Today's Argus - Orlandi may be back for Saturday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm quite bored at work, so I'll continue to humour you.

He may well have scored a tap in and a good reasonable goal against Birmingham but that doesn't mean he had good games whatsoever. He seemed to contribute nothing elsewhere.

1. The goal on Saturday was no tap in. It was from 12 yards, with the keeper well placed, and he had to hit it first time. A very presentable chance, but pretty well taken, nonetheless.

2. His goal at Birmingham wasn't 'reasonable'. It was excellent.

3. Nobody (literally NOBODY) has suggested that scoring in each game proves he played well in them. Just that goals, and providing a goal threat are an important consideration.

And stop trying to look clever. Funny that you haven't replied to the my second question from my last post. But instead, you give a smug answer which in attempting to humiliate me, you have humiliated yourself by showing that your original point was wrong by not answering my question.

1. I am clever. Sorry if that troubles you.
2. I am not trying to humiliate you. You are posting stuff that I disagree with, so I'm pointing that out. That's how discussions work.
3. What did I miss? That the fans would have groaned if Crofts had missed a good scoring chance? Of course they would. That doesn't mean it was 'unmissable', though, by any means.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I think you have answered the point that you were arguing, he's now started scoring = confidence, which has resulted in his best performance which lead to another goal. He's not exempt from being dropped, but he's given Oscar a welcome headache no doubt.

Edit. I see your above post, I get your drift.

He may well be confident, but I don't feel that his performances yet have warranted an 'undroppable' status. If he keeps scoring and improves in the middle of the field, then he may well be. But all I am trying to say is that apart from the goals, he hasn't set the world a light.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
1. The goal on Saturday was no tap in. It was from 12 yards, with the keeper well placed, and he had to hit it first time. A very presentable chance, but pretty well taken, nonetheless.

From my viewing point it also looked like he had to adjust his body shape slightly backwards before he shot.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Maybe Oscar will pick the team dependant on the opposition. I think that there are some more physical sides we play that may be better games for Croft's aggressive closing down and late arrival in the box. 2nd top goalscorer and with a further run he'll probably get better. I am a great believer in teams that counteract the strengths of the opposition, the best way for squad rotation to operate.

I can't see why Crofts would be the one to miss out. He looks match fit which is more than David Lopez or Augestein do and he was certainlt better than both of them on Saturday

Well Millwall are there for the taking so I'd have Orlandi Buckley and Ulloa as the front three. I agree that in some games we'd not want to accomodate the luxury of both Lopez and Orlandi and go for a Crofts type player instead, but Lopez didn't really have a pre-season so he needs all the games he can get at the mo.

Kemy was great on Saturday I thought. It's just so nice to someone who's instant touch and vision changes defence to attack. He too needs more games to be fully fit.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I'm quite bored at work, so I'll continue to humour you.

2. His goal at Birmingham wasn't 'reasonable'. It was excellent.

3. Nobody (literally NOBODY) has suggested that scoring in each game proves he played well in them. Just that goals, and providing a goal threat are an important consideration.

1. I am clever. Sorry if that troubles you.
2. I am not trying to humiliate you. You are posting stuff that I disagree with, so I'm pointing that out. That's how discussions work.
3. What did I miss? That the fans would have groaned if Crofts had missed a good scoring chance? Of course they would. that doesn't mean it was 'unmissable', though, by any means.

In reply to your points:

1. Yes it was a tap in. The keeper was slightly out of position and it was nearly impossible to miss. You may disagree.

2. He made a run. A pass was played through and he had a shot. Luckily for him, it went through the defenders legs and went in. It may have been better than reasonable, but certainly wasn't excellent.

3. Yes they have. Saying that Crofts is undroppable would suggest he played well.

___

1. I bet you are. You keep telling yourself that.

2. By taking a clear rhetorical question seriously suggests that you were either trying to humiliate me or you don't understand what a rhetorical question is. But you've told me how clever you are so you must have been humiliating me.

