Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1575208869889835008[/tweet]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Our ‘constitution’ is really a hodgepodge of laws and rules which works fine while everyone plays by them, but I’d argue Boris’ Trump-like qualities have shown that a lot of this needs re-looking at. A rule that a GE must happen if a party changes leaders is a sensible one, and could easily be added to our ‘constitution’. It would avoid having our PM voted in by a handful of geriatric little englanders (or indeed by a bunch of Red Flag singing leftie loons - with Starmer’s sensibleness, it’s easy to forget that not long ago the other lot saw fit to pick Corbyn as well).

The system isn't great but do you honestly think the Tory MPs would have voted out Boris if they knew that would trigger a general election just after their new leader got elected? Turkeys voting for xmas. That said, after what Truss has done to the economy I suspect we could just about tolerate Johnson for the next two years, lesser of two evils.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The Tories need a clear out. They've lost their way. Sensible old ones like Heseltine and Clarke must find the current situation disturbing. First off, kick out the ERG and ban little groovy gangs like that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Interesting range of people being blamed, other than Truss and Kwarteng's budget, for the run on the Pound.

Dan Hannan - "The pound isn’t crashing over a trifling batch of tax cuts. It’s because the markets are terrified of Starmer."
John Redwood - The Bank of England.
Crispin Odey - Remainers.
Kwasi Kwarteng - City traders. To be fair, this is technically true, but you can't bang on about deregulation and free markets, and then complain when these guys do what they do.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Tories need a clear out. They've lost their way. Sensible old ones like Heseltine and Clarke must find the current situation disturbing. First off, kick out the ERG and ban little groovy gangs like that.

I think the problem is that the party has shifted to far to the right and the decent number of Tory MPs are in the minority. If they had a backbone they side with decency in a vote of no confidence and we'd have an election!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The system isn't great but do you honestly think the Tory MPs would have voted out Boris if they knew that would trigger a general election just after their new leader got elected? Turkeys voting for xmas. That said, after what Truss has done to the economy I suspect we could just about tolerate Johnson for the next two years, lesser of two evils.

No.
We couldn’t.
Weren’t you welcoming Truss as the new PM?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not only do we have the traditional greedy Tory's in charge, we now have thick, greedy, Tory's in charge.

It has been a well known practice in the Conservative party for years that all documents must be "Truss proofed". As in, simplified enough that the daft cow can understand them. And now she is in charge.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting range of people being blamed, other than Truss and Kwarteng's budget, for the run on the Pound.

Dan Hannan - "The pound isn’t crashing over a trifling batch of tax cuts. It’s because the markets are terrified of Starmer."
John Redwood - The Bank of England.
Crispin Odey - Remainers.
Kwasi Kwarteng - City traders. To be fair, this is technically true, but you can't bang on about deregulation and free markets, and then complain when these guys do what they do.

And they are all wrong!

It’s Jeremy bloody Corbyn. The Tories promised us political chaos and huge debt with a magic money tree with him in charge. Well, if he hadn’t have put those ideas into Tory heads, perhaps they wouldn’t have enacted them!

What a shit that man is!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1575522731101245440[/tweet]

[tweet]1575526882853810192[/tweet]

Mid Sussex returns a Labour MP on that swing, BTW.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don't follow all threads/posts, but I'd be very surprised if your final point is correct and, more broadly, I think you've misread the post you're responding to.

With respect, I responded first to 'I suspect we could just about tolerate Johnson for the next two years, lesser of two evils' by saying no we couldn't.... because I do not think it would be 'the lesser of two evils'

Regards 'Weren’t you welcoming Truss as the new PM?'....I wasn't sure which is why it was a question and not a 'point'.....

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

That is truly remarkable

Even after the last 7 years, I really find it hard to believe that after last week there's still 21% who have decided Truss/Kwarteng, that's definitely who I want running the country for the next 5 years :shootself

I'd actually assumed that the few posts on NSC currently supporting them were just wind-up accounts who didn't actually bother to vote (like one admitted a few days ago and will probably give the thumbs up to this) :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here