Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party meltdown incoming (Part 2)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think the only way out is for a Sunak - May -led grouping to join the opposition in a vote of no confidence - indeed, a vote against the budget would count - out of concern for the damage being done to the country and economy. That would be utterly extraordinary and completely gripping if it came to pass, and would put a fitting ribbon on the clusterf*ck of the last seven years of Tory rule since the coalition ended.

Yes, what now seems increasingly certain (famous last words) is that it will end, and end within two years or so. The question, and intrigue, is how.
I've stated that I don't think Truss/KamiKwarsi are implementing disaster capitalism. Instead, I think they really believe this stuff: they're ideologues. Incompetent ideologues perhaps, but ideologues nevertheless. This jars with the history of the Conservative Party which will do anything to hold onto power, which it's been remarkably effective at for 350 years.
Which leaves the likes of Hunt/May/Sunak that you mention with a decision: do they allow this to play out until the bitter end, enabling maximum damage to the brand; or, do they intervene in the short-term, accept they've lost the next election by doing so, but securing a swifter return to power.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes, what now seems increasingly certain (famous last words) is that it will end, and end within two years or so. The question, and intrigue, is how.
I've stated that I don't think Truss/KamiKwarsi are implementing disaster capitalism. Instead, I think they really believe this stuff: they're ideologues. Incompetent ideologues perhaps, but ideologues nevertheless. This jars with the history of the Conservative Party which will do anything to hold onto power, which it's been remarkably effective at for 350 years.
Which leaves the likes of Hunt/May/Sunak that you mention with a decision: do they allow this to play out until the bitter end, enabling maximum damage to the brand; or, do they intervene in the short-term, accept they've lost the next election by doing so, but securing a swifter return to power.

I think the worse the economy gets the swifter the eventual return to power, because it will be even harder for Labour to sort out the mess. Recall the Barber budget of '72, a tax-cutting disaster, which ended up in 3 day weeks and the winter of discontent - blamed squarely on Wilson and leading inexorably to the Thatcher government. My Dad will still never vote for Labour because of what happened in 76-77, even though the blame can be fairly laid at the door of the previous Heath administration.

No, I think Sunak/May/Hunt stepping in would be about country, not party - these names are listed because they're some of the few you could see making that determination. It is extremely unlikely to happen of course, but would be a sight to behold.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think the only way out is for a Sunak - May -led grouping to join the opposition in a vote of no confidence - indeed, a vote against the budget would count - out of concern for the damage being done to the country and economy. That would be utterly extraordinary and completely gripping if it came to pass, and would put a fitting ribbon on the clusterf*ck of the last seven years of Tory rule since the coalition ended.

Not sure, isn't it officially "not a budget"? I'm beginning to wonder whether their sophistry was more than just an attempt to downplay it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This Twitter thread is quite interesting. Not surprised to see some of the ‘compromised’ Tory’s involved of course

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gavin Williamson had a full scale toddler tantrum, trying to bully the ex Chief Whip Wendy Morton because he hadn’t got an invite to the Queen’s funeral. He’s been sacked twice from the government, but still Sunak gave him a job.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here's why taxes have to go up

The party of business! They actually make a good case for tax avoidance; why would anyone willingly want to fund these corrupt and inept people?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gavin Williamson had a full scale toddler tantrum, trying to bully the ex Chief Whip Wendy Morton because he hadn’t got an invite to the Queen’s funeral. He’s been sacked twice from the government, but still Sunak gave him a job.

Still can't believe he was knighted, definitely in the top 5 of most useless Tory politicians since 2015

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The tweet is mainly wrong, The function of tax is not to fund government expenditure. Some taxes may have to go up or down for other reasons.
I think the point being made is that the government have been so catasrophically negligent with the country's finances, based mainly on failed ideology, that they needn't have to raise taxes, (seen as a last resort for a Tory govt), had they have run the country for the benefit and interests of the country as a whole

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The tweet is mainly wrong, The function of tax is not to fund government expenditure. Some taxes may have to go up or down for other reasons.
According to your favourite economic theory. The problem is, it won't be factually the case until financial markets and government departments globally agree with that theory. which they clearly dont otherwise Truss would still be PM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here