Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Chelsea have players on loan all over Europe. We all know why. Hardly relevant to any other club.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wouldn't mind betting that Cook earns more at Bournemouth than several established players do here, so...

And I wouldn't mind betting that this Courtois geezer might have had a little more to say for himself had he experienced the collective delights of Havant & Waterlooville, Eastleigh, Eastbourne Borough and Mansfield :whistle:

.........on a Tuesday night :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Cook went on loan to Bournemouth but Elphick didn't. El-Abd and Dunk were ahead of them for those positions.

I doubt that we will do anything about Ward until the manager arrives. Maybe Burke has had a word with him to say he will be in touch, but that's guesswork.

Youth players coming here will want to have a chance to break into the first team, but if they are way down the pecking order, then they have a right to go elsewhere.

Yep they have got the right to play elswhere but it could have been achieved through the loan system. I know Cook would have a sell on clause. but even so he was very cheap at £180k, hardly much extra change in the pocket.

Different choices could have been made. Hypothetical I know, but this last season we could have let Upson go, sold El Abd which we did anyway, and recalled Cook if he was at the end of a season loan, with him Dunk and Greer fighting for their places.

At the end of the day Greer and Upson will be history before we know it and with my dispassionate head on I would have prefered to go into next season and future seasons with Cook, Dunk and Elphick. At least then years are on our side which they are not now.

I don't think there is a right or wrong to the decision but we chose a short term solution rather than long term.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep they have got the right to play elswhere but it could have been achieved through the loan system. I know Cook would have a sell on clause. but even so he was very cheap at £180k, hardly much extra change in the pocket.

Different choices could have been made. Hypothetical I know, but this last season we could have let Upson go, sold El Abd which we did anyway, and recalled Cook if he was at the end of a season loan, with him Dunk and Greer fighting for their places.

At the end of the day Greer and Upson will be history before we know it and with my dispassionate head on I would have prefered to go into next season and future seasons with Cook, Dunk and Elphick. At least then years are on our side which they are not now.

I don't think there is a right or wrong to the decision but we chose a short term solution rather than long term.

Let it go, c'est la vie and all that.

I'd love it if Cook was still with us, but it was never going to happen given the circumstances at the time. Trust me, the move was a very amicable one and best for both club and player. No point keep going back over old ground now with if buts and maybes.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Let it go, c'est la vie and all that.

I'd love it if Cook was still with us, but it was never going to happen given the circumstances at the time. Trust me, the move was a very amicable one and best for both club and player. No point keep going back over old ground now with if buts and maybes.

Don't worry I'm not going to dwell on it :lolol: it was more of the debate on whether we were forced and had to let him go, over there was a loan option choice as well. Some are of the view that there was only one option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hoskins...£ half million...two years wages..then release him..
Why is it every single club on the planet have transfers that just don't work out.

But people on here feel the Albion should be 100% perfect when it comes to the buying and selling of players.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why is it every single club on the planet have transfers that just don't work out.

But people on here feel the Albion should be 100% perfect when it comes to the buying and selling of players.

Nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as we remember to learn from them. Hoskins had a history of injuries, same as Buckley and Orlandi, so if we are going to pick players up like this they have to be on the cheap knowing they are high risk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as we remember to learn from them. Hoskins had a history of injuries, same as Buckley and Orlandi, so if we are going to pick players up like this they have to be on the cheap knowing they are high risk.
In Buckley's case we did, and now I've written it down Hoskins, too.
Young, fast, technically gifted, English. (to clarify that's as in settled, not a UKIPish comment)

The problem with football is the fact that £1m is cheap.

That's not the Albion's fault.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Mistake to let him go. "El Abd was ahead of him." Strewth! Adam was a great trier and an honest 100%er but he was always a Div 1 or 2 player. How he beat Elliot Bennett and Glenn Murray to the Player of the Season Award when we were Div 1 Champions tells you a lot about something. Steve Cook was the first man of the match at the Amex even though it was just the Senior Cup.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Don't worry I'm not going to dwell on it :lolol: it was more of the debate on whether we were forced and had to let him go, over there was a loan option choice as well. Some are of the view that there was only one option.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that Cook's contract expired in 2012 (he signed professional terms in 2009) and he did not want to sign an extension. Hence we sold him.
Sometimes the club have to look short term if the player does not want to stay and not everyone we sign is going to be happy waiting for their chance. We are going to get a lot more of this scenario from the academy....

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that Cook's contract expired in 2012 (he signed professional terms in 2009) and he did not want to sign an extension. Hence we sold him.
Sometimes the club have to look short term if the player does not want to stay and not everyone we sign is going to be happy waiting for their chance. We are going to get a lot more of this scenario from the academy....

You are correct that his contract was expiring in June 2012 (I have no idea if he had refused to sign an extension or not).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No he didn't. He had no history of injuries at all. (He played 47 games for Bristol Rovers the season we signed him.)

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
His transfer value has just dipped dramatically having revealed he is listening to Coldplay.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

You may well be right. Grant Hall wanting to leave stands firmer in my mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here