• Will turn up and spoil my ballot paper

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Won't turn up to vote

Votes: 34 44.2%

• Total voters

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am with you on politics in police. Here in Essex we have 2 independents standing, one of whom states the same view.

He will be getting my vote tomorrow
The Sussex independent is actual backed by the church .? They should not be involved in politics until they sort out its own problems? No such thing as an independent? Also whoever wins they will have to swear an oath of impartiality before taking office, committing them to tackle the role with integrity, echoing the pledge police officers make to serve every member of the public impartially. The operational independence of Sussex Police is unaffected.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Indeed, given the deposit is £5k anyone thinking of voting for an "independent" should ask them where that £5k came from.

The "independent" in this case is unvoteforable (great word), but the type of person who wants to run for this sort of post has probably been quite successful in their chosen career, finding £5k shouldn't be a problem.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The "independent" in this case is unvoteforable (great word), but the type of person who wants to run for this sort of post has probably been quite successful in their chosen career, finding £5k shouldn't be a problem.

It's where they find that £5k from that concerns me. Their own pocket ? Then fine, they are truely independent. The B&H "independent" has been funded by both the church and a Green councillor ( or possibly even the Green Party depending upon what you believe ). He will therefore be influenced by these funding sources - not very independent at all really.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Perhaps next time around, NSC should nominate you. Nice cushy job, fat salary. Excellent canvassing skills ala the Seagulls Party. Could be onto a winner there?

To be honest, given the likely low turnout, it should be easy to get [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] in using NSC and @Bozza could fund her deposit from NSC funds !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps next time around, NSC should nominate you. Nice cushy job, fat salary. Excellent canvassing skills ala the Seagulls Party. Could be onto a winner there?

I'm working on a manifesto now.

-safe standing at grounds
-the introduction of a new pie variety every month, to be voted for on NSC
- an experimental cloning procedure to be implemented immediately, combining Vicente's football skills with Mo Farah's fitness & stamina
-a different variety of cider to be on sale at the Amex concourse bars
-A safety inspection to reveal that Selhurst Park does not meet Premier League standards, thus ensuring that, should they finish in a promotion spot, they will not be allowed into the PL
-a safety inspection to reveal that Selhurst Park does not meet Championship standards, requiring immediate demotion to the Blue Square Premier and a fine of...£50 million for taking the piss for so long.

Rest to follow when I've thought of them. Vote Krabappel.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's where they find that £5k from that concerns me. Their own pocket ? Then fine, they are truely independent. The B&H "independent" has been funded by both the church and a Green councillor ( or possibly even the Green Party depending upon what you believe ). He will therefore be influenced by these funding sources - not very independent at all really.

I understand the point, but I would worry more that he seems to be a creationist than where he got the money from.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How long has the Abu Qatada been going on ?

Local council elections only get about 20% turnout, should we abolish the councils too. (maybe not such a bad idea !)

Not all of the previous incumbents gave repeated (and impossible) assurances that they were pursuing the correct legal strategy to get him deported though, only to be proven embarrassingly wrong.

And 20% is probably a best case scenario turn out for tomorrow.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You keep on peddling this nonsense.

Doing so doesn't make it any more valid. It simply isn't true.

The key word is may ( rather appropriate given who set these elections up ). Given the candidate in question hasn't clarified whether the money came from a supporter who happened to be a Green councillor or if it was an indirect donation from the Green party he can hardly complain when people draw their own conclusions. Maybe each candidate should have the declare where their funds came from ?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm working on a manifesto now.

-safe standing at grounds
-the introduction of a new pie variety every month, to be voted for on NSC
- an experimental cloning procedure to be implemented immediately, combining Vicente's football skills with Mo Farah's fitness & stamina
-a different variety of cider to be on sale at the Amex concourse bars
-A safety inspection to reveal that Selhurst Park does not meet Premier League standards, thus ensuring that, should they finish in a promotion spot, they will not be allowed into the PL
-a safety inspection to reveal that Selhurst Park does not meet Championship standards, requiring immediate demotion to the Blue Square Premier and a fine of...£50 million for taking the piss for so long.

Rest to follow when I've thought of them. Vote Krabappel.

I like those - this is looking good for a landslide.

