Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 18 Albion staff to lose jobs.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
If anyone is to blame for spiralling costs and the 'little people' being laid off it is the players and their ever increasing wage demands.

And perhaps the fans that demand that a club ignore financial reality when building a playing squad

This applies to most clubs of course, not just Brighton

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Now thats where I went wrong ! I should have applied and made hay for a couple of years then accepted a healthy redundancy package to boot.

£40-45k pa salary doesn't sound like stewards, does it? More like middle mgt in marketing/admin/accounts type salaries....

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
£40-45k pa salary doesn't sound like stewards, does it? More like middle mgt in marketing/admin/accounts type salaries....

More than likely. In most restructuring it's the middle management that get culled as they are on a decent wage but more easily 'replaced' by merging roles and delegating responsibilities to lower paid positions.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Why don't they sack the hoards of stewards delegating into bennets field on a match day, must pass at least 5 directing around about 100 metres

I really hope the club make more of a effort employing stewards rather relying on agency's who cost the club considerable more.

As others have said I do feel for those who have lost their jobs today.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the rule is an employee costs roughly twice their salary to employ.

So 18 employees x 27k average x 2 = 1 million per year saving.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is probably something that should have happened a year ago. I'm not Barber's biggest fan, but this is very necessary stuff and I'm glad they are getting on with it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think the rule is an employee costs roughly twice their salary to employ.

So 18 employees x 27k average x 2 = 1 million per year saving.

Very rarely do they cost twice. Sales reps do (commission, cars, petrol). More typically, it's an oncost of 20-40%. some people will say that you need to factor in the cost of the area in the building that they occupy - that will add materially to the cost. However, that's a fallacy - you're not going to actually save any buildings-related cost by letting people go - you still have the actual building and still have to pay the rates and electricity etc.

I'd be very surprised if the average salary cost was less than £40k....

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
terrible news for anyone to lose their job, especially in current economic climate. the rumours I have heard over last 12-18 months or so that the clubs finances were being run in a very cavalier way where almost anything asked for was got and where contracts were over paid for with little or no hard bargaining done, does explain what Barber was brought into to do - run it like a business rather than a plaything and in that he has my total support. Whichever way look at it, losses of £8 million are unsustainable and with all the new revenue coming in from the Amex don't make much sense - from my own experience, the 1901 is a great facility and good for my business networking but the food quality is frankly shocking and grossly over priced, so much so after 2 terrible meals none of my guests have wanted or ordered food again - so that's potentially 5 meals x 21 games lost income as we now meet in a pub and get a decent meal for a reasonable price....in the overall scheme of things not a huge sum of money lost for the club but if others have had the same experience in other stands then it all adds up...if Barber and his team can get these things right across the whole club, then the revenue will go up and the losses down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If anyone is to blame for spiralling costs and the 'little people' being laid off it is the players and their ever increasing wage demands.

This is the bit I struggle with. You see very average players with very nice life styles and flash cars, agents getting thousands for **** all and regular bods being laid off. Why don't we lay off some of crap in the first team squad as well?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Awful news for the people losing their jobs, but I actually trust Barber. He's a good businessman who's trying to make the club successfull long-term.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Why don't they sack the hoards of stewards delegating into bennets field on a match day, must pass at least 5 directing around about 100 metres

Slightly off topic, but I like how there are a million stewards directing the steady flow of traffic into the car parks before the match (God knows how I'd find my way in otherwise) and just 2 (if we're lucky) directing the masses of cars out after the game.

Always likely to happen. The club may have got carried away with the new stadium and employed more people than they needed. But at least that was better than not employing enough.

Now things have all bedded down they've had a chance to review things and see where they can make savings, which is absolutely the right thing for a business to do.

But it's still tough on the people who lose their jobs, I hope they all find something new soon.

It will be interesting to see if a disgruntled whistle blower turns up, although it looks to me that the club have kept all the goings on on a strictly need to know basis. And it's a good job they have.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It is indeed bad news for the people affected - they have my sympathies.

That said, the club seem to be going about it in the most staff-focussed way they can: looking for voluntary redundancies wherever possible and giving those people enhanced severance packages along with access to outplacement services; only going for compulsories if they don't get enough voluntaries. That is a risky process for any company - you might get applications from people you'd rather not and not get applications from those you'd like to go. The risk is that you end up keeping the dead wood who think they can't get another job and lose the better people who reckon they can get another job and might as well take the enhanced severance as a type of "bonus". Doesn't always happen that way, of course, but it definitely does happen sometimes - I've seen it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Feel sorry for those involved, but it simply had to happen. We were too overstaffed and if we are saving £1 Million a year this way, then we have to do it.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Be interesting to see the list of job titles of those released. Doesn't sound like too many office juniors released but middle management.

With reference to a previous comment on stewards, I know we mock the Palace but I do think that there is a lot to be said for volunteers, it worked for the Olympics and in general volunteers have a bit more passion and customer care than some hairy arsed steward who doesn't have a care for the supporters or the club. That would save a few bob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here