[Football] Pot the Red?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
On TS, It took Gobby Agbonlahor all of 5 secs to say 'Sorry Brighton', then state 'DeZerbi should go straight to Man U, they should be chasing him relentlessly and he would go at the first sniff'.

To me, he sounded desperate to throw RDZ in, strike up a conversation about it and get to the commercial break before anyone suggested Emery. The knob.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Ratcliffe & Brailsford rate Potter. The major issue is how quickly INEOS can transform the structure and patch up the holes (some literal) of that behemoth. Their guns will also be pointed at our club - just as Clearlake’s are/were; but hopefully they don’t have Boehly’s billions.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Although I'm in the "Potter is a much better coach than some would have you believe" camp, Man United is 100% the wrong club for a manager looking to rebuild his reputation. Not just Potter, any manager. They have a similar problem to Chelsea in as much as they have a massive, overpaid, unbalanced squad and little patience.

Potter has also had the "new man for the new owner" experience and (in all honesty he didn't do worse that Pochettino is doing) being Ratcliff's man means he will either get time, of binned when it gets nervy. The thing at United is they tried the natural successor (Moyes), the successful (Mourinho), the experience (van Gaal), the club legend (Solksjaer) and the youngish up-and-comer (ten Hag)... there aren't many profiles left to try

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Although I'm in the "Potter is a much better coach than some would have you believe" camp, Man United is 100% the wrong club for a manager looking to rebuild his reputation. Not just Potter, any manager. They have a similar problem to Chelsea in as much as they have a massive, overpaid, unbalanced squad and little patience.

Potter has also had the "new man for the new owner" experience and (in all honesty he didn't do worse that Pochettino is doing) being Ratcliff's man means he will either get time, of binned when it gets nervy. The thing at United is they tried the natural successor (Moyes), the successful (Mourinho), the experience (van Gaal), the club legend (Solksjaer) and the youngish up-and-comer (ten Hag)... there aren't many profiles left to try
The History teacher😂

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On TS, It took Gobby Agbonlahor all of 5 secs to say 'Sorry Brighton', then state 'DeZerbi should go straight to Man U, they should be chasing him relentlessly and he would go at the first sniff'.

To me, he sounded desperate to throw RDZ in, strike up a conversation about it and get to the commercial break before anyone suggested Emery. The knob.
First time in 12 weeks he’s said anything that wasn’t about how good Villa are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ratcliffe & Brailsford rate Potter. The major issue is how quickly INEOS can transform the structure and patch up the holes (some literal) of that behemoth. Their guns will also be pointed at our club - just as Clearlake’s are/were; but hopefully they don’t have Boehly’s billions.
You hope Jim Radcliffe doesn't have the money? - boy are you in for a surprise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that it'll happen, even if they appoint him tomorrow, lol, but it could make for an enjoyable last home game of the season!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Agbonlahor is my Eskimo bro, soooo...

:lolol:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
He would have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
He does well, he's the messiah, he does shite and he gets a huge payoff.
He'll relish the challenge of attempting to rouse a sleeping giant and I can't see him worrying for one second if it's the wrong club for him.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
…then screw it back
For the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and black
Snooker loopy nuts are we
We're all snooker loopy.

Having seen the thread title I’m disappointed this isn’t a tribute to the Chas & Dave classic.
You total bastard.

Since reading this post a couple of hours ago I haven’t been able to stop this spinning round in my head. I’ve even broken into song a couple of times.:mad:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Potter is a better than most of you think. I hope he will succeed wherever he might end up. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done with todays squad, which is A LOT better than what he had at the time (incl Ali Mac and Caicedo).
Probably about 95% of Brighton fans would acknowledge that Potter is a good coach. (And yes it would have been interesting to see what he would have done with the current squad). The antipathy towards him is based around the way he left, and also the comments he made before and afterwards ('History lessons', 'Easy life at Brighton', etc). That has tended to cloud people's judgements, and also the fact that in all respects most of us would say that RDZ is better.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Potter's been out of management since April, and hasn't been involved in any TV work AFAIK, so the prospect of managing Man Utd might appeal to him.
If you're an ambitious manager, and relish a challenge, why would you not want to join one of the biggest clubs in the world?

On the other hand, I sense that he thinks he operates on a higher plane than mere money and being in a 'top' job, so he might just walk away from it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Against the grain a bit, but I think he might do ok for them. You look at Ten Haag and ultimately it seems he doesn't have a style or a plan - he looks way out of his depth. I think he's probably been the worst manager they've had in some time. God knows how they finished 4th last season.

But their problems are not so much the quality of players as the attitude surrounding the club. He'd very quickly decide who was and wasn't worth having. I think he'd get the most out of maligned players like Maguire and McTominay and also that the likes of Fernandes and Antony would quickly be shown the door. Say what you like about Maguire, but he's won the league and is getting on a bit now so has a wealth of experience. Getting the most out of him amounts to more than just having faith to pick him every week, and Potter has the man management skills to spot and utilise that.

Crucially - unlike when he was here - he'd also have the budget to buy strikers good enough to take what chances did come their way.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I hope GP has enough good friends and family around him to tell him his lack of charisma is not suited to the United job.
He must still be mentally scarred by his Chelsea experience. To try and repair the toxic condition of Manchester United is beyond him.
Somewhere like Bristol City or Norwich would be far more suitable and satisfying.
Money isn't everything.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think most of us realise that Potter is a good coach and should have been given more time by Chelsea. Let`s face it Pochetinno is hardly pulling up trees. No European Football they should be challenging for top six with that squad.
This. Pochetino is doing nothing that Potter would have been doing, had Boehly not lost his nerve and given in to the howls of entitlement from shallow fans who thought that anybody who wasn't a world famous multi CL winning manager must automatically not be good enough for Chelsea (unfortunately, some of the players believed this too, and needed to be moved on - which is what Potter would have done, same as Poch).
United wouldn't be a good move for Potter though - he'd have the same problems again from a possibly even more toxic dressing room than Chelsea's, and confirmation bias would make his job virtually impossible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports