Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Indeed, and I said "He was already starting to make our first 11". I didn't claim he was a regular.

An agreement had already been made with Bournemouth when he was recalled from loan due to our defensive injury crisis and he played one game (and looked very good) but before his loan, he wasn't in contention for a starting place in our side.

He went out on loan to get 1st team football and it's a shame we didn't lend him out on a long term loan but always with a view to stay and play in the first team for us. (as other clubs do with their youngsters)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And Bloom was the owner why don't we blame him as well, Cook's worth a decent amount of money.

I think the last few years have taught most fans that not all player signings and leavings can be blamed or praised on the manager. Maybe Gus wanted to keep him but told the offer was too good to resist of a fourth/fifth choice centre-back. Maybe Cook had his head turned at the promise of a first team football and there was no option of keeping him.

And maybe Gus wasn't interested in keeping him a la Murray?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
When players want to go or won't sign a new contract, it makes it difficult. Some work out, some don't. If only the club had a crystal ball, eh?

LoL! Yes, I am being a bit 'Captain Hindsight' I suppose, although pretty sure I expressed my dissatisfaction that we weren't fighting to keep Cook at the time of his departure.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's what he wanted & why he left, for regular first team football.

Was it? I don't recall TBH, and can't be bothered to go searching either. Still, he's gone, and our club now look a bit silly IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
In what way ??

You said "You're mistakenly thinking that he would be the self same player had he stayed with us that he has become with them." I read that as meaning Bournemouth developed him well, but we couldn't. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was it? I don't recall TBH, and can't be bothered to go searching either. Still, he's gone, and our club now look a bit silly IMHO.

No, we don't. He went to a League 1 club which has been developed into a Championship side. Don't tell me that others clubs don't release youngsters who then go on to find their level the same as the club they left!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, we don't. He went to a League 1 club which has been developed into a Championship side. Don't tell me that others clubs don't release youngsters who then go on to find their level the same as the club they left!

No TB, I'm not saying that at all. But I am saying that when that happens, the selling club looks a bit silly. Especially when, as is the case with us now, they are decidedly short in that position (we are 2 CB's down IMHO).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No TB, I'm not saying that at all. But I am saying that when that happens, the selling club looks a bit silly. Especially when, as is the case with us now, they are decidedly short in that position (we are 2 CB's down IMHO).

And we knew that 2 years ago, with another manager in between?

Yes, you're right. It must be all Gus's fault!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe, but no-one has any proof, that's the point.

Proof!! Why does there always need to be proof!? Forgive me for thinking this is NSC, a football forum where opinions are exchanged. Gus made a sh1t call on Murray. Probably the worst one he made. Well at least before his gross misconduct shenanigans.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And we knew that 2 years ago, with another manager in between?

Yes, you're right. It must be all Gus's fault!

We had a young very promising CB. We let him go. Bad decision by Gus. He wasn't perfect you know. Far, far from it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I think you are overstating it a bit. Where would that leave Liverpool, who have signed Rickie Lambert, who they "let go as a youngster about 15 years ago, or Manure, who are reportedly now interested in re-signing Paul Pogba, whom they had on their books fairly recently as a big name signing, and then let him go.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on.......

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You said "You're mistakenly thinking that he would be the self same player had he stayed with us that he has become with them." I read that as meaning Bournemouth developed him well, but we couldn't. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Absolutely not, my point was regarding the inevitable unforeseen potential in some young players.

Our youngsters are now brought up within a well respected Youth/DS environment, when released other clubs feel they might be recruiting a player that have the necessary attributes to succeed with another club.

This is likely to throw up anomalies where a player might go on and surpass BHA initial potential assessments when considering a young player, every decision has its consequences.

The process's seem to be in place to minimise the exposure of letting young talent leave the club and excel elsewhere but it cannot be guaranteed.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Proof!! Why does there always need to be proof!? Forgive me for thinking this is NSC, a football forum where opinions are exchanged. Gus made a sh1t call on Murray. Probably the worst one he made. Well at least before his gross misconduct shenanigans.

We're not talking about Murray, we're talking about Cook. And you were claiming it was Gus' fault without any proof.
Everyone can have an opinion, you often present your opinion as fact and I was pointing out your basing you blaming of Gus on your hatred of him rather than any knowledge or facts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We had a young very promising CB. We let him go. Bad decision by Gus. He wasn't perfect you know. Far, far from it.

I remember when Tommy went, Gus said he was very upset about it because he knew youngsters wanted to play regularly, whereas he knew they hadn't got the experience to get us promoted (ignoring the fact that internationals failed too) which was his mandate from the board.
He understood players & how they wanted to develop.

Why I'm bothering to discuss this with you is beyond me, as Gus is evil incarnate to you. Some decisions were not his to make. As has already been pointed out, Bournemouth were paying very good wages.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think you are overstating it a bit. Where would that leave Liverpool, who have signed Rickie Lambert, who they "let go as a youngster about 15 years ago, or Manure, who are reportedly now interested in re-signing Paul Pogba, whom they had on their books fairly recently as a big name signing, and then let him go.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on.......

I get it. No need to go on. I guess I just don't like the fact that we've let a good young CB go, and are currently 2 down in that position. That is all.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely not, my point was regarding the inevitable unforeseen potential in some young players.

Our youngsters are now brought up within a well respected Youth/DS environment, when released other clubs feel they might be recruiting a player that have the necessary attributes to succeed with another club.

This is likely to throw up anomalies where a player might go on and surpass BHA initial potential assessments when considering a young player, every decision has its consequences.

The process's seem to be in place to minimise the exposure of letting young talent leave the club and excel elsewhere but it cannot be guaranteed.

Got it. Fair enough.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We're not talking about Murray, we're talking about Cook. And you were claiming it was Gus' fault without any proof.
Everyone can have an opinion, you often present your opinion as fact and I was pointing out your basing you blaming of Gus on your hatred of him rather than any knowledge or facts.

Yes, I admit I don't like the guy (Gus). But I also think it is naive to think the control freak that is Gus had no say in Cook's departure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here