• Won't turn up to vote

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm working on a manifesto now.

-safe standing at grounds
-the introduction of a new pie variety every month, to be voted for on NSC
- an experimental cloning procedure to be implemented immediately, combining Vicente's football skills with Mo Farah's fitness & stamina
-a different variety of cider to be on sale at the Amex concourse bars
-A safety inspection to reveal that Selhurst Park does not meet Premier League standards, thus ensuring that, should they finish in a promotion spot, they will not be allowed into the PL
-a safety inspection to reveal that Selhurst Park does not meet Championship standards, requiring immediate demotion to the Blue Square Premier and a fine of...£50 million for taking the piss for so long.

Rest to follow when I've thought of them. Vote Krabappel.

Finally someone to vote for!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Have any of the candidates any experience of Policing and what it entails. On the face of it, I would perhaps be more inclined to vote, but I am not certain, if the candidates were either senior ex police or service officers with extensive organisational experience

The UKIP candidate spent 30 years as a Police Officer, so at least he knows what it's like on the beat and among the public. The rest of them are professional committee-sitters.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Out of interest, have you thought of becoming the Press Officer for the Green Party ? I ask as I never see you defend any so called "untruths" against any of the three main parties but someone only have to post a minor uncomplimentary comment about the Greens and you get all huffy and puffy !

Really? For a former X-bander at Stringer, you surprise me.

The point in making various observations about local issues - and let's talk specifically about the cycle lanes as an example - is not to put people right on the Greens as such (though that happens to be the case when people start grizzling like six year-olds about anything they say - good or bad), but to complement the other parties on something I agree with.

The fact that you disagree with these cycle lanes is your issue. I don't - and I'm giving credit where it's due. I thought you'd realised that. Evidently not.

Some people seem to think - and that is certainly the case on the playground cesspit that is the Argus website comments section - that the history of unpopular decisions at the council began with the election of the Green Party. They're like anyone else, they make popular and unpopular decisions. They make good and bad choices, and while I certainly don't disagree with everything they put out, they do need to learn some humility and grow some balls (I could never say that as a Green councillor - far too sexist.)

Plus ça change and all that.

As for joining a political party, and having some role? f*** off.

As regards the 'untruths' about other parties, that's usually discussed in a variety of Left v Right binfests covering other issues including the economy, immigration, housing etc. I purposely keep out of them, because the world and his wife has strong views on them, and you can never keep up. They are quite entertaining, mind.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be honest, given the likely low turnout, it should be easy to get @edna krabappel in using NSC and @Bozza could fund her deposit from NSC funds !

Bollocks, we should have thought of this earlier. Maybe next time? If the turnout is so low an efficient campaign might be enough to swing it. And I'm only half-joking here.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The "independent" in this case is unvoteforable (great word), but the type of person who wants to run for this sort of post has probably been quite successful in their chosen career, finding £5k shouldn't be a problem.

As they already works for a company that supplies the police:facepalm:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Have any of the candidates any experience of Policing and what it entails. On the face of it, I would perhaps be more inclined to vote, but I am not certain, if the candidates were either senior ex police or service officers with extensive organisational experience

The UKIP guy was a Policeman for 30 years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really? For a former X-bander at Stringer, you surprise me.

The point in making various observations about local issues - and let's talk specifically about the cycle lanes as an example - is not to put people right on the Greens as such (though that happens to be the case when people start grizzling like six year-olds about anything they say - good or bad), but to complement the other parties on something I agree with.

The fact that you disagree with these cycle lanes is your issue. I don't - and I'm giving credit where it's due. I thought you'd realised that. Evidently not.

Some people seem to think - and that is certainly the case on the playground cesspit that is the Argus website comments section - that the history of unpopular decisions at the council began with the election of the Green Party. They're like anyone else, they make popular and unpopular decisions. They make good and bad choices, and while I certainly don't disagree with everything they put out, they do need to learn some humility and grow some balls (I could never say that as a Green councillor - far too sexist.)

Plus ça change and all that.

As for joining a political party, and having some role? f*** off.

As regards the 'untruths' about other parties, that's usually discussed in a variety of Left v Right binfests covering other issues including the economy, immigration, housing etc. I purposely keep out of them, because the world and his wife has strong views on them, and you can never keep up. They are quite entertaining, mind.

Not sure what my education has to with but hey ho.

Yes I disagree with many of the Green party actions since getting into power. In particular, having watched many of the Thursday council webcasts, I detest their political grand standing, something I thought would have been banished having helped vote a supposedly refreshing new party into power ( and yes I voted for them). As it happens I've seen no more action from them than any of the previous councils and constant griping about lack of money ( yes join those of us in the real world !!! ), an insistence that taxes should go up ( strangely not mentioned during their election campaign ) and petty political sniping.

As someone that voted Green at the last election I'm constantly underwhelmed at their actions. You mention cycle lanes, one small but highly publisied "Green" policy. I have yet to see any published evidence that they produce positive results for the environment and OSR residents currently enjoy traffic jams and pollution that they didn't previously. Yet things such as increased recycling collections or green waste collection seem to have been completely forgotten.

Regardless of the above, my previous post was based on the fact that every time someone dares to criticise the Greens you, generally without fail, jump on your Green bandwagon to defend them. Now if you openly admitted you were a Green party supporter or member then I'd get it but you've been challenged many a time, not just by me but by others, and you constantly deny being completely in bed with the party. Your posts suggest otherwise. The reason being is that you leave the attacks on other political parties unchallenged ( apparently because other people will deal with it ) but even the smallest, tinyist attack on the Green party brings forth your anger.

Maybe I've read it wrong, maybe I'm in a minority of one but certainly from this ex-x-banders view point you're a Green apologist.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I voted for the independent candidate whoever he/she is for one reason only and that is that this should not have been linked to party politics.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This seems to have come out of nowhere. I would have thought I would have seen more campaigning, but suddenly the election starts tomorrow. Inspired by the other thread on this I looked them up and these were my thoughts:

Choose My PCC | The following 5 candidates are standing for election in: Sussex police force area

Tony Armstrong said:
I am not a politician. I was a 30-year career police officer until I retired. I believe in what I am doing – I have given up my job, and I am funding the £5000 election deposit myself. I will not make promises I do not know I can keep, but I do promise to be honest with you. At this stage I do not know how much funding for community support groups will be available.

I do not want to increase the police precept unless I absolutely have to.

My priority will be to reduce the effects of Government cuts in Police funding by reducing inefficiency. Although Sussex Police are well on the way to meeting the target they have been set, I will work to ensure that the available money is spent in the most effective manner.

I believe that it is more effective to reduce the number of criminals than it is to investigate, detect, prosecute and imprison offenders who have already committed crime.

Targeting known, active criminals is one way of quickly reducing the number of crimes committed by taking criminals off the streets.

Increasing the number and strength of Neighbourhood Policing Teams is another. These officers work closely with the residents of a small area and integrate with them. This is a return to old style policing.

I shall invite community groups to make a one-page request for funding, summarising how much funding they need, what they will spend it on and evidence that their project will be effective.

I shall also endeavour to ensure that Victim Support funding is not reduced.

Please read more details on PCC Sussex.

For the victim, not the criminal.

Address prepared by my election agent, Chris French

Pros: Career police officer,
Cons: Representing UKIP and I struggle to take UKIP seriously

Katy Bourne said:
MY EXPERIENCE

• A commercial background which includes building, managing and selling my company and investing in start-up businesses
  • A public service background as school governor and local councillor – I understand the importance of community engagement and accountability which will be vital to this role
I believe my combination of commercial experience and public and voluntary work has equipped me to undertake this role with a delivery-focussed and financially-disciplined approach.

MY AIMS

• To be highly visible and a strong voice representing local people in the fight against crime
  • To work hard to identify waste and inefficiencies so that savings are reinvested into frontline policing
  • To put a Special Constable in every rural village to reconnect the public with their ‘local Bobby’ thus allowing the police to concentrate full-time resources in those areas that require more attention
  • To give victims a strong, local voice for the first time and by funding services to help those who are affected by crime thus placing victims back at the heart of the criminal justice system
  • To support community safety partnerships and programmes that tackle drugs and alcohol misuse to prevent crime
  • To prevent offending by working with all agencies to achieve a targeted approach – preventing an escalation of early bad behaviour represents commons sense, both financially and for society
  • To focus on rural, business and serious and organised crime
I want to enable Sussex Police to drive down crime, tackle antisocial behaviour and domestic abuse and provide visible, effective neighbourhood policing to the standards that residents of Sussex expect and deserve.

My vision is to ensure that we are all Safer in Sussex.

This form has been prepared by my Election Agent Ginny Heard
www.katybourne.com

Pro: The only minority standing so might be more alert to the needs of minorities, despite standing as a conservative
Cons: No experience as police, lists commercial experience as a qualification for policing and I don't see that, puts a lot of focus on rural policing and villages lots of 'I want to do this' but very few 'I aim to achieve this by...'

Ian Chisnell said:
Election statement:

“Preventing crime” is at the heart of my approach to this exciting new role.

I have a successful track record of working with people in all parts of Sussex. These include projects to reduce crime and support people in ways that official initiatives alone cannot achieve. I have lived in Sussex for 34 years. I have worked with businesses, charities and individuals throughout Sussex for over 20 years, in both rural and urban settings. For over a decade I served as Chair of a multi million pound social work charity working with disadvantaged young people.

