Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Under Blair and Brown, Labour made two devastating mistakes. 1. Iraqi war. 2. Not have it enough regulation the banking industry.

Cameron got in on the back of point 2. Now the Tories want to deregulate bankers again. Another financial crash will surely follow at some point.
I can't understate how much I loathe the tories and those who knowingly vote for them - 12 years of persecuting the least well off (we're all in in together) following a financial crisis caused by out of control bankers and this is their answer. Tossers. Oh, and then announce a 'new' fighter jet deal that's been worked on for 5 years!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Under Blair and Brown, Labour made two devastating mistakes. 1. Iraqi war. 2. Not have it enough regulation the banking industry.

Cameron got in on the back of point 2. Now the Tories want to deregulate bankers again. Another financial crash will surely follow at some point.
Gordon Brown was awarded for his solutions to the banking crisis, and many countries followed his example. There again, he is an economist.
Unfortunately, in 2010, the press did a number on him, and the coalition got in.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So now The Hunt wants to deregulate the banks again. How long before we need to bail them out again? 2008 showed that we cannot trust bankers to act honestly and with propriety without strict rules in place (a bit like a three year old). Remove the regulations so they can exploit the system and we have seen that they will take every advantage.

Still. The Hunt needs to make sure he keeps the bankers happy so he gets his non-exec directorships and "consultancies" when he does a runner or the electorate kicks him out.

No good will come of this.

(Next item on the news? Santander being fined over a hundred million quid (Is that all? Ed.) for giving the finger to the anti money laundering regulations.)

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

They also introduced PFI to the NHS, for noble reasons but it has allowed the Tories to practically wreck the service on the back of it. The 97 Labour government was too timid and failed to make the most of its huge majority. I really hope Keir does not repeat those mistakes and actually tries to achieve real change when he comes to power.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tory MP declared bankrupt owing HMRC £1 million and £700,000 to Barclays bank. I believe a bankrupt cannot be an MP, so there may be another by election.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Tory MP declared bankrupt owing HMRC £1 million and £700,000 to Barclays bank. I believe a bankrupt cannot be an MP, so there may be another by election.

So much for Tories being 'economically competent' - I bet he blames this on Labour and Gordon Brown too!

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I can't understate how much I loathe the tories and those who knowingly vote for them - 12 years of persecuting the least well off (we're all in in together) following a financial crisis caused by out of control bankers and this is their answer. Tossers. Oh, and then announce a 'new' fighter jet deal that's been worked on for 5 years!
I am glad I cannot vote here or in the UK. Choices are which is the worst?
Here it's corrupt cronyism versus bitter infighting with no constructive ideas. There it seems corrupt cronyism versus no clear solutions.
If I am wrong please tell me what the Labour party's plans are to resolve all these crises.

Ps If I could vote , it would not be for either of the main parties in either country.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I am glad I cannot vote here or in the UK. Choices are which is the worst?
Here it's corrupt cronyism versus bitter infighting with no constructive ideas. There it seems corrupt cronyism versus no clear solutions.
If I am wrong please tell me what the Labour party's plans are to resolve all these crises.

Ps If I could vote , it would not be for either of the main parties in either country.
the labour party can't know which specific crises they will be faced with.

the tories have to realize that their incompetence and greed is the main issue facing britain today, and pick a date. unfortunately, they are not the sharpest spoon in the drawer

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
the labour party can't know which specific crises they will be faced with.

the tories have to realize that their incompetence and greed is the main issue facing britain today, and pick a date. unfortunately, they are not the sharpest spoon in the drawer
Sorry but forget party loyalty.
The Tories have made horrendous mistakes. But the current crisis is mostly due to the cost of the pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
What is Lanours solution to this?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Tories have made horrendous mistakes. But the current crisis is mostly due to the cost of the pandemic and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Nothing to do with 12 years of Tory incompetence rendering the U.K. incapable of dealing with crisis?

Nothing to do with 12 years of Tory corruption designed to transfer money from the public purse into the accounts of cabinet members and their cohorts?

Nothing to do with 12 years of running public services into the ground and keeping wages so low that even ambulance crew are refusing to work?

Nothing to do with 12 years of relentlessly untrustworthy leadership that for the best part of the last two years, instead of dealing with mounting crisis, have been at each other’s throats almost constantly?

Nothing to do with pursuing the most ludicrous of Brexits, whatever the cost, whatever the glaringly obvious damage it’s doing to our economy?

No, I’m sure all that has put is in great stead to deal with any crisis we face.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nothing to do with 12 years of Tory incompetence rendering the U.K. incapable of dealing with crisis?

Nothing to do with 12 years of Tory corruption designed to transfer money from the public purse into the accounts of cabinet members and their cohorts?

Nothing to do with 12 years of running public services into the ground and keeping wages so low that even ambulance crew are refusing to work?

Nothing to do with 12 years of relentlessly untrustworthy leadership that for the best part of the last two years, instead of dealing with mounting crisis, have been at each other’s throats almost constantly?

Nothing to do with pursuing the most ludicrous of Brexits, whatever the cost, whatever the glaringly obvious damage it’s doing to our economy?

No, I’m sure all that has put is in great stead to deal with any crisis we face.
Labour in the 70’s weren’t great. They hugely f***ed up the economy. Every political party fucks up the economy sometimes.

You need to get this out of your head that Labour will come in and fix/change everything. They won’t and can’t.

Party politics is cyclical. Soon it’ll be Labour’s turn again. There’s a reason they aren’t in government right now - they lost an election because they became desperately unpopular.

Right now the Tories are even more unpopular and will lose heavily, and then after Labour’s cycle, they will be unpopular and a new Tory government will come in and…

Party politics. It’s just party politics.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

There was also the public private partnership of the London underground which collapsed.

It was such a c#####f### that no one really knows how much money it wasted but it ran into billions. There is pouring billions "down the tube", but also not being aware of how many billions were lost.

Attention (obviously) was distracted by the Iraq war by the time of the collapse but it was a massive failure of the Government.

It's often cited as one of the worst mistakes of modern Government, up there with the poll tax, costing more money but often forgotten.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
er, you can only control the controlables, what have the tories done in 12 years except brexit? in all seriousness, who could be worse than this rabble?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Labour in the 70’s weren’t great. They hugely f***ed up the economy. Every political party fucks up the economy sometimes.

You need to get this out of your head that Labour will come in and fix/change everything. They won’t and can’t.

Party politics is cyclical. Soon it’ll be Labour’s turn again. There’s a reason they aren’t in government right now - they lost an election because they became desperately unpopular.

Right now the Tories are even more unpopular and will lose heavily, and then after Labour’s cycle, they will be unpopular and a new Tory government will come in and…

what type of nation would you like to live in?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

When have I ever expressed the opinion labour will fix everything?
While I do not trust Starmer or particularly like him, right now we need a government that, while they may not fix everything might at least stop making it worse.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here