Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Best memory of Cookie, he was almost in Falmer Stn when he cleared the ball off the line against Shitehampton

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We could have just extended his loan rather than get rid of him completely and I see this as bad business.

He certainly could have played a part in our future and it was a mistake to sell him. He had a great game at RB as well against Liverpool in the Cup and was probably MOM that day.

You can't keep a player long term by keep loaning him out, something will have to give eventually. Bournemouth made him an offer too good to turn down, the club could not guarantee him first team football in the immediate future at the time and so did the right thing by him in letting him go so he could have a chance to further his career. He's taken that chance with both hands and I'm very pleased for him. I know he's very happy down at Bournemouth and also really enjoyed his time with us. Hopefully the club will have had a decent sell on clause in there somewhere, if and when he makes a further step up.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Nice to see us dwelling over the past again. Cook was sold. If he does well, he does, if he doesn't he doesn't. And if his wellness coincides with us again maybe we will buy him back. Who knows? As for Grant Hall, he made his decision and I don't think either party has benefited.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If a player wants to leave instead of sitting on the bench, keeping him would build up resentment. He was 4th choice CB, so it was only fair to sell him.

It was my understanding at the time that Cook & Elphick didn't specifically want to leave Brighton but went out to Bournemouth on loan for about 3 months at the end of the 2011-12 season to get game time. Grant Hall on the other hand was desperate to leave.

Now as far as building for the future Greer and Upson will not be part of that so there was no reason why Cook & or Elphick didn't just have a year extension for the 2012-13 season.

It's all about decisions and there are no set rules to making them, but they have different outcomes long term. Bournemouth have benefitted massively from us thinking only short term.

I mean what’s going to happen with Ward now? We have had him on loan for a season so is the only option to buy him now or try and get another season loan?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You can't keep a player long term by keep loaning him out, something will have to give eventually. Bournemouth made him an offer too good to turn down, the club could not guarantee him first team football in the immediate future at the time and so did the right thing by him in letting him go so he could have a chance to further his career. He's taken that chance with both hands and I'm very pleased for him. I know he's very happy down at Bournemouth and also really enjoyed his time with us. Hopefully the club will have had a decent sell on clause in there somewhere, if and when he makes a further step up.

Yep I understand this and I am pleased for him also. There are no fixed rules to the way it is played and you live and die by the sword.

As I have asked Thunder Bolt on the Ward scenario connected with loans, what do we try to do, ask for another season loan or buy him?

Dec 29, 2011
You can't keep a player long term by keep loaning him out, something will have to give eventually.

Chelsea have done a good job with Courtois (he's been on loan for 3 years), they now have the services of the worlds best keeper for the next 15 years. Worked out pretty well for them :thumbsup:

At least we put in a sell-on clause, but a buy-back option would have been nice. A Dunk-Cook partnership could have been a good one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was my understanding at the time that Cook & Elphick didn't specifically want to leave Brighton but went out to Bournemouth on loan for about 3 months at the end of the 2011-12 season to get game time. Grant Hall on the other hand was desperate to leave.

Now as far as building for the future Greer and Upson will not be part of that so there was no reason why Cook & or Elphick didn't just have a year extension for the 2012-13 season.

It's all about decisions and there are no set rules to making them, but they have different outcomes long term. Bournemouth have benefitted massively from us thinking only short term.

I mean what’s going to happen with Ward now? We have had him on loan for a season so is the only option to buy him now or try and get another season loan?

Cook went on loan to Bournemouth but Elphick didn't. El-Abd and Dunk were ahead of them for those positions.

I doubt that we will do anything about Ward until the manager arrives. Maybe Burke has had a word with him to say he will be in touch, but that's guesswork.

Youth players coming here will want to have a chance to break into the first team, but if they are way down the pecking order, then they have a right to go elsewhere.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep I understand this and I am pleased for him also. There are no fixed rules to the way it is played and you live and die by the sword.

As I have asked Thunder Bolt on the Ward scenario connected with loans, what do we try to do, ask for another season loan or buy him?

I have no idea how the Ward situation will pan out, but I'd hope that the club will pull out all the stops to try and buy him, if they can. I'm sure they will as it's clear what a class act he's been for us this season.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Chelsea have done a good job with Courtois (he's been on loan for 3 years), they now have the services of the worlds best keeper for the next 15 years. Worked out pretty well for them :thumbsup:

At least we put in a sell-on clause, but a buy-back option would have been nice. A Dunk-Cook partnership could have been a good one.

Thanks for spotting that. Chelsea bought him for £5m and he has been out on loan for 3 seasons.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Is that the keeper at Atlético Madrid? If so, I bet his wages didn't change for starters, and he was loaned to a club playing in one of the top Leagues in Europe. Cracking shop window for the player!

Bit different to the Cook scenario, as the loans for him at the time were to lower league clubs (if memory serves Bournemouth were a division below us at the time and won promotion that season?) and the permanent move meant a substantially better deal for him.

I won't disagree with you on a Dunk - Cook partnership looking like a good one now though. But life is full of wonderful hindsight and at the time it was the best deal all round for both player and the club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is that the keeper at Atlético Madrid? If so, I bet his wages didn't change for starters, and he was loaned to a club playing in one of the top Leagues in Europe. Cracking shop window for the player!

Bit different to the Cook scenario, as the loans for him at the time were to lower league clubs (if memory serves Bournemouth were a division below us at the time and won promotion that season?) and the permanent move meant a substantially better deal for him.

I won't disagree with you on a Dunk - Cook partnership looking like a good one now though. But life is full of wonderful hindsight and at the time it was the best deal all round for both player and the club.

I wouldn't mind betting that Cook earns more at Bournemouth than several established players do here, so...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here