Portsmouth to be wound up immediately, just 'cos you can?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The key word is may ( rather appropriate given who set these elections up ). Given the candidate in question hasn't clarified whether the money came from a supporter who happened to be a Green councillor or if it was an indirect donation from the Green party he can hardly complain when people draw their own conclusions. Maybe each candidate should have the declare where their funds came from ?

In other words, make things up to suit your own agenda. You give Shirley Porter an air of morality.

The Green Party has not funded, nor part-funded, Ian Chisnall's campaign. In fact, they have gone further and have stated - in exactly the same terms you have - that they disagree strongly with the further politicisation of the police, and are endorsing no candidates.

When it comes to voting, the councillor I spoke to yesterday about this is going to do exactly the same as you.

The former Green councillor in question is, according to Ian Chisnall, a personal friend from the same church. She may or may not have made a contribution, but if so, it was in a personal capacity. Ian Chisnall, for what it's worth, also claims to have local Conservative members in his election team.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like those - this is looking good for a landslide.

Portsmouth to be wound up immediately, just 'cos you can?

-all footballers to have to address the referee as "sir", like they do in rugby
-it to become a yellow card offence to run casually across the ball when you've just conceded a free kick, thus preventing it being taken quickly
-an independent fans panel to be set up to retrospectively review diving accusations, and to award them marks out of ten for dramatics, fining/banning the players.
-Steven Gerrard to be fined £100,000 every time he wafts an aimless long curling pass forward into touch while playing for England

This is looking a bit football-centric so far, must come up with a few policies to appeal to the common voter...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Off with their Heads !

The Police have got to be subject of control and not just make up their own minds who to arrest, target and bully$. Political control is democracy. The problem is there is only one person elected and not a Committee. The interpretation of how the laws are meant to be inflicted may be only in her own bubble and not the society at large. (i.e. like it is now, when they choose which complaints to investigate based on some mysterious criteria, often based upon the status of the complainant).

It is best to turn up even if you spoil the ballot paper to see the mandate each of the candidates has.

If the BBC did proper interviews instead of the farce, you would actually be able to find out that at least three of the four do not know the function of the Police in British society, i.e. GCE 'O' Level British Constitution. I asked. Only two replies.

Two idiots, one bully, one OK (actually not quite) and one unknown. Make up your own mind. The BBC were disgraceful with their interviews, like a an election for a Pantomime Act.

$ This is arguable. M (French philosopher) said the legislature (elected) should not interfere with the executive (Police etc.) but this is not actually practical.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
In other words, make things up to suit your own agenda. You give Shirley Porter an air of morality.

The Green Party has not funded, nor part-funded, Ian Chisnall's campaign. In fact, they have gone further and have stated - in exactly the same terms you have - that they disagree strongly with the further politicisation of the police, and are endorsing no candidates.

When it comes to voting, the councillor I spoke to yesterday about this is going to do exactly the same as you.

The former Green councillor in question is, according to Ian Chisnall, a personal friend from the same church. She may or may not have made a contribution, but if so, it was in a personal capacity. Ian Chisnall, for what it's worth, also claims to have local Conservative members in his election team.

Out of interest, have you thought of becoming the Press Officer for the Green Party ? I ask as I never see you defend any so called "untruths" against any of the three main parties but someone only has to post a minor uncomplimentary comment about the Greens and you get all huffy and puffy !

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
-all footballers to have to address the referee as "sir", like they do in rugby
-it to become a yellow card offence to run casually across the ball when you've just conceded a free kick, thus preventing it being taken quickly
-an independent fans panel to be set up to retrospectively review diving accusations, and to award them marks out of ten for dramatics, fining/banning the players.
-Steven Gerrard to be fined £100,000 every time he wafts an aimless long curling pass forward into touch while playing for England

This is looking a bit football-centric so far, must come up with a few policies to appeal to the common voter...

You forgot to make it a serious offense for Barnes or CMS to miss a goal scoring opportunity.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
-all footballers to have to address the referee as "sir", like they do in rugby.

In the states I think they already do. When playing ex-pat football in Taiwan we briefly had a very useless American goalie while another team had an American outfield player who looked like ZZ Top's singer and claimed to be able to speak Cat. They both called the Taiwanese refs 'sir'. The rest of our team was mainly tattooed Brits so naturally we greeted every decision with OH FOR f***'S SAKE REF. Must have confused 'em nearly as much as the need for this PCC election has confused me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports