Red Cross giving first aid lessons to taliban

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IRC presence in Afghanistan doing what they have done globally since their inception = Legitimate.

HM Forces presence in Afghanistan to give 'moral' rather than military support to the USA, the most powerful military machine on earth, who could more than cover the withdrawal of British forces, against the Taliban that have never attacked the UK or British interests = Stupid waste of British lives.

Guess who will STAY in Afghanistan, long after the US and the UK decide to leave.

Pakistani and Saudi taliban.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
I think it is the training aspect that is the problem, treatment is fine but to actually train people is not really on for me and if true would stop me donating.

I suppose the other problem is the terrorist aspect, these are not part of the a regular Army, they are terrorists (or freedom fighters dependent on your view) so should they not be handed over to the local Afghan authority to prevent them commiting further crimes, possibly killing a British soldier? If they are not then this aspect alone would probably stop me donating as well.

A difficult one for the Red Cross who are a brillaint organisation

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think it is the training aspect that is the problem, treatment is fine but to actually train people is not really on for me and if true would stop me donating.

I suppose the other problem is the terrorist aspect, these are not part of the a regular Army, they are terrorists (or freedom fighters dependent on your view) so should they not be handed over to the local Afghan authority to prevent them commiting further crimes, possibly killing a British soldier? If they are not then this aspect alone would probably stop me donating as well.

This is the point though, is it not. How many of the Taliban in Afghanistan do you think are responsible for terrorist acts in other countries?

The fact is our government (and the US) has decided to demonise the Taliban as terrorists. They are bad people, they were a tyranical regime when in power. The one thing they are not is terrorists. Certainly not in their operations within Afghanistan, it is their country and they are attacking an occupying power propping up a puppet government.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Someone else who has totally misunderstood the red cross. By your reasoning they also should be handing over British soldiers to local authorities as they are committing mass murder of innocent civilians, correct? The red cross is an international organization who don't take sides, it may seem wrong to you but they don't see the different between a British soldier being killed by the Taliban and a British soldier killing a member of the Taliban. Should the red cross have also been rounding up the nazis during world war 2 for fighting for what they believed in because it didn't agree with our views?

The Taliban are also not terrorists, they are not responsible for 9/11, 7/7 or anything else, they are bad people yes, they are responsible for a lot of deaths but that doesn't mean that they are terrorists.

Last edited:

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy

Agree with this.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
Someone else who has totally misunderstood the red cross. By your reasoning they also should be handing over British soldiers to local authorities as they are committing mass murder of innocent civilians, correct? The red cross is an international organization who don't take sides, it may seem wrong to you but they don't see the different between a British soldier being killed by the Taliban and a British soldier killing a member of the Taliban.

The Taliban are also not terrorists, they are not responsible for 9/11, 7/7 or anything else, they are bad people yes, they are responsible for a lot of deaths but that doesn't mean that they are terrorists.

I understand the Red Cross and I understand their neutrality in treating injured combatants when in a theatre of war for example the Falklands, where two countries regular forces are fighting both backed to some extent by the Governments of those countires . In fact I support that action

I am voicing my personal concern in this instance in donating to an organisation that TRAINS people who in my view are terrorists.

Where did I say that I thought that the Taleban were responsible for 9/11 or 7/7 of course they were not, (although they did allow an organisation to prepare for those attacks in Afghanistan) they are however fighting against the democratically elected (however flimsy that democray) government in Afghanistan, so in my view they are terrorists.

Do you see where I am coming from?

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Bollocks to the rights and wrongs of the politics involved.

I have no intention of donating money to an organisation that is trainig people who are currently intent on killing British soldiers.

My money, my decision. End of.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

I have no intention of donating money to an organisation that is trainig people who are currently intent on killing British soldiers.

I couldn't put it better myself.:clap:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I understand the Red Cross and I understand their neutrality in treating injured combatants when in a theatre of war for example the Falklands, where two countries regular forces are fighting both backed to some extent by the Governments of those countires . In fact I support that action
Ok

I am voicing my personal concern in this instance in donating to an organisation that TRAINS people who in my view are terrorists.

So your happy for the Red Cross to treat people, but you don't want to empower them to help themselves? I really dont see where you are coming from here, the red cross are not interested in who they are helping.

Where did I say that I thought that the Taleban were responsible for 9/11 or 7/7 of course they were not, (although they did allow an organisation to prepare for those attacks in Afghanistan) they are however fighting against the democratically elected (however flimsy that democray) government in Afghanistan, so in my view they are terrorists.

I really don't agree with you here, fighting against democracy doesn't make you a terrorist, oppressor yes but that doesn't make them a terrorist. And definitely doesn't mean they should not have access to some basic health training.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

But happy to pay your taxes which have funded the deaths of hundreds of innocent civilians?

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Have you ever donated to them?

I run an honesty tuck shop at work. Profits go to charity - currently Cancer Research. We ask the staff to choose a new charity every so often. Red Cross has never been selected yet but it'll be off the list from now on.

Personally, I've probably chucked a few coins in collection boxes in the past but nothing significant so they won't miss my donations.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
So your happy for the Red Cross to treat people, but you don't want to empower them to help themselves? I really dont see where you are coming from here, the red cross are not interested in who they are helping.

Yes I am happy that they treat people particlurly British forces but anyone who is injured. And no I dont want them training the Taleban to treat themselves using the money I donate.

I really don't agree with you here, fighting against democracy doesn't make you a terrorist, oppressor yes but that doesn't make them a terrorist. And definitely doesn't mean they should not have access to some basic health training.[/QUOTE]

We will have to disagree in this then, they do have a choice here, they can lay down their arms and join in the democratic process or keep on bombing.

If they become part of the solution then they will get some basic health care eventually who knows maybe even a proper health service which it would seem the majority of their fellow Afghans want.

Or they can continue to be part of the problem I guess and take their chances on either a coalition or Red cross medic helping them if they need it. But the Red Cross will not be getting any more of my money if they are training them to help themselves

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I run an honesty tuck shop at work. Profits go to charity - currently Cancer Research. We ask the staff to choose a new charity every so often. Red Cross has never been selected yet but it'll be off the list from now on.

Personally, I've probably chucked a few coins in collection boxes in the past but nothing significant so they won't miss my donations.

Well thats nice, everyone else might want to donate but because you dont like them they wont be getting anyone cash. :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Fair enough. As you said, it's your money.

But you have totally missed the point of the ICRC, and what's going on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports