[Politics] Tory party meltdown incoming (Part 2)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just how long can The BoE can support the Gilts market before further pressure is put on interest rates and the £ ? Second point is how has K/K got as Chancellor as he seems to be AWOL is it feasible that he could be gone by the end of the years with the markets forcing the issue ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Only one thing is certain.
There will still be an incredible number of people adamant that the Conservatives remain the only party to be trusted with the economy.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
A couple of years ago we didn't have a government in Sweden for about five or six months. I swear that the air was fresher, the birds were louder and the weather better during those months.

Just dissolve the parliament. No need for new election.

the belgians! they make a habit of it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Just how long can The BoE can support the Gilts market before further pressure is put on interest rates and the £ ? Second point is how has K/K got as Chancellor as he seems to be AWOL is it feasible that he could be gone by the end of the years with the markets forcing the issue ?

Up to the second odds ( Smarkets)

1.43-stays

2.62-gone

By the end of the year

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Only one thing is certain.
There will still be an incredible number of people adamant that the Conservatives remain the only party to be trusted with the economy.

That is the dismal truth..... and some of them post on here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that Conservative party members are doing a lot of the heavy lifting for this complete economic clusterf***

I am not defending them, but I don't think we would be anywhere a situation like this without the quite significant support of the electorate on both the Brexit referendum and then following it up with an 80 seat Johnson majority. But maybe a bit too close to home, so it's definitely their fault :wink:
Totally agree. Those who gave the Tories a free hand to implement a terrible Brexit rather than scrutinise the broken promises surrounding leaving the SM and CU, and to Northern Irish unionists are culpable for the current shitshow. They gave an incompetent serial liar an 80 seat majority purely because he said "get Brexit done".

I just wish it was exclusively those Johnson voters carrying the burden of several years of reckless, incompetent economic policy culminating in the laughable f##king shambles of the past week.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Unfortunately, although I share your disgust, it is perfectly acceptable in our constitution for the party of government to change its leader (and hence the PM) without going to the country. Both parties get on their high horse when the other does it, albeit the tories were the last to say it is 'wrong' for labour to give us a PM who was not 'elected' (Brown); on this and the previous occasion labour have simply demand that we have a GE because the tories are shit.

That said, if Thick Lizzy is ousted it would be unprecedented - no party of government has booted out two of its own leaders in one term of office before.

(My preference would be for the dissolution of parliament and a general election within 3 weeks. Unfortunately this won't happen).

Our ‘constitution’ is really a hodgepodge of laws and rules which works fine while everyone plays by them, but I’d argue Boris’ Trump-like qualities have shown that a lot of this needs re-looking at. A rule that a GE must happen if a party changes leaders is a sensible one, and could easily be added to our ‘constitution’. It would avoid having our PM voted in by a handful of geriatric little englanders (or indeed by a bunch of Red Flag singing leftie loons - with Starmer’s sensibleness, it’s easy to forget that not long ago the other lot saw fit to pick Corbyn as well).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Our ‘constitution’ is really a hodgepodge of laws and rules which works fine while everyone plays by them, but I’d argue Boris’ Trump-like qualities have shown that a lot of this needs re-looking at. A rule that a GE must happen if a party changes leaders is a sensible one, and could easily be added to our ‘constitution’. It would avoid having our PM voted in by a handful of geriatric little englanders (or indeed by a bunch of Red Flag singing leftie loons - with Starmer’s sensibleness, it’s easy to forget that not long ago the other lot saw fit to pick Corbyn as well).

Oh, well, yes, of course. I agree with all that.

:thumbsup:

My only point was that Thick Lizzie's party are not obligated to call a GE when they dump her in the sea.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1575208869889835008[/tweet]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The system isn't great but do you honestly think the Tory MPs would have voted out Boris if they knew that would trigger a general election just after their new leader got elected? Turkeys voting for xmas. That said, after what Truss has done to the economy I suspect we could just about tolerate Johnson for the next two years, lesser of two evils.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I never realised Ready 4 Rishi's sense of humour: he's said that he won't be attending conference, because he wants the Prime Minister to have her moment

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The Tories need a clear out. They've lost their way. Sensible old ones like Heseltine and Clarke must find the current situation disturbing. First off, kick out the ERG and ban little groovy gangs like that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Interesting range of people being blamed, other than Truss and Kwarteng's budget, for the run on the Pound.

Dan Hannan - "The pound isn’t crashing over a trifling batch of tax cuts. It’s because the markets are terrified of Starmer."
John Redwood - The Bank of England.
Crispin Odey - Remainers.
Kwasi Kwarteng - City traders. To be fair, this is technically true, but you can't bang on about deregulation and free markets, and then complain when these guys do what they do.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Tories need a clear out. They've lost their way. Sensible old ones like Heseltine and Clarke must find the current situation disturbing. First off, kick out the ERG and ban little groovy gangs like that.

I think the problem is that the party has shifted to far to the right and the decent number of Tory MPs are in the minority. If they had a backbone they side with decency in a vote of no confidence and we'd have an election!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports