Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party meltdown incoming (Part 2)

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The system isn't great but do you honestly think the Tory MPs would have voted out Boris if they knew that would trigger a general election just after their new leader got elected? Turkeys voting for xmas. That said, after what Truss has done to the economy I suspect we could just about tolerate Johnson for the next two years, lesser of two evils.

No.
We couldn’t.
Weren’t you welcoming Truss as the new PM?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not only do we have the traditional greedy Tory's in charge, we now have thick, greedy, Tory's in charge.

It has been a well known practice in the Conservative party for years that all documents must be "Truss proofed". As in, simplified enough that the daft cow can understand them. And now she is in charge.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting range of people being blamed, other than Truss and Kwarteng's budget, for the run on the Pound.

Dan Hannan - "The pound isn’t crashing over a trifling batch of tax cuts. It’s because the markets are terrified of Starmer."
John Redwood - The Bank of England.
Crispin Odey - Remainers.
Kwasi Kwarteng - City traders. To be fair, this is technically true, but you can't bang on about deregulation and free markets, and then complain when these guys do what they do.

And they are all wrong!

It’s Jeremy bloody Corbyn. The Tories promised us political chaos and huge debt with a magic money tree with him in charge. Well, if he hadn’t have put those ideas into Tory heads, perhaps they wouldn’t have enacted them!

What a shit that man is!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1575522731101245440[/tweet]

[tweet]1575526882853810192[/tweet]

Mid Sussex returns a Labour MP on that swing, BTW.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don't follow all threads/posts, but I'd be very surprised if your final point is correct and, more broadly, I think you've misread the post you're responding to.

With respect, I responded first to 'I suspect we could just about tolerate Johnson for the next two years, lesser of two evils' by saying no we couldn't.... because I do not think it would be 'the lesser of two evils'

Regards 'Weren’t you welcoming Truss as the new PM?'....I wasn't sure which is why it was a question and not a 'point'.....

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

That is truly remarkable

Even after the last 7 years, I really find it hard to believe that after last week there's still 21% who have decided Truss/Kwarteng, that's definitely who I want running the country for the next 5 years :shootself

I'd actually assumed that the few posts on NSC currently supporting them were just wind-up accounts who didn't actually bother to vote (like one admitted a few days ago and will probably give the thumbs up to this) :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Only if they change the rules - a new Tory leader can't be challenged for 12 months under existing rules.

The rules for the 1922 committee for their leaders seem to change more often than the opinions of even our most fickle of fans, and basically seem to be "we'll change it to whatever best suits us today".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Only if they change the rules - a new Tory leader can't be challenged for 12 months under existing rules.

This may not be true ... or it may be.

What is weird is that no-one seems to know. Here's the Mirror writing about it

"But it is thought that under current rules, Liz Truss would be safe from a no-confidence vote for a year - even if letters hit the threshold of 54 that would normally trigger one. The backbench 1922 Committee grants a one-year grace period to leaders who survive a challenge. A source suggested this also applies to new leaders for a year after they take office."

The Mirror is not atypical: this is the way that it's been covered. It seems strange that something as basic as this is not clear from the outset. I'm not even sure that the 1922 Committee knows

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

"But it is thought that under current rules, Liz Truss would be safe from a no-confidence vote for a year - even if letters hit the threshold of 54 that would normally trigger one. The backbench 1922 Committee grants a one-year grace period to leaders who survive a challenge. A source suggested this also applies to new leaders for a year after they take office."

The Mirror is not atypical: this is the way that it's been covered. It seems strange that something as basic as this is not clear from the outset. I'm not even sure that the 1922 Committee knows

I can't be bothered to research further than this tweet which cites Graham Brady as confirming it...

[tweet]1574815174057496579[/tweet]

I fully concede it's largely a moot point though, as they will just change whatever rules exist to suit.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't be bothered to research further than this tweet which cites Graham Brady as confirming it...

I fully concede it's largely a moot point though, as they will just change whatever rules exist to suit.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that ... reports I'd read said that it was unclear

But, as you say, I imagine that if enough MPs send letters in, that rule will mysteriously disappear

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

There are other ways around 1922 rules, as the predecessor found out.
I did say back when Johnson was PM that they wouldn't get away with the changing leader approach again. I was wrong then, but think it applies even more now. They're stuck with her until the next election -- Johnson was removed by mass Cabinet resignations, but doubt that can be done again so soon, and Truss' Cabinet is packed with even more loyalists. The parliamentary party might vote against them and, if it's a budget (rather than a 'fiscal event'), this is effectively a vote of no-confidence in the government. Beyond that, the (parliamentary) party's only option is to try and force an earlier election than May/Dec 24 in the hope that less damage is visited on the party.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rejoice. All you first time buyers, if you are on £30k a year - get to London now !

[tweet]1575493522265759744[/tweet]

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There are other ways around 1922 rules, as the predecessor found out.
I did say back when Johnson was PM that they wouldn't get away with the changing leader approach again. I was wrong then, but think it applies even more now. They're stuck with her until the next election -- Johnson was removed by mass Cabinet resignations, but doubt that can be done again so soon, and Truss' Cabinet is packed with even more loyalists. The parliamentary party might vote against them and, if it's a budget (rather than a 'fiscal event'), this is effectively a vote of no-confidence in the government. Beyond that, the (parliamentary) party's only option is to try and force an earlier election than May/Dec 24 in the hope that less damage is visited on the party.

I think the only way out is for a Sunak - May -led grouping to join the opposition in a vote of no confidence - indeed, a vote against the budget would count - out of concern for the damage being done to the country and economy. That would be utterly extraordinary and completely gripping if it came to pass, and would put a fitting ribbon on the clusterf*ck of the last seven years of Tory rule since the coalition ended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here