Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Won't turn up to vote

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
This is the point, no-one has been able to have their say.

No-one asked the electorate whether this was wanted, just arrogant assumption that 'more choice' is automatically a good thing. And if the mandate for this election was '... you voted for us, so you clearly agree with our policies...' then they can stick that up their engorged arses.

This isn't apathy, it's active objection. However, the government has said that the size of the turnout will not affect the mandate, so it's only party activists, the truly gullible and close friends who will vote. i.e. people with a vested interest in further politicising the police.

Who will hold the PCC to account? A Police and Crime panel of appointed members - so that's a bit like as it is now. Failing that, you can always put up with them for four years, and get the opportunity to vote them out. Four years.

Doesn't matter that nobody asked your opinion about whether it should happen, the fact is it is happening.

Not voting isn't active objection as no-one knows you are objecting, spoiling your ballot paper however ........

Size of turnout doesn't matter for other elections either, nothing unusual there.

Who holds them to account ? and then who holds the accounters to account and then who holds them to account. etc etc. Ultimately the people that vote to get rid of them when they do not like what they do,

unless of course they don't

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Have any of the candidates any experience of Policing and what it entails. On the face of it, I would perhaps be more inclined to vote, but I am not certain, if the candidates were either senior ex police or service officers with extensive organisational experience

You appear to have access to the internet. You can check them out on there

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am really pissed off that many candidates have been aligned to political parties. I dont believe that politics should play any part in this and for that reason the elections can f*** off.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has the police union or federation or whatever they call themselves ever expressed a view about the posts and their need.

Not allowed to.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You appear to have access to the internet. You can check them out on there

Oh you mean those few paragraphs of soundbites but no detail of how they plan to achieve their vague promises - yes, very worthwhile reading allowing you to intelligently decide on who to vote for ! ........ not !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doesn't matter that nobody asked your opinion about whether it should happen, the fact is it is happening.

That is a dreadful piece of handwringing.

Of course it matters - this is the fundamental principle at stake. It's not who is going to be elected, that's a secondary consideration - it's the fact that a there is a possibility (no, probability) of further politicisation of the police, and the government has the neck to masquerade it as democracy in action. If it wasn't, the parties would refuse to field candidates.

You can elect these people every four years. You can elect the people who previously sat on the police committees every three years.

As someone stated earlier, it's a solution to a non-existent problem.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I am really pissed off that many candidates have been aligned to political parties. I dont believe that politics should play any part in this and for that reason the elections can f*** off.

I am with you on politics in police. Here in Essex we have 2 independents standing, one of whom states the same view.

He will be getting my vote tomorrow

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna Thanks that answers my query. Do you still get a vote a an individual or is that privilege withdrawn.

Can still vote, we pay taxes the same as most people. We just aren't permitted to publicly express an opinion as to who voters should favour, or indeed whether its worth your time & effort bothering.

Don't want to be seen to be trying to influence you fine people, folks :thumbsup:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
That is a dreadful piece of handwringing.

Of course it matters - this is the fundamental principle at stake. It's not who is going to be elected, that's a secondary consideration - it's the fact that a there is a possibility (no, probability) of further politicisation of the police, and the government has the neck to masquerade it as democracy in action. If it wasn't, the parties would refuse to field candidates.

You can elect these people every four years. You can elect the people who previously sat on the police committees every three years.

As someone stated earlier, it's a solution to a non-existent problem.

Maybe I don't disagree with you, and dreadful handwringing it may be, but it is the case it is happening.
At this point the only influence we can exert is, as you alluded to earlier, by being positive/pro-active.
Ignoring the elections will not make them go away, there will be a PCC.
Maybe if spoiled papers won the vote it may say something more than a 10% turnout will

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
It might be pointless, needless etc but it is happening.

If you have no interest in who gets the job, fine, just don't complain when they do things you don't like. You are not intrerested in the position so you are not interested in what happens.

Conversely you could have your say.

what are they going to do ?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Maybe I don't disagree with you, and dreadful handwringing it may be, but it is the case it is happening.
At this point the only influence we can exert is, as you alluded to earlier, by being positive/pro-active.
Ignoring the elections will not make them go away, there will be a PCC.
Maybe if spoiled papers won the vote it may say something more than a 10% turnout will

In a way you are right, this thing IS happening regardless of what the electorate thinks, which in itself makes a mockery of democracy. From what I have been able to find out about the candidates (and I have made the effort to seek out the information, rather than use the non-existent information sent to me) and none of them has given a compelling case for election, two candidates seem awful, one nondescript and the final one slightly less crap than the rest. How am I meant to vote positively in this instance when i am unlikely to be happy whatever the outcome. This whole thing is a farce and I shall be voting None of The Above.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Won't be voting - every single candidate is poor and the whole principle is wrong anyway.

But some are less poor than the others. Three are downright idiots, leaving two, one of these is unknown and a last minute unfortunate inclusion.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm going to smear shit on the page to indicate my preference.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But some are less poor than the others. Three are downright idiots, leaving two, one of these is unknown and a last minute unfortunate inclusion.

Disagree - all bar one are connected to political parties so in my mind that excludes them straight away. The remaining independant is a religious nutcase who may have been funded by the Greens. All equally poor.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'm going to smear shit on the page to indicate my preference.

But you can only vote for 1 not all of them :)

Agree with the general concensus, polical control of the police is not the way to go and the first step to a dictatorship or privatisation. I would vote if there was the option for "none of the above" as there should in all elections, it is not democracy in action to make me vote for the worst of a bad bunch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, I'm not turning out either. This will be the week in which Theresa May failed to deport Abu Qatada and will be responsible for a policy that probably 20% or less of the electorate want or care about. Bet she clings on to her job though.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
No, I'm not turning out either. This will be the week in which Theresa May failed to deport Abu Qatada and will be responsible for a policy that probably 20% or less of the electorate want or care about. Bet she clings on to her job though.

How long has the Abu Qatada been going on ?

Local council elections only get about 20% turnout, should we abolish the councils too. (maybe not such a bad idea !)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here