Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party meltdown incoming (Part 2)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Boris back in charge before Christmas?

Surely it would be a new one instead?

Boris Johnson was the best politician in the Tory party, or they wouldn't have picked him right? But he made an oopsie so they had to go with the second best, this Truss alien. Who is the third best? Would be interesting to see the politicial decisions of someone who is considered just not quite as competent as Boris and Liz.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone think it is the right time for another Tory party leadership contest? :thumbsup:

An interesting question - normally I'd say no BUT at the moment our choices are a. a Tory leadership contest that hopefully would return a sane PM or b. More financial fvck ups by the most incompetent government in history. As it stands I'd go fo option A.

What really needs to happen is a law passing that says if a party ousts it's leader who is the PM then a GE is automatically called.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Simple question from a slightly cynical 50 something, whose voted for every major party BTW, is the situation being made far worse by the hourly updated shit storm in the media?

I saw Russell Brand on YouTube the other day questioning if we were actually taking ourselves into recession?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Genuine question - would we have been better off with Sunak being PM?

I am not clued up enough to have a meaningful input, but I doubt he would have gone down the road we are currently in

Starmer does not inspire me in any way but I would be interested to see how he does as PM. he is talking the talk let's find out if he also does the walk. A GE sounds like the best solution to me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Elect a new Tory leader by all means but that MUST be followed by an immediate GE.

No, disagree - this leaves us with yet more months without effective leadership. If they decide they need a new leader, the election should happen immediately.

Dec 29, 2011
Simple question from a slightly cynical 50 something, whose voted for every major party BTW, is the situation being made far worse by the hourly updated shit storm in the media?

I saw Russell Brand on YouTube the other day questioning if we were actually taking ourselves into recession?

No. Anyone with a good understanding of economics can corroborate what a truly dire position our economy is currently in. Russel Brand is not a person with a good understanding of economics.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

simple question with a simply answer- no

the media have to report it- I wouldn't call it a "shit storm"

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Raises an interesting point. Clearly the old Tory toffs in the shires can't be trusted to elect a leader - and PM - who is competent and, well, sane. Are we really going to allow the same bunch of senile old duffers to elect our next PM? This madness has to stop.

Elect a new Tory leader by all means but that MUST be followed by an immediate GE.

Not disagreeing. I see the membership voters consisting of many; Mile Oakers, Hangletonians, Essex Boys and Girls, and many other Brexiteer types. UK 🇬🇧
The Hove Deep Sea Angler's type.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, disagree - this leaves us with yet more months without effective leadership. If they decide they need a new leader, the election should happen immediately.

Please could you point me towards the current 'effective leadership' ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely it would be a new one instead?

Boris Johnson was the best politician in the Tory party, or they wouldn't have picked him right? But he made an oopsie so they had to go with the second best, this Truss alien. Who is the third best? Would be interesting to see the politicial decisions of someone who is considered just not quite as competent as Boris and Liz.

It didn't work like this at all. Boris may well have been the best politician (if by that you mean the most popular with the tory party membership - best=popular), but the MPs finally realized that he was a terrible politician (in terms of his ability to make appropriate decisions and, indeed, tell the truth, act like he gave a shit, etc.). The MPs booted out Johnson, not the party members.

The majority of tory MPs wanted Sunak as leader, but unfortunately for them the final vote on the last 2 candidates is made by the party membership, blue rinse grannies and red faced grand dads. The membership selected Lizzie because she reminds them of Thatcher, and because Sunak is a bit foreign.

So we are already well below third best. If the membership had a free vote, now, they would overwhelmingly resurrect Johnson. They love him like lots of Russians still love Putin.

That's not a bad analogy in fact; a majority of rank and file tory members appear to be similar in instinct and constancy to rank and file, ordinary Joe, Russians; dazzled by charisma (with a deal of nostalgia and wishful thinking to paper over any devotional cracks).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i like to put the boot into media, in this situation no. we're already heading for recession anyway, while facing double digit inflation, largely out of our politicans control due to global economics. into this maelstrom Kwarteng has tossed in bunch of unfunded tax cuts. after Conservatives claimed Labour would load up unfunded spending the past 3 elections.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Raises an interesting point. Clearly the old Tory toffs in the shires can't be trusted to elect a leader - and PM - who is competent and, well, sane. Are we really going to allow the same bunch of senile old duffers to elect our next PM? This madness has to stop.

Unfortunately, although I share your disgust, it is perfectly acceptable in our constitution for the party of government to change its leader (and hence the PM) without going to the country. Both parties get on their high horse when the other does it, albeit the tories were the last to say it is 'wrong' for labour to give us a PM who was not 'elected' (Brown); on this and the previous occasion labour have simply demand that we have a GE because the tories are shit.

That said, if Thick Lizzy is ousted it would be unprecedented - no party of government has booted out two of its own leaders in one term of office before.

(My preference would be for the dissolution of parliament and a general election within 3 weeks. Unfortunately this won't happen).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It seems to me that Conservative party members are doing a lot of the heavy lifting for this complete economic clusterf***

I am not defending them, but I don't think we would be anywhere a situation like this without the quite significant support of the electorate on both the Brexit referendum and then following it up with an 80 seat Johnson majority. But maybe a bit too close to home, so it's definitely their fault :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here