Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I remember when Tommy went, Gus said he was very upset about it because he knew youngsters wanted to play regularly, whereas he knew they hadn't got the experience to get us promoted (ignoring the fact that internationals failed too) which was his mandate from the board.
He understood players & how they wanted to develop.

Why I'm bothering to discuss this with you is beyond me, as Gus is evil incarnate to you. Some decisions were not his to make. As has already been pointed out, Bournemouth were paying very good wages.

Forget the Gus thing. Do you think it was a good decision to let Cook leave / not fight to retain him?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, I admit I don't like the guy (Gus). But I also think it is naive to think the control freak that is Gus had no say in Cook's departure.

I'm sure he was involved at some point but so would Bloom and Stephenson. In hindsight the club look to have made a mistake, but while I was very impressed with against Man City and Liverpool(?) I remember at the time thinking £150,000 was a lot of turn down for down from a League 1 club someone who'd played a couple of league games and a had a few non-promising loans spells in non-league.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure he was involved at some point but so would Bloom and Stephenson. In hindsight the club look to have made a mistake, but while I was very impressed with against Man City and Liverpool(?) I remember at the time thinking £150,000 was a lot of turn down for down from a League 1 club someone who'd played a couple of league games and a had a few non-promising loans spells in non-league.

Whereas I looked at Cook's performances (admittedly not that many of them), and thought we should retain him, unless offered silly money.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just heard Steve Cook signed a new three year deal with Bournemouth today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That Lallana dosh was a touch for our South coast neighbours.

Yep, not read up on it but was told they got 25% of the Lallana fee. Right result for them!

Wise swift investment of it too I'd say in tying up Cookie on a longer contract.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Absolutely not, my point was regarding the inevitable unforeseen potential in some young players.

Our youngsters are now brought up within a well respected Youth/DS environment, when released other clubs feel they might be recruiting a player that have the necessary attributes to succeed with another club.

This is likely to throw up anomalies where a player might go on and surpass BHA initial potential assessments when considering a young player, every decision has its consequences.

The process's seem to be in place to minimise the exposure of letting young talent leave the club and excel elsewhere but it cannot be guaranteed.
For this read Ian Wright and Roy Keane, the former had no potential and lazy while the latter was to small Hic

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just heard Steve Cook signed a new three year deal with Bournemouth today.

Signing a new deal doesn't necessarily mean he's staying, it may be simply to maximise the fee should he leave.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why does him signing a new 3 year deal put an end to transfer speculation? All it could me is they have put a release clause in the contract! They did that with Grabban and then sold him a few months later!

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
'Apparently' we have learnt our lesson with the release clauses. Hopefully that means there isn't one in Cook's new contract! (we live in hope). As with Grabban, we have the funding, but we couldn't get anywhere near what Norwich were offering him per week - which makes you wonder what they are paying him.

We are getting £4 million from the Lallana deal - that must be upfront with more to come I hope. Otherwise they have diddled us out of £2 mill!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here