Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Pulis voted LMA Premier League Manager of the Year

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
That is utter shit. Conversation over as if you're unable to hold one without being a complete bell end (on our board) than I'm not interested.

Calm down, Its just an opinion.

Do you think this Brighton/Barca philosophy would have got you to two consecutive top six finishes without the large investment on and off the pitch?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Calm down, Its just an opinion.

Do you think this Brighton/Barca philosophy would have got you to two consecutive top six finishes without the large investment on and off the pitch?

We ve not invested huge amounts on the team at all. That's one of the reasons both our last managers were unhappy. The main reason for the climb (half the climb was at Withdean) is the clubs new way of football. The 130 mil you talk about has barely affected anything on the pitch in theory. It's built the clubs future..

So how much of Palaces current league position do you attribute to financially cheating & going into administration to clear debts?

Last edited:

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
We be not invested huge amounts in the team ata. That's one of the reasons both are last managers were unhappy. The main reason for the climb (half the climb was at Withdean) is the clubs new way of football. The 130 mil you talk about has barely affected anything on the pitch in theory. It's built the clubs future..

So how much of Palaces current league position do you attribute to financially cheating & going into administration to clear debts?

When CPFC 2010 took over 4 years ago we had 6 first team pro's on our books...

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
It's a club philosophy - bit like Barcelona have where it goes right the way through the whole club at every level & age range. It's essentially a lot of emphasis on ball retention & possession. It's great to watch and has seen us shoot up roughly 35-40 places in the football ladder since it came in so seems to work. Whoever the new boss is they will have to maintain & buy into this philosophy and it will hopefully continue to stick with the club (ie one that has a firm reputation now of playing attractive football..) It's not a bad thing to have at a club IMO...

It's certainly a better idea than hoof ball but please don't tar us with the Stoke brush, we might not play possession football but we're certainly not a long ball team, in fact when we do have possession I'd say we're quite good with the ball and our counter attacking threat recently has been great viewing. If we can get make a couple of shrewd additions to our starting lineup in the summer, we have a great chance of consolidating once again.

Whenever I've seen you play this season I've found the style of play a bit tedious, yes you keep hold of it for longer spells than the opposition but so much of it seems to be between Upson and Greer. Perhaps with a deep lying playmaker, you could really tear up some trees next season but that's only one of many positions you need filling it seems.

Pulis deserves massive credit though, the only people who seem to think otherwise are Liverpool fans who genuinely believe Rodgers and Pellegrini should have won both awards!!

Dec 3, 2012
There's not enough pace in the Brighton side. It's ok to work the ball around and look for openings but sometimes you've got to make something happen. I know he's erratic but Lua Lua offers something different, he'll take a chance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When CPFC 2010 took over 4 years ago we had 6 first team pro's on our books...

And had you not spent beyond your means you could well have dropped down the leagues like a stone previously. So of course it's played a part in where you are now...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's certainly a better idea than hoof ball but please don't tar us with the Stoke brush, we might not play possession football but we're certainly not a long ball team, in fact when we do have possession I'd say we're quite good with the ball and our counter attacking threat recently has been great viewing. If we can get make a couple of shrewd additions to our starting lineup in the summer, we have a great chance of consolidating once again.

Whenever I've seen you play this season I've found the style of play a bit tedious, yes you keep hold of it for longer spells than the opposition but so much of it seems to be between Upson and Greer. Perhaps with a deep lying playmaker, you could really tear up some trees next season but that's only one of many positions you need filling it seems.

Pulis deserves massive credit though, the only people who seem to think otherwise are Liverpool fans who genuinely believe Rodgers and Pellegrini should have won both awards!!

At last a sensible post from a palace fan. I agree with most of what you say. Tbh I was just reacting to some of the untrue crap some of your lot were writing on here. As I mentioned on another thread, huge respect to you for this season - you've deserved it. I do however still point out you were v lucky to get promoted last season (as most of my palace mates admit)

Dec 3, 2012
And had you not spent beyond your means you could well have dropped down the leagues like a stone previously. So of course it's played a part in where you are now...

Palace won't be too worried about that. New owners have learnt the lessons and the club looks secure now.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014

So who are these amazing players we bought that kept us up and punching above our means? Cause I can't think of any. Most of the money we over-spent on went on payoffs for shit managers like Francis, Dowie and Taylor and flop players like Akinbyi and Kuqi who scored f*** all.

Dec 3, 2012
At last a sensible post from a palace fan. I agree with most of what you say. Tbh I was just reacting to some of the untrue crap some of your lot were writing on here. As I mentioned on another thread, huge respect to you for this season - you've deserved it. I do however still point out you were v lucky to get promoted last season (as most of my palace mates admit)

Two ways of looking at that. Unlucky to lose Freedman when top of the league but then lucky to scrape into the play offs at the end of the season. It's all about taking your chance and Palace did that

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
We ve not invested huge amounts on the team at all. That's one of the reasons both our last managers were unhappy. The main reason for the climb (half the climb was at Withdean) is the clubs new way of football. The 130 mil you talk about has barely affected anything on the pitch in theory. It's built the clubs future..

£22 million wage bill last season suggests otherwise.

ztbw4p.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
£22 million wage bill last season suggests otherwise.

ztbw4p.jpg

Haha where the hell did u get that table - off someone on twitter it seems?!

No such table exists. We were 12th or 14th highest budget that yr according to Gus...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If the above table is true and players salaries are the only measure, then we overachieved by finishing higher than our spending position..........

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Haha where the hell did u get that table - off someone on twitter it seems?!

No such table exists. We were 12th or 14th highest budget that yr according to Gus...

Swiss ramble is on twitter, Probably the most respected football finance man around. Have a read you may well learn something.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble

He has a soft spot for Brighton as well-

Swiss Ramble ‏@SwissRamble · May 3
Congrats to @OfficialBHAFC on reaching the Championship play-offs. Went to school in Brighton (Hove, actually), so delighted with that.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
If the above table is true and players salaries are the only measure, then we overachieved by finishing higher than our spending position..........

Yep both our team did well on that front.

BHAFC - 8th in wages, 4th in league.
CPFC - 12th in wages, 5th in league.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh jeez, faced with proof you still maintain your aggressive stance.

Aggressive?! I'm just sick of deluded palace trolls piping up on every thread!

As for u being SAD enough to go through this thread and 'thumbs down' my comments. Jesus I had 6 notifications from a bloody palace fan. Bore off. Maybe get a life?

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Swiss ramble is on twitter, Probably the most respected football finance man around. Have a read you may well learn something.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble

He has a soft spot for Brighton as well-

Swiss Ramble ‏@SwissRamble · May 3
Congrats to @OfficialBHAFC on reaching the Championship play-offs. Went to school in Brighton (Hove, actually), so delighted with that.

There's no way the table would be accurate though is there. That info is guessed (admittedly an educated guess using finances I assume) - Clubs don't divulge what certain players are on, whether they're first team etc. also the fact apart from Ulloa & Crofts, we spent nothing on transfers also has something to do with the budgets u think? We had Wayne Bridge etc
on loan so out wage position doesn't reflect overall budget - think about it u may learn something?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh jeez, faced with proof you still maintain your aggressive stance.

Again, proof of what? That's not proof of overall budget now is it? And again if anything that's proved we haven't chucked millions at it. As I said, the money we've had has paid for our future mainly..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here