3. You didn't answer my question. If Crofts had put that shot over the bar or wide, people would have been in disbelief. If it had been saved, then it would have been a very good save. The fact that it was easier to get it on target than off target suggests it was an easy chance suggests it was an easy chance. If the keeper had saved it, it would have been a different matter.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
[QUOTE=Kazenga

Me neither. Crofts has 2 in 2 from midfield with the team winning both so is an absolute shoe in to start Saturday. Not even a debate to be had unless the team wasn't winning

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I believe that Oscar is a believer that at home we will play the team we want regardless of opposition. But will make more changes when playing away. Can see him swapping Lopez for Orlandi, but why change the Crofts, Augustien and Ince midfield combination. Created, chances, restricted Burnley. I cant see us needing more defensive cover vs millwall. Possibly away vs Reading and QPR we will see Andrews and Bridcutt. But no need for 2 defensive mids at home.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I believe that Oscar is a believer that at home we will play the team we want regardless of opposition. But will make more changes when playing away. Can see him swapping Lopez for Orlandi, but why change the Crofts, Augustien and Ince midfield combination. Created, chances, restricted Burnley. I cant see us needing more defensive cover vs millwall. Possibly away vs Reading and QPR we will see Andrews and Bridcutt. But no need for 2 defensive mids at home.

Because Crofts has only had one average game. Andrews was MOM against Brum so would rather see him play.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
There is a debate so I have corrected it for you..

I thought he had a good game, scored, helped set up the second, harried and pressured very well without the ball, and when on the ball was much more assured in his passing and didn't ponder on the ball as has been his problem in recent weeks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would guess one person's idea of 'keeper out of position', 'tap-in' and 'nearly impossible to miss' might differ from others...

Screen shot 2013-08-27 at 13.07.46.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well Millwall are there for the taking so I'd have Orlandi Buckley and Ulloa as the front three. I agree that in some games we'd not want to accomodate the luxury of both Lopez and Orlandi and go for a Crofts type player instead, but Lopez didn't really have a pre-season so he needs all the games he can get at the mo.

Kemy was great on Saturday I thought. It's just so nice to someone who's instant touch and vision changes defence to attack. He too needs more games to be fully fit.

Going to be an interesting selection because Gus completely ****ed up his tactics against Millwall at the Amex in both of the last two seasons. I think we were lucky to get a draw (?) in both games?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Could you imagine people's reaction if that went wide or over the bar?

Happens regularly at every ground. Even Ulloa has missed one from a foot out and I don't remember any real bad reaction.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Happens regularly at every ground. Even Ulloa has missed one from a foot out and I don't remember any real bad reaction.

Yes but very rarely do you a see pass like that with no bounce, no spin, passed straight to the players path end up over the bar. But going back to my original point, if that had shot hadn't been on target, would people still be saying he's undroppable? No, they wouldn't.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Going to be an interesting selection because Gus completely ****ed up his tactics against Millwall at the Amex in both of the last two seasons. I think we were lucky to get a draw (?) in both games?

This year's Millwall = no Jacket required = easier team to beat.

Surely some paper used that as a headline for his sacking?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes but very rarely do you a see pass like that with no bounce, no spin, passed straight to the players path end up over the bar.

Really?

But going back to my original point, if that had shot hadn't been on target, would people still be saying he's undroppable? No, they wouldn't.

But he didn't miss it. He made a fine job of finishing - finer than many have done in Albion colours over the years.

Your point is only hypothetical.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Really?

But he didn't miss it. He made a fine job of finishing - finer than many have done in Albion colours over the years.

Your point is only hypothetical.

Yes. And he did finish it well.

But going back to the point everybody seems to miss, if he hadn't have scored, people wouldn't have said he is unplayable and needs to start next week.

You can't really be saying that scoring a goal that easy to score automatically guarantees you a place? When his performance was average and he had been woeful for the previous games thus season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports