

Same here. I really don't get this reluctance to help the club in this way, it's not like the remaining beer is shit, and there are plenty of non-match days to get a 'better product' elsewhere if you so wish.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good point. I just seems wrong that supporters are being bled dry and staff are losing their jobs all so we can allow very average players to live a life of luxury beyond their wildest dreams.

On a much broader level, that's the major problem with modern day professional football at the top end. Crazy money being paid to players who do nothing to deserve it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here