I was an Independent Adviser to Sussex Police for eight years and understand their strengths and weaknesses. This post demands strong leadership, a quality I have shown over many years in a number of roles; the Police and Crime Commissioner must also work in partnership with a range of organisations in Sussex, many of which I have current experience of. I have considerable experience of managing volunteers to resource many organisations in the Criminal Justice System. As residents and workers, we can all play a valuable role in keeping our workplaces and neighbourhoods safe from crime. Particularly those crimes which matter most to many of us, such as car theft and anti social behaviour. This depends on being adequately supported by professionals. If elected I would focus on some specific themes:

• addressing the fear of crime
  • providing adequately for victims of crime
I wish to pay particular attention to crimes of:

• domestic violence
  • hate crimes
  • people trafficking
recognising the suffering these unleash on their victims.

Finally the impact of drugs and alcohol trigger many crimes, so these deserve priority consideration. This statement has been prepared by Ian Chisnall
http://www.Ian4PCC.com

pros: Prepared his own statement, independent, experience working with police and groups, focus on domestic violence, hate crimes and people trafficking
cons: he looks off (I know that's not a good con, c'mon leave me alone!)

Godfrey David said:
Election statement:

Sussex needs a Police & Crime Commissioner with wide experience of Criminal Justice. Godfrey Daniel was a Member of the Sussex Police Authority for over 7 years and a member of the Sussex Probation Board for 6 years. He has been a magistrate since 1989. He wants to “Cut Crime not Police”.

His family home has been in Hastings for the last 26 years, after moving from Frant (near Wadhurst). He studied at Sussex University for 4 years, living in and around the Brighton & Hove area.

Godfrey has had a successful career in teaching, fostering, residential social work and local government. He is a Hastings Borough Councillor (since 1994) and an East Sussex County Councillor (since 1997). He is the Chair of Planning on both those Councils. He is also involved in the mental health field as an Associate Hospital Manager for Sussex Partnership Trust. He tries to find time to sing in choirs and supports various musical societies.

Godfrey believes that Sussex Police must work closely with the local community to sustain and enhance neighbourhood policing and dealing effectively with antisocial behaviour. His priorities include reducing domestic violence, hate crime, alcohol and drugs issues.

He strongly opposes moves to privatise police services (eg G4S) and cuts to policing.

Godfrey was the Lead Member for Volunteers on the Police Authority, and looks forward to working closely with the voluntary sector in Sussex.

Godfrey Daniel has a lifetime of experience in public service and his knowledge of policing and strong commitment to the people of Sussex is very evident (www.godfreydaniel.org.uk). Godfrey is not afraid of making tough decisions.

Sussex deserves a credible, competent and capable Police & Crime Commissioner. If you agree, please vote for Godfrey Daniel.

Form prepared by election agent John Leahy

Pros: Sussex Alum, supports musical societies. Experience as magistrate and on probation board
Cons: I'm always wary of people who say things like "I'm not afraid to make tough decisions". sings in a choir. Experience as a coucillor

David Rogers said:
Election statement:

David Rogers for a safer Sussex

I’ve lived in Sussex for nearly 40 years, over 35 of them as an elected councillor. My children grew up here. It’s a great place to live. Now I want to make it even better and safer.

I know and understand all parts of our diverse area, as during that time I’ve lived in Brighton & Hove, West Sussex and East Sussex.

My priorities:

• Cutting bureaucracy to help the police spend more time on the streets
  • Giving new powers to communities to tackle anti-social behaviour
  • A new approach to community sentencing
  • Targeting extra resources to cut all forms of domestic violence
As a long-standing member of the Sussex Police Authority until three years ago, including a two-year term as Chair (2001-3), I have a strong track record of working on crime and disorder across Sussex

It is vital that the new Police Commissioner should stand up for a common-sense approach to crime and antisocial behaviour, as many police officers want.

Work together to cut crime

The Police and Crime Commissioner must work in partnership with others, including councils and local health organisations.

• Alcohol is a factor in about 44% of violent crime: I will work with the Accident and Emergency services at Sussex hospitals, and local councils, to address these issues.
  • One million women in England & Wales experience domestic violence each year; health services can help support them to report this.
  • Drug users are responsible for over one third of acquisitive crime like burglary: effective treatment can cut their crime levels by about half.
I hope that residents across Sussex will back me on November 15th to act for them.

For more information visit: david4safersussex.com

Message approved by Robert Banks

Pros: Lid Dem, cutting bureaucracy, common sense approach, focus on domestic violence, drugs and alcohol as causes
Cons: Lib Dem cutting bureaucracy and common sense approach seem the sorts of bland things people just say

I think my legitimate reasons for or against each candidate tends to be repeated in more than one of them, so I'm not sure I really know if any of them really appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here