Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Argus - Orlandi may be back for Saturday

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes but very rarely do you a see pass like that with no bounce, no spin, passed straight to the players path end up over the bar. But going back to my original point, if that had shot hadn't been on target, would people still be saying he's undroppable? No, they wouldn't.

So, Oscar's going to think to himself 'Crofty only scored from a tap in on Saturday and not much better last week either. He's just not contributing so I'll play Andrews. Also Ulloa only scored when against a sub keeper who wasn't very good. Perhaps I should play Barker instead. Upson and Greer didn't score against Brum or Burnley when they had chances but Dunk and Rea both scored last night so I'll play them too.....'

There's none so blind..........

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes. And he did finish it well.

But going back to the point everybody seems to miss, if he hadn't have scored, people wouldn't have said he is unplayable and needs to start next week.

You can't really be saying that scoring a goal that easy to score automatically guarantees you a place? When his performance was average and he had been woeful for the previous games thus season.

An opinion - an opinion - I guess not quite so readily shared by Oscar Garcia.

If individual quality was your only master, virtually everyone would have been dropped after the Derby game - especially Agustein.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
An opinion - an opinion - I guess not quite so readily shared by Oscar Garcia.

If individual quality was your only master, virtually everyone would have been dropped after the Derby game - especially Agustein.

So who was available to play the Bridcutt/Crofts role on Saturday instead then?

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
So, Oscar's going to think to himself 'Crofty only scored from a tap in on Saturday and not much better last week either. He's just not contributing so I'll play Andrews. Also Ulloa only scored when against a sub keeper who wasn't very good. Perhaps I should play Barker instead. Upson and Greer didn't score against Brum or Burnley when they had chances but Dunk and Rea both scored last night so I'll play them too.....'

There's none so blind..........

What a strange post. Somebody else who seems to ignore the point.

Apart from the goal, he contributed nothing to suggest he is undroppable. The performances against Brum and Leeds suggested he was more droppable. So why does a tap in make a difference?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a strange post. Somebody else who seems to ignore the point.

Apart from the goal, he contributed nothing to suggest he is undroppable. The performances against Brum and Leeds suggested he was more droppable. So why does a tap in make a difference?

If you think Crofts goal was a tap in, then I suggest you take up knitting. He timed his shot perfectly waiting for the keeper to commit himself.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
If you think Crofts goal was a tap in, then I suggest you take up knitting. He timed his shot perfectly waiting for the keeper to commit himself.

If a professional footballer who is paid to kick a ball for a living is unable to hit that shot on target, I suggest they take up knitting.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Anyway...

Good news re Orlandi, isn't it!?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If a professional footballer who is paid to kick a ball for a living is unable to hit that shot on target, I suggest they take up knitting.

There'll be plenty of candidates. As I said, it was all about the timing, it wasn't a simple tap in. I was in the north stand directly in line with Crofts when he struck it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought Crofts tried his hardest to miss it, tad close to the keeper for my liking.

Re to shoot or to pass, someone has already alluded to this:-

In The Gus Years, there wouldn't have been a marauding midfielder, busting a gut to get on the end of a 6 yard 'tap-in'.
Even when Crofts was playing he wasn't allowed to perform that role.

I bet Leo couldn't believe he wasn't the further forward, esp on a quick break.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
What tap-in?

Errr, the tap in where Ulloa played a ball with no spin or bounce right into the path of Crofts whilst the keeper is running back to the other side of the goal only for Crofts to tap the ball in from 11 yards out. If the keeper had saved it, then fair enough. It would have been a very good save. But to miss the target would have been shocking, which is why I would call it a tap in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought Crofts tried his hardest to miss it, tad close to the keeper for my liking.

Re to shoot or to pass, someone has already alluded to this:-

In The Gus Years, there wouldn't have been a marauding midfielder, busting a gut to get on the end of a 6 yard 'tap-in'.
Even when Crofts was playing he wasn't allowed to perform that role.

I bet Leo couldn't believe he wasn't the further forward, esp on a quick break.

Looking at the pic in TLO's post #73 it was 10 yards not 6.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Errr, the tap in where Ulloa played a ball with no spin or bounce right into the path of Crofts whilst the keeper is running back to the other side of the goal only for Crofts to tap the ball in from 11 yards out. If the keeper had saved it, then fair enough. It would have been a very good save. But to miss the target would have been shocking, which is why I would call it a tap in.

I suggest you watch the highlights as Crofts had to beat the keeper, that side of the goal was not empty.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
There'll be plenty of candidates. As I said, it was all about the timing, it wasn't a simple tap in. I was in the north stand directly in line with Crofts when he struck it.

Sorry, when I say tap in, I mean getting it on target. Keepers do save tap ins. It wasn't simple, but you'd be shocked if a professional footballer wasn't able to get it on target.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

Do you consider penalties as tap ins?

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I suggest you watch the highlights as Crofts had to beat the keeper, that side of the goal was not empty.

The keeper was on that side when the ball was struck by Crofts but was off balance after running from the near post back to where Crofts was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking at the pic in TLO's post #73 it was 10 yards not 6.
A quality piece of play finished with a good twonk.
What's 4 yards between friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here