Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pot the Red?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You total bastard.

Since reading this post a couple of hours ago I haven’t been able to stop this spinning round in my head. I’ve even broken into song a couple of times.:mad:

(I hope this helps...)

Now Terry the Taff was born in a gaff
In the valleys of the land of song
And as the reds he puts to bed
He likes to sing along
"If I win", he says with a grin
"It can only help me, caaarn't it?"
"I'll celebrate, I'll buy another eight"
"Hairbrushes for me barnet..!!!"

Snooker loopy nuts are we,
Me and him and them and me,
etc etc ad nauseam

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Potter is a fine coach.

Poch is doing much worse, with more money being spent, yet no one bats an eyelid because he's a BIG NAME and clearly isn't at all out of his depth, because that was lazy journalism towards Potter which wouldn't be replicated for Poch at all.

Man United could do much worse than get Potter in and rebuild the entire club from the top down, because that's clearly what's needed there. Been stumbling along on and carried by streaky form players for about 8 seasons now. Martial, then Rashford, then Fernandes, then Rashford again, now McTominay.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does he need a history lesson on the club?
I literally cannot wait for their reaction when he wheels that out after they've got beaten at home by Sheffield United

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Against the grain a bit, but I think he might do ok for them. You look at Ten Haag and ultimately it seems he doesn't have a style or a plan - he looks way out of his depth. I think he's probably been the worst manager they've had in some time. God knows how they finished 4th last season.

But their problems are not so much the quality of players as the attitude surrounding the club. He'd very quickly decide who was and wasn't worth having. I think he'd get the most out of maligned players like Maguire and McTominay and also that the likes of Fernandes and Antony would quickly be shown the door. Say what you like about Maguire, but he's won the league and is getting on a bit now so has a wealth of experience. Getting the most out of him amounts to more than just having faith to pick him every week, and Potter has the man management skills to spot and utilise that.

Crucially - unlike when he was here - he'd also have the budget to buy strikers good enough to take what chances did come their way.
Fernándes was the main reason they managed to finish fourth, wasn't he? He's a whiny, play-acting turd but he's their only creative player. If Potter goes there I would think his number one task would be to get horse face on board.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Against the grain a bit, but I think he might do ok for them. You look at Ten Haag and ultimately it seems he doesn't have a style or a plan - he looks way out of his depth. I think he's probably been the worst manager they've had in some time. God knows how they finished 4th last season.

But their problems are not so much the quality of players as the attitude surrounding the club. He'd very quickly decide who was and wasn't worth having. I think he'd get the most out of maligned players like Maguire and McTominay and also that the likes of Fernandes and Antony would quickly be shown the door. Say what you like about Maguire, but he's won the league and is getting on a bit now so has a wealth of experience. Getting the most out of him amounts to more than just having faith to pick him every week, and Potter has the man management skills to spot and utilise that.

Crucially - unlike when he was here - he'd also have the budget to buy strikers good enough to take what chances did come their way.
When did Maguire win the league?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Fernándes was the main reason they managed to finish fourth, wasn't he? He's a whiny, play-acting turd but he's their only creative player. If Potter goes there I would think his number one task would be to get horse face on board.

So far this season Harry Kane has had more assists at Old Trafford than Bruno Fernandez has..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Potter's been out of management since April, and hasn't been involved in any TV work AFAIK, so the prospect of managing Man Utd might appeal to him.
If you're an ambitious manager, and relish a challenge, why would you not want to join one of the biggest clubs in the world?

On the other hand, I sense that he thinks he operates on a higher plane than mere money and being in a 'top' job, so he might just walk away from it.
I thought straight away reading this thread that he might prefer to take on Stoke.
Depends perhaps whether he wants to prove himself on the big stage or go back to building from modest beginnings, which is what he has succeeded at before.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I thought straight away reading this thread that he might prefer to take on Stoke.
Depends perhaps whether he wants to prove himself on the big stage or go back to building from modest beginnings, which is what he has succeeded at before.
Stoke fans won't appreciate watching actual football. We were shite at set pieces and don't think I ever saw a long throw in

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Who knows? He comes from not that far away in Solihull, and he could be put off the big stage by his brief experience at Chelsea.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
You hope Jim Radcliffe doesn't have the money? - boy are you in for a surprise.
Oh he’s got money. What he doesn’t have is ownership of the business and his due diligence of football operations has laid bare United’s issues with FFP. A (still) progressive British Potter-like coach rather than an Ancelloti/Zidane makes sense when another round of ‘buying’ improvement is off the agenda.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think most of us realise that Potter is a good coach and should have been given more time by Chelsea. Ler`s face it Pochetinno is hardly pulling up trees. No European Football they should be challenging for top six with that squad.

But Man Utd? No, no, no.
Yep. He was bullied out, just like some on here would 'virtually' bully him, for his unattractive west midlands accent, teeth sucking and vestigial playing career. I admit to having made 'comments' myself. Our second most effective manager ever. My bad.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So from Chelsea, entitled fans and a legacy of Conte, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Benitez, Ranieri, Scolari, Tuchel and club legend Lampard not being good enough...

...to Man Utd with possibly even more entitled fans and a legacy of van Gaal, Mourinho, Ten Hag, Moyes and club legend Solskjaer not being good enough.

I guess it's a relatively easy way to guarantee a big pay day after two seasons of tolerating a bit of booing while knowing everyone is blaming the owners more than you.
To be fair they loved Tuchel, but the fat yank didn’t

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here