Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Really can't understand why we let him go.

Our second most stupid decision regarding letting players go after the Murray debacle. Now we have to go into the transfer market for a central defender after letting an excellent one slip through our fingers.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And regular first team football, which is exactly the same reason why his CB partner, Elphick, went.

We should have had someone at the club with the nous to see his potential and give him first team football at the expense of Greer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And regular first team football, which is exactly the same reason why his CB partner, Elphick, went.

Interesting. He was already starting to make our first 11 wasn't he? Gus made a very bad, very short-termist call on Cook IMHO.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Interesting. He was already starting to make our first 11 wasn't he? Gus made a very bad, very short-termist call on Cook IMHO.

There's no proof it was Gus' call is there?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, he wasn't. El-Abd was ahead of him, as was Calde playing at CB when Greer was injured or suspended.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're mistakenly thinking that he would be the self same player had he stayed with us that he has become with them.

It seems that he has thrived within their training playing environment, whereas he wasn't with us, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone's at fault.

The club has a status higher than before, young players released will get opportunities at other professional club's, some will outperform their earlier potential.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, he wasn't. El-Abd was ahead of him, as was Calde playing at CB when Greer was injured or suspended.

Interesting. How did he get to play then? Or did I imagine that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're mistakenly thinking that he would be the self same player had he stayed with us that he has become with them.

It seems that he has thrived within their training playing environment, whereas he wasn't with us, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone's at fault.

The club has a status higher than before, young players released will get opportunities at other professional club's, some will outperform their earlier potential.

Good post. These things happen but some always want someone to blame.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Hmmm. He showed he had potential when he played for OUR first team. You seem a bit over-critical of our DS setup.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I imagine it was a bit to do with attitude and the Jurys Inn trial, which was the main reason he was let go

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Please note I said regular first team football not off the bench now & again or a cup game. There's a big difference.

Indeed, and I said "He was already starting to make our first 11". I didn't claim he was a regular.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He was the manager at the time.

And Bloom was the owner why don't we blame him as well, Cook's worth a decent amount of money.

I think the last few years have taught most fans that not all player signings and leavings can be blamed or praised on the manager. Maybe Gus wanted to keep him but told the offer was too good to resist of a fourth/fifth choice centre-back. Maybe Cook had his head turned at the promise of a first team football and there was no option of keeping him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here